Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would selling out of Tabasco or Crystal tell you?:
lots of Cajuns? though Tabasco is certainly a national brand and has been. they did happen to be out of Crystal too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 07:43 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
lots of Cajuns? though Tabasco is certainly a national brand and has been. they did happen to be out of Crystal too.
Just wondered. My (Midwestern) mother always bought Tabasco. The grocery stores that I used to shop at in South Jersey moved more Crystal than any other hot sauce.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:21 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Wegman's announced to employees. That they are seeking sights in Virginia for its new Southern push of stores there. Solely needed as the Pennsylvania warehouse is busting at the seams. I'm affiliated and work for Wegman's.

Originally it was to ne North Carolina. But seems Virginia won out. Maybe better incentives?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:15 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
made my first trek yesterday purely to walk 1 loop and check a couple of prices. Even at ~4 pm, it was crowded for a grocery store (about a weekend day at Costco). It's big, but not as HUGE as I expected.

Being able to get aged beef if you want it is a bonus. Spending $19/lb on prepackaged (ie, blister pack, so I can't imagine onsite) skirt steak seems mighty high.
I agree, there were some things that seemed extremely expensive, but other things weren't...and the $19/lb wasn't that far off from what you could get for better steaks in the meat case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
So - anyone been back since hype weekend?
It was crazy busy at 8:00 PM on Sunday night.
Quote:
So will reply to myself on my my last reply -

Went today around 5:45, hadn't planned on that but had to go to Staples and once there figured would test the waters. Ended up eating there first then shopping. The eat-in food was quite good.

Was not bad crowd amount-wise. Although even with there being a lot less people than last week still there was still a fair amount of either rude, clueless or just inconsiderate people.

Look, if you're going to go to a place like that think about the other shoppers, don't take up too much space, if stopping keep your cart to the side and try to maintain some semblance of traffic order and be considerate to the constant flow of people all around you. It gets pretty frustrating shopping there and that will deter us from going there more often.

I think part of it is not a human issue, the floor plan is not efficient, especially on the left and back sides of the store where the fish, meat, cheese, and vegetables are as they are not in traditional aisles. The aisles are more orderly as I suppose people are more conditioned to them and it's more like road-oriented right-side drive traffic. Parts of the store, like the space between the aisles and the registers are too narrow. Can't put my finger on it all but overall feels like a poorly-engineered layout,
I actually thought it was laid out quite well, all things considered. We moved through with no issues and the place was frankly, a zoo. And the layout was in line with what I've seen at many supermarkets, though different than what I see at Lowes or Kroger, and similar to HT.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:12 AM

270 posts, read 379,294 times
Great price on dry-packed scallo\
*>}/":?4a`34q`34
e4

Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 AM

270 posts, read 379,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
Great price on dry-packed scallo\
*>}/":?4a`34q`34
e4

And our 80lb. Lab decided to say Hi... Sorry.

It's hard to find dry-packed scallops and they were a great price! $9.99/lb, I was excited about that!

Old 10-13-2019, 12:07 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:

Another thing, somewhat related, on my FB feed the past few days was mention about a Strickland Rd Lowes starting something called a Daily Deli, inviting people to go and sample and give feedback. Could be that this is in response to the Wegmans opening. We don't shop there, I doubt we have ever been there, but will look to check it out soon.
Update on this -
Went to this Lowes Supermarket to see about their new Deli from their FB announcement. Lowes is a new store for use, we have been to a different one a few times.

On the plus side, nice big, clean store, good variety.

On the minus side, some things we get at HT or FL or now Wegmans are significantly more expensive, checkout staff were almost painfully slow, the new Deli area, while nice and has a lot of bread offerings, seems nothing special, which the bakery is better than HTs the deli at HT is better and Wegmans' is much better. Lowes didn't have the option to get any breakfast sandwiches. Didn't get anything there, went to Metro instead.

So for those who shop at Lowes, what your point for going there for you? I don't see the point myself and thought they would do more to compete with Wegmans.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:36 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
One thing I liked about Wegman’s was the aisle they put in bisecting the traditional aisles. For someone like me, who doesn’t know they are in the wrong aisle until halfway down, the escape route was perfect.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:43 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
went yesterday, still as crowded. I'd like to think that all over America, just as we drive on the right, you walk past and push your cart past on the right. Not so much at Wegman's.

fat asparagus = cheap. thin asparagus is pre-cut and expensive.

they were sold out of the scallops. Said they didn't realize how much people in NC liked them. I told them it was the insanely low price.

the general NY Strip was good; I think vacuum packing them probably gives them a few extra days w/o the oxidization.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:42 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
The meat ball sub is SOLID!!! Pizza was pretty good too, Asian bar and sushi is also good for a quick meal. Basically I've been 4 times now and been trying to get different food items each time. I guess next I'm going to check out their wing and tender game or try out the burger bar......or the breakfast/coffee joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary