Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:53 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
You should be taking a combination of things like flonase plus an antihistimine either zyrtec, allegra, or claritin. The allergy doc is probably going to have you do this anyway since allergy shots take a while to kick in.
1- Zyrtec daily for me.
2- When that doesn't knock it out, Flonase (Costco brand) daily, as needed usually gets it done.

3- On particularly bad days, like when the pollen looks like a green blizzard, I also use a Nasal Irrigation (I prefer NeilMed, some others prefer the netty pot).

OP, this combination has not failed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 09:47 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
I've read reports that local honey doesn't actually help with pollen relief. I just suck it up and take Zyrtec none stop during the spring.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:44 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
1- Zyrtec daily for me.
2- When that doesn't knock it out, Flonase (Costco brand) daily, as needed usually gets it done.

3- On particularly bad days, like when the pollen looks like a green blizzard, I also use a Nasal Irrigation (I prefer NeilMed, some others prefer the netty pot).

OP, this combination has not failed me.
I too take Costco generic Zyrtec and Flonase every day and that combo seems to work for me too. I am allergic to our lovely pets in addition to seasonal allergies. Luckily these drugs are very inexpensive now. I started taking them when they were prescription only, yuck that was expensive.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 AM

20 posts, read 14,471 times
I've been taking Claritin D, and Mucinex... guess I should swap out the Mucinex for Flonase. I miss breathing.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I would also recommend ibuprofen for its ability to reduce swelling. I don't have seasonal allergies, but I do get occasional sinus irritation from the pollen. Makes me feel congested and then a bit sneezy. Taking ibuprofen opens things up because it reduces inflammation and "swollen nasal passages".

Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichellefromMiami View Post
I've been taking Claritin D, and Mucinex... guess I should swap out the Mucinex for Flonase. I miss breathing.
Have you tried steaming for a few minutes a couple times a day? That is helpful when my allergies are out of control. I use some peppermint oil drops too mixed in with the steam.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 PM

17 posts, read 16,576 times
Manuka Honey...It is from New Zealand. Its sold at Costco. I had daily dose for 8 months now. No allergies so far ( knock on wood) . I used to have severe allergies at this time for years .

Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
be careful to use clean water with a netti pot, I've heard horror stories

I've used them for years BTW

Old 04-13-2018, 10:03 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,485 times
There has been no scientific evidence found so far that honey makes any difference in allergy symptoms. One person selling local honey on our Nextdoor was making such claims and I did some research last year. Other than a placebo effect, it's unlikely to provide any relief. I still bought the honey and it was delicious (expensive though) but no effect otherwise.

Others have already suggested OTC antihistamines and a spray for running nose. Zyrtec is the strongest one. Allegra didn't work for our kid but we had good success with Claritin (generic from Costco). Read the instructions. The OTC allergy drugs take some time to build up, from what I understand. When I had an allergy before, it always got better as soon as I started taking the meds but not immediately.

If none of the antihistamines work for you at all then maybe it's not an allergy. Either way a doctor should be able to run some tests to find out.

Good luck! Make sure to schedule an appointment in advance.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
You should be taking a combination of things like flonase plus an antihistimine either zyrtec, allegra, or claritin. The allergy doc is probably going to have you do this anyway since allergy shots take a while to kick in.
Yes, Flonase is available as non prescription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary