Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete168 View Post
Coming from the Northeast I don't understand the reasoning behind extending and burying the downspouts into the ground using those corrugated pipes instead of using an L shape elbow above grade, gutter contractors extend those tubes to drain water away from the foundation but once the landscapers come around to level the ground and do their landscaping they just crush and bury those tubes in the dirt causing a blockage and water backing up near the foundation thus rendering them useless.
The idea is have a landscaper that doesn’t just crush them. Or as the other poster said, you can use the 4” pvc piping as well. Also, many of these are added after the fact where there’s no landscaper to worry about and the corrugated is way easier to put in in that scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:04 AM

26 posts, read 31,467 times
Unfortunately after the builder built our home the landscaper covered most of those exit drains (and cut my internet cable twice in the process during separate weeks of work), there were 9 pipes extended before landscaping was done and now I can only find 2 of them. In hindsight I should have asked the construction manager to remediate this during our first year of ownership where they would fix anything wrong, I was too focused back then on the interior and exterior above grade items so I never gave it a second thought. I venture into the crawlspace to check the walls for any signs of water stains every 3 months, so far haven't noticed anything and the ground is dry so I am considering myself lucky for now.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:04 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete168 View Post
Coming from the Northeast I don't understand the reasoning behind extending and burying the downspouts into the ground using those corrugated pipes instead of using an L shape elbow above grade, gutter contractors extend those tubes to drain water away from the foundation but once the landscapers come around to level the ground and do their landscaping they just crush and bury those tubes in the dirt causing a blockage and water backing up near the foundation thus rendering them useless.
Erosion and better control of water because you can run them underground anywhere you want. I buried two of mine myself and have another one to do this year. I'm my own landscaper so I have no issues with anyone coming over and crushing them. They are very strong anyways.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:11 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Something we see (and repair) often is the builders tie the foundation drain at the lowest corner of the crawlspace to the exterior perimeter drain around the foundation, then forget to bring it to daylight. The perimeter drain fills during rain and water follows the path of least resistance right up the pipe into the crawlspace.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:26 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kba0206 View Post
I went through three Santa Fe dehumidifiers in about five years. The customer service is good; they sent out replacement units for free and arranged for the old units to be picked up. But I didn't find them to be any more reliable than the cheaper brands. It's a mystery to me why nobody seems to be able to make a humidifier that can last longer than a year or two -- even in our sealed crawlspace.
Thanks for that info - after reading so many reviews it seems like dehumidifiers in general are very unreliable. That's too bad. Because isn't a dehumidifer basically an air conditioner? It's just the evaporator and condenser are in different locations.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
I had my crawl space sealed and an XP90 installed and it could not get the humidity below 65% and ran constantly. It failed after 6 months and Horizon claimed my crawl space was too large for it and tried to get out of replacing it. They ended up replacing after some fighting. I ended up buying an Advance 2 and having it installed along with the XP90. If it fails again I will throw it out and have another Advance 2 installed in its place. With both running , it stays dry (50%) and neither run much.

Edit: https://www.sun-beltusa.com/ is located in Raleigh (off Atlantic rd) and sells both Horizon and Sante Fe
Thanks for that - they said they have the Santa Fe Advance 2 in stock and they would help me with any warranty repairs. I would just need to drop it off their location in Raleigh.

They also said their customers have been VERY unhappy with the Horizon Titan XP90 and actually don't recommend it.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:09 PM

51 posts, read 48,386 times
This thread has been very interesting/informative to read. We are new to the area from New England where we had a foundation/basement/no clay soil, and I don't recall ever really hearing of a "crawlspace" until we started to look at homes to buy here. As we look at older homes (not brand new construction but generally built around 95-02) is there something that we should be on the look-out for when looking into the crawl space? I am nervous that we'll end up buying a mold-infested crawlspace after reading this thread - that might be having impact to the first floor or is infested with critters. I realize we will get an inspection once we make an offer but are there bad signs/symptoms to look for before an offer is made - sorry to be so clueless but this type of foundation / soil and combined w/ the humidity is totally new to us. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 PM

765 posts, read 473,178 times
been living in this townhome on a hill, and obviously there is no french drain in the back, i have an awful moisture problem, and though it's been four years and i bought a dehumidifier from Lowe's i still have awful mold and mildew in my dirt crawl space, with plastic on the floor and the $180 bill from the handyman who covered the vents with some moldable insulating stuff.... i'm at a loss what to do or who to call.... i went to my area NextDoor neighborhood website that i use to ask for recommendations around my area for a good drainage guy, got the name for one, i guess i shouldn't mention his name, but he never showed up, despite 3 or 4 polite reminders from me.

It seems if i want to rip out the insulation, get it better insulated, buy a more expensive dehumidifier this will cost $2 to $3 grand..... almost impossible for an elderly old woman on a fixed income.

GOOD Luck though.... and if you hear about a good drainage guy or reasonable crawl space company, please let me know!!!! bright blessings.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:40 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat211 View Post
This thread has been very interesting/informative to read. We are new to the area from New England where we had a foundation/basement/no clay soil, and I don't recall ever really hearing of a "crawlspace" until we started to look at homes to buy here. As we look at older homes (not brand new construction but generally built around 95-02) is there something that we should be on the look-out for when looking into the crawl space? I am nervous that we'll end up buying a mold-infested crawlspace after reading this thread - that might be having impact to the first floor or is infested with critters. I realize we will get an inspection once we make an offer but are there bad signs/symptoms to look for before an offer is made - sorry to be so clueless but this type of foundation / soil and combined w/ the humidity is totally new to us. Thanks!
Stick your head in the crawl and see if it smells musty. If you are brave go in there and look around. Look for standing water, mold, or high humidity. Or just let your inspector do that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
been living in this townhome on a hill, and obviously there is no french drain in the back, i have an awful moisture problem, and though it's been four years and i bought a dehumidifier from Lowe's i still have awful mold and mildew in my dirt crawl space, with plastic on the floor and the $180 bill from the handyman who covered the vents with some moldable insulating stuff.... i'm at a loss what to do or who to call.... i went to my area NextDoor neighborhood website that i use to ask for recommendations around my area for a good drainage guy, got the name for one, i guess i shouldn't mention his name, but he never showed up, despite 3 or 4 polite reminders from me.

It seems if i want to rip out the insulation, get it better insulated, buy a more expensive dehumidifier this will cost $2 to $3 grand..... almost impossible for an elderly old woman on a fixed income.

GOOD Luck though.... and if you hear about a good drainage guy or reasonable crawl space company, please let me know!!!! bright blessings.
Send a direct message to Sacredgroves. He does crawl space work and made all those great recommendations.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:23 PM

Anyone else have a dehumidifier from a big box store running in their NC crawlspace? I have a Danby dehumidifier from Costco that's been running almost nonstop during warmer weather in my crawlspace since my "commercial" Titan XP90 is out of service most of the time.

I'm pleased with how it's doing - keeping the humidity low and has an automatic pump to keep water out. I'm sure the compressor is not going to last much longer than this upcoming summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary