Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,290 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Raleigh at the end of April and I need some help with my apartment search. I am moving just after I finish college and I don't know anyone from Raleigh so I'm going in alone. I will be working right in downtown so I've considered living downtown. I'm not going to be making a lot of money but I want to live somewhere nice and safe and in an area where I will be able to easily meet new people around my own age. I don't really want to live in the middle of nowhere and I would like to live somewhat close to a bars and resturants and ect. I've heard the apartments at Brier Creek are nice. Any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM

55 posts, read 146,100 times
What is "your own age"? I'm assuming in your 20's, which means that you'll want to be near a downtown. Living in downtown Raleigh proper can be expensive, although deals can be found. They are currently in the midst of a revitalization, with a new convention center, hotels, and TONS of high-rise apartments for sale, many in the luxury category.

That being said, if you're just out of college and looking to meet people in that age group, consider living around the NC State area, especially West Raleigh and Cary. Rent is going to be about the same as you would pay in other areas, and I think you'd meet more people down there. Downtown folks tend to have a bit more money, and be older, because a lot of the property is expensive, although certainly less than in most capital cities, I'm sure.

Very few areas are going to have problems with safety or with being in the middle of nowhere, as long as you stick to the Raleigh/Cary area. Stay away from southeast Raleigh, near where I-40/440 passes through town. Edit: Specifically, east of S. Saunders St, south of New Bern Ave., and north/west of 440, although these are just general guidelines.

Brier Creek is new, and pretty nice, although it has the strong feel of a shopping mall to me. Lots of chain stores, Target, Sam's Club, Chili's, stuff like that. It is more or less in the middle of nowhere, if you're looking to meet people in that age group. It's too far away from a campus or downtown, and because of the proximity to RTP I'm assuming that a lot of people there work in the Park. If you're looking to be around people that you can meet and talk to, I would stay stick closer to the center of Raleigh.

Last edited by maxpower212; 03-26-2008 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: .

Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM

121 posts, read 388,599 times
Try the Beckanna on Glenwood. Moderator cut: url removed

Last edited by autumngal; 03-26-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 AM

Glenwood, south of 440, would certainly also fit the profile. All the way down, in fact, into the Glenwood South district, which is one of those up-and-coming, full-of-new-highrises places I was talking about.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,290 times
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am 22 years old and my salary is around $35,000. I am really looking for a nice place but also a place that wont cost me too much so that I can still afford to have a social life. It would also help if there were things to do close by.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPANC View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am 22 years old and my salary is around $35,000. I am really looking for a nice place but also a place that wont cost me too much so that I can still afford to have a social life. It would also help if there were things to do close by.

Exactly my stats when I started out of college, and I lived in West Raleigh for a couple of years. It's nice in that the rents are kept reasonably low by the college market (surprisingly) but it's a good distance from campus (3-5 miles) and as long as you stay out of one of the "college neighborhoods" you should be fine, unless you don't care too much about quiet, etc. Lots of new places around, I'm sure you won't have many problems finding something that works for you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary