Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:49 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,263 times

Advertisements

My sister and I have finally convinced our parents to sell their house in the north and move closer to one of us. So, now, we are comparing costs for our two cities.

My parents like the idea of a 55+ community but I've reached out to a couple 55+ communities and they can't afford them. (Small, approximately 700 sq foot, 1 bedroom apartments for $3000-$5000 ) Seriously?! My sister has found much of the same in Denver.

So, now we're thinking it would be better financially for them to just rent in a regular apartment community...but perhaps one that seems to have some older residents (i.e., not all young 20s). Do you know of any such apartments in the area?

My Dad would like to stay around $1500/month but would be willing to go up to $2000. They do live independently and my Dad drives, but he isn't interested in taking care of a house anymore (hence, the renting) and one level would be best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:06 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
There is one right now in Troon at Kildaire. Not 55+.
$1600/month.
1554SF.
2 car garage.
Pool and clubhouse.
Central Cary location at corner of Kildaire Farm and Cary Parkway.

Does it have to be a rental?

Weatherstone Condos off NW Maynard surely can be purchased for under $2000/month.
It is not a HUD-approved 55+, but was pitched to seniors by the developer.
One level living, in secured elevator building.
They sell for $200,000 +/-.
Run about 1000--1100SF.

Neither rentals nor sales come up very often at Weatherstone.
Sales are more common at Troon than rentals, so I was surprised to see one on the MLS.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:37 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
My sister and I have finally convinced our parents to sell their house in the north and move closer to one of us. So, now, we are comparing costs for our two cities.

My parents like the idea of a 55+ community but I've reached out to a couple 55+ communities and they can't afford them. (Small, approximately 700 sq foot, 1 bedroom apartments for $3000-$5000 ) Seriously?! My sister has found much of the same in Denver.

So, now we're thinking it would be better financially for them to just rent in a regular apartment community...but perhaps one that seems to have some older residents (i.e., not all young 20s). Do you know of any such apartments in the area?

My Dad would like to stay around $1500/month but would be willing to go up to $2000. They do live independently and my Dad drives, but he isn't interested in taking care of a house anymore (hence, the renting) and one level would be best.
I think what you and your sister found at those prices was assisted living - most provide meals, utilities, drivers, events, some household help, for those who can still live independently, but need some help and to be watched over. Those facilities should NOT be compared with a standard apartment.

The Meadows at Brier Creek is senior apartments, but is low income restricted, and there's a waiting list.
I've also heard of Elder's Creek, The Woods at ?, Capital Towers (income restricted, I think).

DEFINITELY check out Bartlett Reserve in Durham. I know someone who lives there and the LOVE it.

But, ultimately, they may have to accept living in a regular apartment complex with mixed ages. Raleigh Newcomers Group (or Cary Newcomers Group) would be a good place for them to meet others. Or maybe they could consider a townhome in Creekside at Bethpage (new construction).

Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think what you and your sister found at those prices was assisted living - most provide meals, utilities, drivers, events, some household help, for those who can still live independently, but need some help and to be watched over. Those facilities should NOT be compared with a standard apartment.

The Meadows at Brier Creek is senior apartments, but is low income restricted, and there's a waiting list.
I've also heard of Elder's Creek, The Woods at ?, Capital Towers (income restricted, I think).

DEFINITELY check out Bartlett Reserve in Durham. I know someone who lives there and the LOVE it.

But, ultimately, they may have to accept living in a regular apartment complex with mixed ages. Raleigh Newcomers Group (or Cary Newcomers Group) would be a good place for them to meet others. Or maybe they could consider a townhome in Creekside at Bethpage (new construction).
We thought the same thing, and the communities do have an assisted living component, but the prices they quoted are for the Independent Living buildings. I just talked to one on Friday. I probably came across as rude but I was flabbergasted. I told her my parents could get a 2-3 bedroom apartment for less than half the $3000 price she quoted me. She did say it came with one meal a day in the dining room but the rest of the amenities (e.g., gym, pool) would be pretty standard in most apartment communities.

I flew out to visit my sister and parents a couple weeks ago and we drove around to several places near her. We only looked at Independent Living places and those really were the price ranges.

Thank you for the names of other possibilities. I will check them out!

Old 04-03-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Does it have to be a rental?

Weatherstone Condos off NW Maynard surely can be purchased for under $2000/month.
It is not a HUD-approved 55+, but was pitched to seniors by the developer.
One level living, in secured elevator building.
They sell for $200,000 +/-.
Run about 1000--1100SF.
Thanks, Mike. I will check it out.

I have mentioned several times that they could buy a small townhouse or condo here for $200k+ but it is up in the air right now. My sister is against them buying anything and right now my Dad seems to agree with her. It will probably depend on how much they can get for their current house.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:32 PM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
Thanks, Mike. I will check it out.

I have mentioned several times that they could buy a small townhouse or condo here for $200k+ but it is up in the air right now. My sister is against them buying anything and right now my Dad seems to agree with her. It will probably depend on how much they can get for their current house.
Check your DMs.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:58 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
I know it's not going to help the OP and his parents, but ironically, I just spotted this article. Rental apartments for seniors are sprouting in Miami | Miami Herald

Old 04-03-2018, 02:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I know it's not going to help the OP and his parents, but ironically, I just spotted this article. Rental apartments for seniors are sprouting in Miami | Miami Herald
That is a great article! I'm in that exact age group, retired and active and definitely not ready for assisted living, and I'd prefer not to live around millennials or screeching babies. At the same time, I'm not interested in being the youngest person in the building, with everyone in their 80's. So, as the article discusses, there is a niche rental market for those of us who are active and retired and want a more urban and fun living experience, not golf and tennis. And not everyone wants the responsibility and hassles (HOA) of a condo, not to mention the lack of flexibility to move if it doesn't work out.

Last edited by xz2y; 04-03-2018 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 02:44 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,411 times
There are several senior-focused apartments and communities along Pickett Rd. in Durham. That's a good location as it's convenient to Duke, VA, and UNC medical centers and several clinics nearby. That's where my mother-in-law lives.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:52 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
There are several senior-focused apartments and communities along Pickett Rd. in Durham. That's a good location as it's convenient to Duke, VA, and UNC medical centers and several clinics nearby. That's where my mother-in-law lives.
Really great info. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary