Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

WUNC had an interview with Pierce Freelon yesterday and they talked about gentrification in Durham a little. Might be of interest to some on this thread:

Pierce Freelon Champions An Afrofuturist World For North Carolina Youth | WUNC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 10:25 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
WUNC had an interview with Pierce Freelon yesterday and they talked about gentrification in Durham a little. Might be of interest to some on this thread:

good post, poppydog

Old 04-17-2018, 02:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Gotta love this quote:

"You want to make the community safe? Give the people jobs."

Hey just think how life would be if everyone were given a job! No need to aspire to be better or invest in education or anything, you get a job from the government and all is well. Why stop there? Why not have the government give you housing and food too?

Soon your pet will also be on the SNAP food program! (half joking)

http://fortune.com/2018/01/30/food-s...tion-pet-food/

Old 04-17-2018, 02:58 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Gotta love this quote:

Hey just think how life would be if everyone were given a job! No need to aspire to be better or invest in education or anything, you get a job from the government and all is well. Why stop there? Why not have the government give you housing and food too?

Online Petition Asks USDA to Allow Food Stamps for Pet Food | Fortune
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...19/304/old.jpg

Old 04-17-2018, 03:00 PM

678 posts, read 738,198 times
Quote:
Gotta love this quote:

Online Petition Asks USDA to Allow Food Stamps for Pet Food | Fortune
How is this any different from coal miners in West Virginia who want Trump to give them their coal jobs back, instead of aspiring to better and invest (learn non-coal jobs) in themselves?

Old 04-17-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Oh I know. I've been in Texas too much already. The conservative is rubbing off.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:04 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
need to start importing them bootstraps!!!!!!

Old 04-17-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
How is this any different from coal miners in West Virginia who want Trump to give them their coal jobs back, instead of aspiring to better and invest (learn non-coal jobs) in themselves?
Well Trump doesn't hand them a job nor does the government employ them, and let's not even go down the T road because I didn't vote for him and I'm still shell shocked that we are where we are today......

Loosening regulations to allow private jobs to become viable is something totally different than the government giving someone a job. But if you can't tell the differentce we don't have much to agree on, and we won't change each other's mind.

Not to mention the entire mindset of feeling the entitlement to be "given" a job just rubs me the wrong way.

As far as learning non coal jobs:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ky-hillbillies

Old 04-17-2018, 03:21 PM

678 posts, read 738,198 times
Quote:
Well Trump doesn't hand them a job nor does the government employ them, and let's not even go down the T road because I didn't vote for him and I'm still shell shocked that we are where we are today......

Loosening regulations to allow private jobs to become viable is something totally different than the government giving someone a job. But if you can't tell the differentce we don't have much to agree on, and we won't change each other's mind.

Not to mention the entire mindset of feeling the entitlement to be "given" a job just rubs me the wrong way.

As far as learning non coal jobs:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ky-hillbillies

Coal jobs (on a large scale) are not viable, and loosening environmental regulations to help the coal industry is virtually the same as giving them a government handout. As long as fracking is still a thing, cheap natural gas is here to stay, and coal (except for its industrial uses) is on the way out.

But if you can't tell the difference (non-difference really) between Pierce Freelon pandering to his minority base, and Trump/other conservatives pandering to non-college educated blue collar workers, then we don't have much to agree on

Last edited by bpains29; 04-17-2018 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
Coal jobs (on a large scale) are not viable, and loosening environmental regulations to help the coal industry is virtually the same as giving them a government handout. As long as fracking is still a thing, cheap natural gas is here to stay, and coal (except for its industrial uses) is on the way out.

But if you can't tell the difference (non-difference really) between Pierce Freelon pandering to his minority base, and Trump/other conservatives pandering to non-college educated blue collar workers, then we don't have much to agree on
Well I didn't bring up coal, you did, so you are arguing against yourself here which you might find entertaining but I find it a waste of my time.

As far as loosening regs go again you cherry picked one very left slanted one (that Obama even supported!!) and then argued against it which I agree with - coal is an archaic and dirty way to power our country.

But to put all regulations on the same plane as coal, well like I said if you believe that than we aren't going to ever agree so just stop hitting the quote button...

(As one small asinine example look up backdoor Roth IRA...you might even have to jump through the same hoops I do)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary