Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:21 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times

Advertisements

Compared to a real city with mass transit, this area falls far short.

So, if what you want is not here, why on earth did you decide to relocate here?

There are plenty of good jobs in the DC metro area and this area is sinking fast from greed and stupid growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 04:32 AM

85 posts, read 116,839 times
I am not just comparing with DC .. but let’s compare it with Minneapolis where I lived in the past. From what I was reading online, triangle area has now more population than Minneapolis ? But CITY wise , Raleigh-Durham, no where even close to Minneapolis ? Why isn’t this City being developed like other cities ? Minneapolis-St. Paul just looks huge city. A friend of mine visited Raleigh-Durham from Minneapolis , his family was thinking of moving here cuz of the cold weather in Minneapolis and he felt the same way I am feeling. Raleigh still has a long way to go as far as the downtown development ? Only population seems to be increasing.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:34 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownguy View Post
Move to RTP from Northern Virginia area but man i've been having difficulty liking this place. I live in Cary but it's just feels slow and nothing to see around. Took my wife to Raleigh downtown, she wanted to really see the downtown, HUGE disappointment it was. Didn't feel like a Downtown. I have also lived in Minneapolis for sometime and Minneapolis is just huge compared to Raleigh Downtown.... Wife's disappointed as well.

We would go back to Northern Virginia but not many Jobs for my field out there. There are lot of Jobs here though, that's the only thing keeping me here. Is Raleigh even Considered a City ? it looks smaller than Rochester, NY !

Cary Downtown was another disappointment, few auto repair shops and that's all !

Hope things change but so far i really have been disappointed. Wish there were some jobs in Northern Virginia area for me, i'd go back without thinking much even though it's slightly expensive.
Have you applied for jobs that would let you return to NOVA?
You should.
You only need one job, and should at least try for a relocation to where you were happy.
Why live somewhere you don't like without trying for what you really want? You only live once...

Yes, Raleigh is a city.
http://godowntownraleigh.com/_files/...over_lores.pdf
And, the population is booming, Double that of Rochester which has been in decay and steep population decline for many years.
But, in NC, we sprawl more than build densely and that changes the feel of the cities.

Have you looked at Charlotte for a more urban experience?

Old 04-20-2018, 04:36 AM

678 posts, read 738,350 times
Northern Virginia is boring though. Just a bigger (and denser) Cary

Minneapolis has more of a skyline than Raleigh, but so what?

There's plenty of other neat things around here, you need to get out more

Old 04-20-2018, 04:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownguy View Post
I am not just comparing with DC .. but let’s compare it with Minneapolis where I lived in the past. From what I was reading online, triangle area has now more population than Minneapolis ? But CITY wise , Raleigh-Durham, no where even close to Minneapolis ? Why isn’t this City being developed like other cities ? Minneapolis-St. Paul just looks huge city. A friend of mine visited Raleigh-Durham from Minneapolis , his family was thinking of moving here cuz of the cold weather in Minneapolis and he felt the same way I am feeling. Raleigh still has a long way to go as far as the downtown development ? Only population seems to be increasing.
The Raleigh-Durham area has about the same population today that the Minneapolis-St. Paul area had in the mid 1960s. So on top of the fact that we're 50 years behind Minneapolis in terms of population, suburbs were ascendant from 1950 through perhaps 2000 so a larger portion of our development has been focused on sprawl since then.

Raleigh is just not a very old city and that has a pretty big impact on the city - the urban/suburban balance is heavily biased towards suburban.

That said, you might be less disappointed if you consider Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh together as your downtowns to visit, rather than just Raleigh. Plus, you have to know where to go so it's possible you're just not going to the right place (and some people on here might point you in the right direction.) What are the things you are specifically disappointed with? Bars? Restaurants? Soft goods retail? Arts? Live music? Performance venues? Cultural institutions like museums and libraries? Outdoor stuff like parks and greenways? I'm sure plenty of people on here can give you pointers.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Again....things that could have been ascertained with a visit or two. Lesson learned - don't relocate until you've visited.

What do you miss about the places you've lived aside from the feel of a big city? Why did you think you would find a big city atmosphere in TOWN of Cary, which is a suburb?

You should examine these questions in case you decide to re-locate again so you don't make the same mistake twice.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:48 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
My one comparison to Minneapolis (I've never been there) -- news reporters are in the area reporting on the death investigation of Prince. They are standing outside with mounds of snow around them. Then I look outside here in Durham and see azaleas, dogwoods, green grass, etc. and glad I'm not in Minnesota.

I'm sure Minnesota is a great place, but it's April 20 and there is a lot of snow on the ground there.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:10 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
What are you looking for in a city? Skyscrapers? You'd be better off somewhere else.

We have a great music scene here, though. Good food. Great arts. What specifically are you missing from Minneapolis and we might be able to help you find something similar here, unless it's snow and we don't have much of that.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:10 AM

569 posts, read 440,340 times
Downtown Durham is not that large but to me it feels more like a "downtown" than downtown Raleigh. It might be because the building forms are more consistent in the core area than downtown raleigh which feels more spread out. Try it out one weekend, you might like it. I'm taking a friend who is visiting from Wilmington down there tonight and we are going to go to dinner and then check out some of the bars. I want to take her to have drinks at the Museum Hotel which is really cool to walk around in. There are some art exhibits and you can go in the old bank vault on the ground level.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:27 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I'm always interested to hear what people think Raleigh is missing. I can appreciate different opinions about the city but don't buy into the skyline comparisons unless you are an architecture buff or just are really into office spaces and condos. Most of the activity in any city is at the street-level not in the skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary