Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Two drinks in three hours, and my wife also said the same thing and she didn't drink. I also had coffee. They were nothing great and they were hot and fresh. Good donuts but not great, and definitely not worth the calories.
It's ok, your taste buds are accustomed to years of a nastier doughnut and there's not fixin' that.. j/k, it's a preference but you're obviously conditioned for something other than KK...and vice versa from people who are KK fans.

By the way, I grew up near Wilmington and we'd fish all night on the pier in Carolina Beach, Wrightsville, etc then hit KK...Brits, are good and a specialty for locals, but as far as glazed doughnut chain, it's KK. And in my opinion, a hot KK is still better than Brits.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 05-19-2018 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 12:11 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I know Shipley's.....absolutely nothing compares to KK hots...not even close. Not Dunkin, not Shipley's, not Ducks, etc. I used to travel a lot and people would try to convince me otherwise about certain regional doughnuts. Nah, KK hots are in a class of their own.
Sorry, gotta disagree. KK tastes like chemicals to me.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:11 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Two drinks in three hours, and my wife also said the same thing and she didn't drink. I also had coffee. They were nothing great and they were hot and fresh. Good donuts but not great, and definitely not worth the calories.
Well, sorry they didn't work out. I'm a little different, but I don't like KK donuts hot off the line. I actually like them after they cool down a little. When I go to the Raleigh location I ask for one or two from the back side of the line.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:23 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Agreed. Really weird aftertaste, and maybe it's because of the ingredients.

Ingredients: Enriched bleached wheat flour- (contains bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine, mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), dextrose, vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil), water, sugar, soy flour, egg yolks, vital wheat gluten, yeast, nonfat milk, yeast nutrients (calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate), dough conditioners (calcium dioxide, monocalcium and dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, sodium stearoyl-2-lacrylate, whey, starch, ascorbic acid, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate), salt, mono-and-diglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides, lecithin, calcium propionate (to retain freshness), cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavors, fungal alpha amylase, amylase, maltogenic amylase, pantosenase, protease, sodium caseinate, corn maltodextrin, corn syrup solids and BHT (to help protect flavor).
Glaze also may contain: Calcium carbonate, agar, locust bean gum, disodium phosphate, and sorbitan monostearate.

I have no idea what's in Britts but I have watched the dough being made and it seemed very simple. No weird taste at all. I rarely eat sugar so if i'm going to it needs to be worth it. KK is not worth it for me at all.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:15 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Not gonna lie, it gets kinda chemical in the aftertaste.

But it's OURS dammit. NC's own... Winston Salem's own... and it's the dadgum best big chain doughnut around...and that's that.

But I only notice when i don't eat them with milk.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Ingredients: Enriched bleached wheat flour- (contains bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine, mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), dextrose, vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean and/or cottonseed oil), water, sugar, soy flour, egg yolks, vital wheat gluten, yeast, nonfat milk, yeast nutrients (calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate), dough conditioners (calcium dioxide, monocalcium and dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, sodium stearoyl-2-lacrylate, whey, starch, ascorbic acid, sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate), salt, mono-and-diglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides, lecithin, calcium propionate (to retain freshness), cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavors, fungal alpha amylase, amylase, maltogenic amylase, pantosenase, protease, sodium caseinate, corn maltodextrin, corn syrup solids and BHT (to help protect flavor).
Glaze also may contain: Calcium carbonate, agar, locust bean gum, disodium phosphate, and sorbitan monostearate.

I have no idea what's in Britts but I have watched the dough being made and it seemed very simple. No weird taste at all. I rarely eat sugar so if i'm going to it needs to be worth it. KK is not worth it for me at all.
You're going to be disappointed with Britt's too.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Sorry. You have had a Britt's glazed donut and liked it. I like Britt's as well, but not better than Krispy Kreme.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:

Lol at listing the ingredients....it isn't that serious, you just don't dig it. Anyway, KK recipe is actually a yeast-raised recipe from a New Orleans chef. Not worth the argument, anyone who can handle sugar and a fan of glazed doughnuts usually give it high marks. Of course there will be people who don't care for it, much like any other highly acclaimed food or product. It certainly isn't healthy, anything that good usually isn't.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:05 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Sorry. You have had a Britt's glazed donut and liked it. I like Britt's as well, but not better than Krispy Kreme.
The way I conceptualize a donut is having a very cake-like donut on one end. Dunkin Donuts falls closer to this end. On the other end is a donut that is similar to cotton candy, where sugar simply melts in one's mouth. I thought KK was close to this end of the spectrum, until I tasted Britt's. They do tend to have a lot of air with a very, very sugary outer coat that quickly dissolves on oral contact. That's not really good or bad, but a trait of donuts on that end of the spectrum.

Since this thread is about a "local" icon, I could see the point of this thread more if it were discussing Krispy Kreme's South Stratford Road location in Winston-Salem (the original location) being sold to a Starbucks, Chipotle, or mattress store.

And maybe it's just me, but I noticed a change once KK's donuts started getting recognition outside of NC in the 1990's and internationally in 2000, and went public at the turn of the 21st Century as well. They weren't quite as consistently good as they once were. Were they letting the fame make them a bit complacent and being more concerned about making the current quarter look good to equity shareholders than making sure the ever expanding inventory of boxes on rural grocery/convenience store shelves miles from a KK donut shop was still fresh when it got to the consumer? I don't know. They're still pretty darn good, but just not quite what they were before donut imperialism made them cast their net much further and wider.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
The other key with KKD is you can take a dozen donuts from there when they are hot and compress them into about 12 gold ball sized donut holes and then proceed to eat them all in one sitting as they are bite size then. There is not a more efficient way to ingest 2400 calories at once. ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary