Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:38 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeval View Post
We are having zoysia sod installed in a few weeks. The installer's recommendation and best price is on Empire. From what I'd read, it sounds like a good fit for our needs (wider blade, holds up to some traffic and can be cut with a rotary mower, among other things). I did just come across something that says it's not very cold tolerant. Not sure what that means exactly, so thought I'd ask here if any locals have it and are satisfied with it?
Have you looked at Tif-Tuf Bermuda? I started putting it down last year. It spreads quickly, looks fantastic and uses minimal water. After it was established, I did not water any during the summer. SuperSod had a very nice display of their various grasses, but when I was there recently (Farmers Market), they had reorganized things and the displays were gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Have you looked at Tif-Tuf Bermuda? I started putting it down last year. It spreads quickly, looks fantastic and uses minimal water. After it was established, I did not water any during the summer. SuperSod had a very nice display of their various grasses, but when I was there recently (Farmers Market), they had reorganized things and the displays were gone.
The SuperSod on 55 just recently built a display right out front near the road of the various grasses.

I also laugh at that little robotic lawn mower that they have out there cutting the grass. I want one.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:45 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Wish I had fertilized before this nice rain we are having today.
I put down grub control and 16-4-8 fertilizer on Sunday

Old 04-24-2018, 07:50 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I put down grub control and 16-4-8 fertilizer on Sunday
Nailed It!

Old 04-24-2018, 08:03 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
I've been going back/forth about either Zenith Zoysia or TifTuf Bermuda.

Letting my current lawn (fescue) die off at the moment by completely neglecting it for a few months and am going to throw some sod down the first/second week of June.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Now, if you were installing St Augustine here, then you may have a problem.
I have no dog in this fight as I don't have a lawn, but just wondering why St Aug would be a problem? My folks had a mixed lawn of Centipede and St Aug in Fayetteville and I loved it. Didn't like the narrow blade Zoysia down the street. It was poky on the bare feet, but that was decades ago and I'm sure there are many more varieties out now.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeval View Post
I'm ok with it being brown (or "blonde") in the winter. It's our back yard only, not the front. What I'm not ok with is how much work fescue is in this area. I'm done fighting with it, except for the small amount I have out front and on one side of the house.

@MikeJaquish, when I searched this site, I found a post where you installed Empire about 7 years ago, so I appreciate your input. You didn't say if you love it or hate it, so I'm guessing somewhere in between?

@wheelsup, I'm curious why you think it's the least attractive of the zoysias?
Because it tends to look like St Augustine grass. The blades are wide and color is pale green. It looks OK but if paying to sod your lawn just pick a nicer grass. IMO.

It's one advantage is it does spread on its own fairly quickly.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
If someone thinks fescue is a lot of work to keep looking good they will hate bermuda. IMO. It takes a lot of nitrogen applied over the summer and mowing that can approach every few days to keep looking good and not "untended". But at least it won't die over the summer like fescue does.

I guess the overall question for grass is, if this is a shaded lot or full sun? If full sun go with a warm season grass. If shaded go with a fescue and work on improving how you maintain it. Fescue is great in this area in shaded lots.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"We prefer to call our winter Zoysia "Blonde," if you don't mind"...call it anything you like....but my zoysia looks like h$ll in the winter.....might paint it green next fall, or over seed with cool season annual rye.

Regards
Gemstone1
i thought it was known as "Cary Beige"

Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I love St Augustine in the summer but I don't like the "blond" look in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary