Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 07:19 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Choices AND prices were actually really good. I have to eat strictly gluten free now due to Celiac Disease so this made me very happy!!!

How is the GF section in this store? The Sterling, VA has a fairly extensive GF section, and I always end up bringing home a bunch of stuff (like orzo pasta ... love it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's been fun reading the reactions of all of you Wegmans newbies!
For the record, i'm not a newbie. I've shopped at Wegmans for years in PA.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:35 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
For the record, i'm not a newbie. I've shopped at Wegmans for years in PA.
Duly noted. It would be nice if posters identified themselves as a first-timer at Wegmans or not. I feel like we've been discussing this supermarket for years, and many locals questioned whether it was just going to be a nostalgia thing for transplants to the Triangle.

I remember when the first Wegmans opened in the DC metro about 15 years ago, and they were a HUGE hit there. I doubt it was due to nostalgia because I don't think transplanted upstate New Yorkers make up that great of a proportion of the DC population. Of course at this point many more people have been exposed to Wegmans, since they have been in the Boston to DC markets for awhile. But most of us (except upstate NYers and maybe you younguns' ) did not have this supermarket in our childhood. People just love it because it's a good store.

Last edited by michgc; 10-14-2019 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,182 times
I have family in PA and have been to the Wilkes Barre store many, many times, which I love. The Raleigh store is definitely a downscaled version and personally my spouse and I both were disappointed. The prepared deli section is super small, no bulk candy section (unless I missed it), bakery is smaller too. The oversized liquor section is just that, oversized, as is the seating area for the cafe. If anyone not familiar w/Wegamans wants the full experience if you ever find yourself in Wilkes-Barre, PA or Fredericksburg, VA visit those locations. They're incredible!

Old 10-14-2019, 10:21 AM

119 posts, read 89,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
The Raleigh store is definitely a downscaled version and personally my spouse and I both were disappointed.
I mostly agree with this sentiment. We were disappointed with the layout, given the downscaling--it would have been an opportunity to create more "balance" across the footprint. It feels as though the prepared foods and "counter service" sections are crammed together on the north end of the store, with wasted space on the south end.

Hopefully, there will be an opportunity to study the design and apply lessons learned to the Cary location.

My reference store, by the way, is the Fredericksburg, VA, location.

Last edited by E. Milton; 10-14-2019 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-14-2019, 10:30 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Indeed I have been to the Holy Grail "Pittsford Store" in Upstate NY before as I have an uncle who lives right by it. Granted because it's every-say long-standing store to folks there it wasn't the feeding frenzy that the Raleigh location was yesterday; but yes it felt more spread out and with larger sections of everything (except wine).

Old 10-14-2019, 11:23 AM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Milton View Post
I mostly agree with this sentiment. We were disappointed with the layout, given the downscaling--it would have been an opportunity to create more "balance" across the footprint. It feels as though the prepared foods and "counter service" sections are crammed together on the north end of the store, with wasted space on the south end.

Hopefully, there will be an opportunity to study the design and apply lessons learned to the Cary location.

My reference store, by the way, is the Fredericksburg, VA, location.
The Fredericksburg, VA store is a good example of a full scale Wegmans store with all the amenities. I am not sure why some of the Triangle stores planned have apparently been downsized a bit, but I remember it being posted they were reducing the footprint somewhat for some of the new locations in NC. Not sure why; perhaps due to local zoning issues. But maybe some of the other stores planned will be a bit larger. Although some folks find the large size a bit overwhelming, so perhaps they are trying to find a happy medium.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:52 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The Fredericksburg, VA store is a good example of a full scale Wegmans store with all the amenities. I am not sure why some of the Triangle stores planned have apparently been downsized a bit, but I remember it being posted they were reducing the footprint somewhat for some of the new locations in NC. Not sure why; perhaps due to local zoning issues. But maybe some of the other stores planned will be a bit larger. Although some folks find the large size a bit overwhelming, so perhaps they are trying to find a happy medium.
It has been talked about in this thread, I believe, further back and probably in other Wegmans threads as well. It had nothing to do with zoning issues. Yes, Wegmans is the 900 lb. gorilla and can make every new store a 200,000+ square foot store behemoth if they wanted to.

The Wegman family knows, even with their cult-like following, the changing dynamics of the grocery store industry/business, with more people getting their groceries delivered or just driving up and picking up an online order without even getting out of their car. Don't get me wrong, Wegmans in person, is an experience onto itself, but the way the company makes decisions with their thoroughness of research and number crunching, I believe they know what they're doing with making all their new stores smaller.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:03 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Huh. I am so intrigued, because I found the Raleigh store to be larger than the one I went to in North Syracuse, unless I’m not remembering it correctly at all (entirely possible). I’d love to see one of the even larger ones to compare.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:48 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's been fun reading the reactions of all of you Wegmans newbies!
Can't even lie, I was definitely in the "They're just over hyping it because they miss home" camp lool but when I actually went, I was like

"Damn skip! I thought you was lying"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary