Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 09:23 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I recall some Caniacs complaining about Rod's coaching earlier this season. Wow, did they miscalculate.
Also, amazing what good goaltending will do for a team. Let's face it, this is the first year is many that they have had respectable goaltending.

Lastly, addition by subtraction. Skinner playing a 60 foot game....gone. Lindholm underachiever....gone. Hanifin replaced by Dougie/Calvin......see ya. Rod knew exactly what he was doing when he was on board with the trades.
Wish great success the players who left, but the Canes haven't missed a beat
Agreed. Ferland/Hamilton/CDH have been big upgrades over Hanifin, Ryan, and Lindholm. It took some time for Dougie but he's been on a roll since the All-Star break and he's finally starting to gel with his pairing partners. Still a Skinner fan but Buffalo is probably going to overpay him this offseason and frankly thats not money well spent for this team, especially when Aho/Necas/Svech are going to get their paydays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:56 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Earlier in this season Skinner had a big number in plus/minus, but now he's down to a +3... his old habits are returning. In any event, in terms of contract money the Canes were headed for an either-or situation with Skinner and Aho. Management made the right choice. The only question now is how many millions the Canes will have to give Aho, who unquestionably is the franchise player.

If the Canes were not on a playoff trajectory, we'd be seeing Necas by now. But I think he will have to wait another season unless the Canes lose a top forward to injury. 9 goals in 47 AHL games this season doesn't thrill me.

I'm not concerned about losing Ryan and Hanifin. Lindholm, however, always had potential to be a top-six player even on good team. For whatever reason he never got his act together while in Carolina. Maybe he never would have.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:03 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Earlier in this season Skinner had a big number in plus/minus, but now he's down to a +3... his old habits are returning. In any event, in terms of contract money the Canes were headed for an either-or situation with Skinner and Aho. Management made the right choice. The only question now is how many millions the Canes will have to give Aho, who unquestionably is the franchise player.

If the Canes were not on a playoff trajectory, we'd be seeing Necas by now. But I think he will have to wait another season unless the Canes lose a top forward to injury. 9 goals in 47 AHL games this season doesn't thrill me.

I'm not concerned about losing Ryan and Hanifin. Lindholm, however, always had potential to be a top-six player even on good team. For whatever reason he never got his act together while in Carolina. Maybe he never would have.

Yeah, of all the guys we gave up, Lindholm was the one I would have liked to keep.
Heard a rumor, from a source to which I give a level of credence, that Lindholm stole Skinner's girlfriend.

Notice how seldom those two were on the same line...
That crap will poison a locker room.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:12 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Would have been an epic win, had they been able to pull it off, but just couldn't do it.

The good news is, they could have played better and they still got out of there with a point.

Bad news - starting to really worry about Ferland.

Sprint 1: Hurricanes 3-1
vs LA Kings W 6-1
vs StL Blues 3/1 W 5-2
@ Fla Panthers 3/2 W 4-3 OT
@ Boston 3/5 L 4-3 OT
Winnipeg 3/8

The teams in bold are currently playoff qualifying teams.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 AM

If you haven't been to a Canes game yet this year, here is a great opportunity:

https://hurricanes.spinzo.com/nc-sta...ub-hockey-grk2

$40 Lower Level North seats, and a portion goes to the NC State Icepack to help fund their trip to nationals.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:12 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Ferland with another upper body injury as a result of the hit he administered the other night.

Question: Would you still try to sign Ferland after the season is over? If so, what would be the range you'd be comfortable offering?

Ferland's had a few injuries now. Have to wonder if it's affected his value in free agency.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Ferland with another upper body injury as a result of the hit he administered the other night.

Question: Would you still try to sign Ferland after the season is over? If so, what would be the range you'd be comfortable offering?

Ferland's had a few injuries now. Have to wonder if it's affected his value in free agency.
Was it from the hit? Or, from the fight? I thought he was holding his hand, the right hand, that he landed on when he caught his skate in the goalie's glove the other night.

Yes, I would sign him. But, probably not for what he seems to be wanting.

A guy who plays a heavy game has to be durable and he isn't showing that.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A guy who plays a heavy game has to be durable and he isn't showing that.
Indeed, injuries caught up with Cole and Ruutu. Walker too, to a lesser extent.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Indeed, injuries caught up with Cole and Ruutu. Walker too, to a lesser extent.
Cole's neck injury was scary, and he came back.

I like watching Ferland play, but he isn't reliable enough to be out there every night.
Probably kept the Canes from getting a good enough offer to move him before the deadline.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Cole had various nagging injuries at other times especially 2002-03 and 2012-13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary