Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 20,563 times

Advertisements

I'm from NJ and I've been considering moving to NC. It's too expensive in NJ and I have a teaching degree and it's impossible to find a teaching job here and that's really want I want to be doing. I want to buy a townhouse also and it's way too expensive up here. I have friends at Fort Bragg and I'm interested in the Raleigh area and would be making the move alone. I plan on meeting w/a realtor when I go down to visit my friends in a few weeks. Even though my friends aren't too far away, any advice for someone who would be making the move by themself? Easy to meet people, friendly people, don't do it????? I'm a very independent person so being along isn't a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
There are always challenges to moving to a new area and finding ways of getting connected. However, the Triangle does have a lot of appeal, and there is demand for qualified teachers. I don't think it's particularly tough to meet people. Glad you are considering NC!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 PM

119 posts, read 367,886 times
Go for it!!! It gets much harder to move and try out new places later in life sometimes. Sounds like you are an independent person who will make friends easily. Good luck!!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 PM

347 posts, read 933,835 times
We love you Yankees come on down...

Can I say that now that i have lived down here 5 years?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 PM

91 posts, read 309,001 times
I have a client that came to the Wake County School Fair, got a teaching job and moved here from Detroit, she loves it here, and now we are looking for her a townhome. She met people at the job fair and made friends and roommates with them. Best of Luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:08 PM

7 posts, read 20,563 times
I think I will be going to the Wake County job fair in April. I'm hoping I can go there and get lucky. I have been in contact w/an agent and will probably meet w/her when I go to the fair and I plan on going down again in June to look some more. Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
I completely understand your reasons for moving to NC. A good friend of mine in the mortgage biz just moved to Cary, since the market is so bad in Fla. He loves it and is doing great! I was just up there last week to "check it out". I loved it! What a great place! Not too busy, and the people are very friendly and helpful! I'm also in the process of looking for job, etc up there. I think you, and I for that matter, are making a very "healthy" choice! Best of luck to you!!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:56 PM

21 posts, read 65,955 times
I can relate to how you feel but think it will end up being a great move for you. I live in NY and am divorced and one of my friends who is also divorced lives in Florida. We both have been talking about relocating to the area and have just started to gather information. I wish you all the best. Good luck.

Last edited by mm34b; 03-25-2008 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Links to other forums is not permitted.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:56 AM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
You will love the area. As long as you make an effort to meet people you will find that the area is very friendly and outgoing. Find things to do that will put you in contact with other people your age and who have similar interests. Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
We have so many young teachers in this area that I think it will be fairly easy for you to make friends at work. There are also a lot of social opportunities in this area as well. My SIL moved down here a few years ago right after college (we are originally from IL) and lived with us for about a year before moving into an apartment. She's met lots of friends at work and she actually found a couple of her roommates on Craigslist. She's had no problem at all making friends. She's like you--independent and not afraid of doing things on her own.

We've been here almost 10 years now and have found the people to be very friendly. There are so many newcomers here who are in the same boat that lots of social opportunities are available.

Plus, the weather is awesome and its wonderful to be located between the beach and the mountains. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary