Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:50 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Some good tips already given. (Saxapahaw General store is AWESOME!!!!)

I also would consider Allen and Son's in Orange County (hwy 86, not 15/501)
I've heard good things about Wooden Nickel, so I'll second that.
Mediteranian Grocery in Durham (in Parkwood Neighborhood) is great

And not to be a smartass, but also check Yelp. Lot's of good tips there, and you can read the reviews and see what resonates with YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:16 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
For those who might be newer to Raleigh, I think that I'm correct when I say that the original Darryl's was on Hillsborough Street @ Oberlin Road. It's the current location of David's Dumpling & Noodle Bar. I ate there all the time in College.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:21 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
"...take 54 on to Carrboro and Chapel Hill..." but NOT from Carrboro to 87. there are new traffic lights activated this week
on 54 west of Carrboro that have been backing up traffic for miles. saw it for myself today. what a mess.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
And for next weekend, ... try out the Outlet Mall that's to the south (SSE).
Carolina Premium Outlets, 1025 Outlet Center Dr, Smithfield, NC 27577
Pretty much the same driving distance (depending on where in Raleigh you start).
Some nice places to eat around there too.

I went there last year, on the way back from visiting the Green Beret museum in Fayetteville.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"...take 54 on to Carrboro and Chapel Hill..." but NOT from Carrboro to 87. there are new traffic lights activated this week
on 54 west of Carrboro that have been backing up traffic for miles. saw it for myself today. what a mess.
No, 54 is fine if you want to go that way. I drive it every day. The new lights were out of sync yesterday, but are okay today. The back up wasn't really that long anyway, just about 10 minutes. I was in it. You don't need to be on 54 at all though if you just want to come down Mebane Oaks Rd to Sax-Beth Rd to go to Saxapahaw. I'm sure they will sync the lights soon. I think the light at Neville Rd was the hold up. They had it switching every 20 seconds or so, but that was yesterday like I said. It was fine today and they were back to blinking yellow lights.

I think the new traffic lights will really help on 54, fwiw. That road sees a LOT of traffic for a two lane road and it's pretty dangerous. They really needed to do something to control traffic better. The lights they put in at Dodson's Crossroads last year and at SaxBeth/Mebane Oaks this year do seem to have helped. I wish they would re-paint 54 at the Sax-Beth/Mebane Oaks intersection, though. There needs to be a left turn lane. Right now they have a straight ahead lane and a right turn lane. I think they could either add a left turn lane or just turn the right turn lane into a straight/right lane and let the current straight lane be a left turn lane. The problem is there's not a left turn signal or left turn lane and folks coming from Carrboro who want to go to Saxapahaw have to wait in the straight-ahead lane to turn left. Sometimes they will have to wait through the full cycle of a green light if there's too much traffic heading east toward Carrboro. You just can't get across. If folks behind the left turners don't swing out into the right turn lane to go around traffic just backs up at the green light and that's no good.

Wouldn't recommend 87 unless you want to go to Pittsboro. 87 doesn't go to Carrboro or Chapel Hill. Pittsboro is cute, though and you could go to Angelina's or the Pittsboro Roadhouse or S&T's Soda Shoppe. 87 hits 40/85 west of Mebane, though, in Graham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary