Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 PM

271 posts, read 1,210,090 times

Advertisements

I live in Wake Forest, personally I would'nt think to live in Apex or Holly Springs, it's just a little too close for comfort. From here at least I would have a little time to jump on Capital Blvd (U.S. 1) or 401 or 98 or 96, and do 100 mph. outta town (I'm not kidding) I'd get a ticket for that.

But in retrospect, the danger is relatively small. But when that EQ plant thing happened the thought of it being Shearon Harris did cross my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 03:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,132,492 times
Truth be told...it hasn't affected property values at all.

Quite a few years ago, before I got into Real Estate, I was in the area of Apex and noticed signs saying "evacuation route". I actually had to ask hubby what that was all about!!! Guess no one even talks about it! Vicki

Old 01-16-2007, 04:44 PM

251 posts, read 1,139,482 times
VickiR, the past year we've been considering all areas of Raleigh to move into and housing prices are most definitely less inexpensive the closer to the plant you get.

Something has to be affecting the value. Maybe you can tell me what it is because I can think of no other negative in that part of town.

I've a lot of friends down there so you're right - lots of people don't think twice about it. But as the realtor I spoke with said - some clients say they don't want to live near the plant. It's a mixed bag.

CarolinaTrendSetter, going north and then west sounds like a plan.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:27 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,724,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
"evacuation route".
Vickie, I thought your comments about "evacuation route" to be especially interesting. I spent the past weekend at the Oregon Coast and noticed that the Tsunami Evacuation Route tends to have an inverse affect on real estate there. Houses in the Tsuanmi Evacuation Areas are more expensive.... because they are closer to the ocean (for the most part... homes on cliffs are the exceptions). The homes that are above the Tsunami Warning Areas tend to be worth less since they are further from the ocean.

Some of the most expensive homes in Portland are built on hillsides that experience landslides every year. It doesn't affect home values.

If people deem it a desirable area they will live there, regardless of the potential threats.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM

52 posts, read 225,920 times
I'm sure others know far more about this but both my parent's have thyroid problems and one of the first things their doctor asked each was if they live near a nuclear plant. I'm not sure what the reason for this is but it's definately not the first time I've heard it. Same with my neighbor, she's relatively young with a thyroid condition and her doctor asked the same question. Maybe someone with some insight can clarify why.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,914,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisads View Post
I'm sure others know far more about this but both my parent's have thyroid problems and one of the first things their doctor asked each was if they live near a nuclear plant. I'm not sure what the reason for this is but it's definately not the first time I've heard it. Same with my neighbor, she's relatively young with a thyroid condition and her doctor asked the same question. Maybe someone with some insight can clarify why.
The thyroid gland needs iodine to produce the hormones that regulate the body’s energy and metabolism. The thyroid absorbs available iodine from the bloodstream. The gland cannot distinguish between stable(regular) iodine and radioactive iodine, and will absorb whatever it can. American Thyroid Assn.

Nuclear Radiation and the Thyroid

http://thyroid.org/patients/brochures/NuclearRadiation_brochure.pdf

Old 01-17-2007, 09:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,174,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
VickiR, the past year we've been considering all areas of Raleigh to move into and housing prices are most definitely less inexpensive the closer to the plant you get.

Something has to be affecting the value. Maybe you can tell me what it is because I can think of no other negative in that part of town.

I've a lot of friends down there so you're right - lots of people don't think twice about it. But as the realtor I spoke with said - some clients say they don't want to live near the plant. It's a mixed bag.

CarolinaTrendSetter, going north and then west sounds like a plan.

Not VickiR, but my opinion on this matter is of course, some people don't want to live near a nuclear plant just as some don't want to live near an airport, train tracks, freeway. I'd venture to guess the values are less down there because it is further from Raleigh but suburban sprawl will catch up (already a bunch of new houses going in down there). It is still more "country" in that area than suburban and there is no major shopping which is a draw for a lot of homebuyers.

And if Harris does go, it won't matter if you are in Cary, Holly Springs or Wake Forest. Remember Chernobyl? Still testing high levels of radiation 100 miles away from that place to this day.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 PM

The Nightly Triangle Insanity Report:

Who in their right mind would put a nuclear plant close to a major city where prevailing winds blow radiation towards that city if something ever goes wrong?

Who in their right mind would plan a very large airport so close to a city and near the largest natural park in the area (Umstead)? So you can't walk there without hearing jets take off.

Who in their right mind would put hundreds of businesses in one tight location called Research Triangle Park - requiring most heavy traffic congestion going towards it in the morning and away from it in the afternoon? It's not like all these companies have to be right next to each other afterall.

Wouldn't planning have been better if the pharmaceutical companies had all located on one side of town - with most of the computer companies locating in another - to better spread out the growth and traffic patterns?

Who in their right mind would even build a city on a fall line so that, when a winter storm system comes through, the weather forecasters never really know exactly what to expect. We could get snow, ice, or nothing. And if it's wintry it will most likely be ice because we're on the fall line.

Who in their right mind would put a city where pine trees crack like pretzels during ice storms and fall during other times of the year for no reason at all?

Who in their right mind would put a major mall next to a major creek that floods and covers cars in the parking lot? (Crabtree Creek)

Who in their right mind would name a city street and then change its name 2 miles down the road for no reason at all. And do this all over the city?

I don't know who. Do you?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,632,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
The Nightly Triangle Insanity Report:

Who in their right mind would put a nuclear plant close to a major city where prevailing winds blow radiation towards that city if something ever goes wrong?

Who in their right mind would plan a very large airport so close to a city and near the largest natural park in the area (Umstead)? So you can't walk there without hearing jets take off.

Who in their right mind would put hundreds of businesses in one tight location called Research Triangle Park - requiring most heavy traffic congestion going towards it in the morning and away from it in the afternoon? It's not like all these companies have to be right next to each other afterall.

Wouldn't planning have been better if the pharmaceutical companies had all located on one side of town - with most of the computer companies locating in another - to better spread out the growth and traffic patterns?

Who in their right mind would even build a city on a fall line so that, when a winter storm system comes through, the weather forecasters never really know exactly what to expect. We could get snow, ice, or nothing. And if it's wintry it will most likely be ice because we're on the fall line.

Who in their right mind would put a city where pine trees crack like pretzels during ice storms and fall during other times of the year for no reason at all?

Who in their right mind would put a major mall next to a major creek that floods and covers cars in the parking lot? (Crabtree Creek)

Who in their right mind would name a city street and then change its name 2 miles down the road for no reason at all. And do this all over the city?

I don't know who. Do you?
Do you ever post anything postive or are you always this negative?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:14 PM

My post is H-U-M-O-R.

That's why it included several grinning emoticons. But I'm sometimes slow to get jokes too so it's okay.

Desdemoonie, you seem to be following my posts so much....would you care to go out to lunch one day? Maybe we can work on being friends.

I'm not following your posts so you don't need to follow mine unless you just really enjoy them. Thanks for the compliment though.

Last edited by Skipstone; 01-17-2007 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: grammar correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary