Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:13 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,157 times

Advertisements

I was told NC law doesn't permit extensions on temp tag and you can only issue one per vehicle sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 05:34 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
I would 100% expect them to put me in a comparable or better vehicle until it was handled. Absolutely no reason for you to not be driving something right now.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I would 100% expect them to put me in a comparable or better vehicle until it was handled. Absolutely no reason for you to not be driving something right now.
Yep.....I agree 110%!! It's a dealer caused problem and they need to make things right.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
I was told NC law doesn't permit extensions on temp tag and you can only issue one per vehicle sale.
This is true.
Go there and DEMAND that they loan you a Dealer Tag. This is their problem, and they need to fix it.

That said, let me try to shed a little light on what sometimes happens.

The reason that the 30 day temp tag exists is so that there is a cushion of time to get the paperwork together.

In many cases a pre-owned car was traded in with a loan payoff. The dealer needs to make that payoff and get the title from the entity that held the loan on the vehicle when the person who traded it in owned it.

If the car that the person who traded the car in bought to replace it was financed, the dealer will not send the payoff check for the trade in until the NEW loan or lease contract is FUNDED. Not SIGNED, but PAID. This is simply an issue of cash flow. you can't put a 50K vehicle on the road and pay off a $30K loan balance on the trade until you are paid for the purchase. Are you with me so far?

Under normal circumstances contracts are funded within a couple of days, the payoff is then sent, the title to the trade is overnighted to the dealership,and within two weeks or so your paperwork is on the way to the DMV in plenty of time for it to be processed and mailed to you before your 30 day temp expires.

Sometimes contracts bounce because of incorrect signatures or misaligned printers or any number of things. This slows things down.

Sometimes a car arrives at the dealership either thru trade in or thru auction purchase and is offered for sale before the title is in the house. Again, this is standard procedure. The used car market is not in an oversupply situation right now and in many cases when a nice used car comes in there is a list of people to call about it.

Sometimes a car is traded in that does not have a payoff on it but the title is unable to be found. A lost title application needs to be filed and takes two weeks to process. Again, this is why there is a 30 day cushion.

You can make the argument that a person shouldn't be able to trade in a car without either the title in hand or verification that the lender actually HAS the title. That's probably true, but that is not going to happen. Clients frankly don't want to be bothered with little details like the document that proves ownership of their car and serves as partial payment for their new one. Dealers don't want to put up a roadblock that might kill a deal.

Sometimes titles get lost by all sorts of entities that should be responsible for them. Things happen. Again, this is not a defense of Hendrick Chevrolet.

You need to get to the General Manager and DEMAND that a dealer plate be loaned to you until THEY can produce a title thru whatever method they need to use. That is the ONLY solution that should be offered.
Stand in the middle of the showroom and scream at the top of your lungs if need be. You should not have to return the vehicle or incur ANY financial penalty. Hendrick Chevrolet should contact your lender and handle any late fees or penalties incurred.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:32 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
NC DMV is living in the dark ages, is what the problem is. I rarely if ever roll out the "where I come from it was better" line, and far be it from me to defend the NY DMV, but at least in NY they have a dedicated dealer counter at the DMV where dealers can go and pick up REAL TAGS and register the car all at the same time, none of this temp tag BS. It also ensures the car is insured. Time and again I deal with people who never added their new car to the policy because they assume the dealer will do it.

I disagree that not having title to a car is a small issue...it just doesn't happen in other states. This is why I'm not a fan of the lien holder holding the title here...I'd rather have it in my possession and get the lien release to either keep with it or get a new clear title.

i won't even get into the fact that Fuquay's DMV is about the size of my living room.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:48 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Funky Chicken - great advice!!!

And it reminded me of an experience I had a few years ago when I leased a new car. I had not yet gotten my NC driver's license, so the dealer slapped a dealer tag on there and sent me off to DMV.

However, I HAD no documentation that showed my full middle name. Even my first passport (I was literally an infant when it was issued) showed middle initial only. Took me 7 weeks to find some acceptable documentation for DMV. And the dealer just left the dealer plate while I drove around.

Funny story: when I finally had my NC license and went back to do the final paperwork, the finance guy changed the deal on me. I walked out, leaving them with a used car with 850 miles on it. Guess how fast the GM ran to get me in the parking lot.?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:53 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,157 times
Update: Hendricks brought over a 2018 Silverado to use until matter is cleared. We can drive this as long as it takes to register our own truck. Finance manager is working with lender to make sure loan not impacted. Satisfied for now. Will update as saga continues.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:15 AM

425 posts, read 462,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
it just doesn't happen in other states.
I can tell you for sure that this sort of thing also happens in other states. I went through a similar episode with a dealer in VA about 5 years ago. Bought a used Sequoia late on Saturday night right before moving to Florida the following week. Dealer was going to Fedex Title to me on Monday. Apparently it got lost in the mail, and they had to recreate all the previous transfer (auctions, etc) so I could eventually get a Florida title. Took a couple of months of pain, before I was able to register it. Luckily, they just kept sending me Temp Tags.

It sounds like the dealership is doing right by the OP, so that is good news!

Old 04-21-2018, 12:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Sounds like they made it right. This is as good as outcome as one would expect of a dealer!

Old 04-21-2018, 12:48 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
I can tell you for sure that this sort of thing also happens in other states. I went through a similar episode with a dealer in VA about 5 years ago. Bought a used Sequoia late on Saturday night right before moving to Florida the following week. Dealer was going to Fedex Title to me on Monday. Apparently it got lost in the mail, and they had to recreate all the previous transfer (auctions, etc) so I could eventually get a Florida title. Took a couple of months of pain, before I was able to register it. Luckily, they just kept sending me Temp Tags.

It sounds like the dealership is doing right by the OP, so that is good news!
That story makes no sense, not that that's your fault. If the title existed to Fedex to you, there's no need to re-create a paper trail. Getting a dupe title is actually VERY easy. It sounds like they had a bogus paper trail and never actually had the title to Fedex to you.

This thread is actually really scary from a consumer standpoint. We're in the market for two new cars right now and I will be watching everything like a hawk due to everyones' misfortunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary