Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 10:48 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Random non-sequitor question, how are their frozen turkeys for Tgiving - do they sell their own??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 10:57 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
1) Harris Teeter -- good inviting atmosphere, $3.99 foot long subs, $4.99 fried chicken, prices great on weekly sale items
2) Wegmans -- better atmosphere and selection than Harris Teeter, a few prices better than HT but found most to be much more expensive, fresh bakery outrageous prices, subs much more expensive
Yeah, but the variety and quality of the fresh bakery items at Wegmans far surpasses that of HT, so in my book, it's worth it (especially how infrequently I should be having those sorts of things)

Old 10-31-2019, 05:18 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yeah, but the variety and quality of the fresh bakery items at Wegmans far surpasses that of HT, so in my book, it's worth it (especially how infrequently I should be having those sorts of things)
+1 + 1 +1, and why for now am treating that part of that store Chernobyl

Old 10-31-2019, 06:53 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Wife and I made the journey to Wegmans last Thursday and left very underwhelmed. It was a very large grocery store with lots of stuff, but was packed with people and most of the fresh/meat items were much more expensive than my local HT/Publix. My wants in a grocery store are a) either close to home or on the way home, b) reasonably priced and c) I can get in and out quickly without tripping over people. That Wegmans failed on all 3 so I wont be going back. Probably also wont go to the Davis drive one when it opens. Also, tried the burger bar because a friend raved about it. More expensive than 5 guys for a burger they didnt cook properly - no thanks.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:04 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Their garlic Tuscan bread is so good that I will be making another trip there soon just for that, and I live NOWHERE near Wegmans.

The Chapel Hill one will be my regular grocery store if I'm still living here then.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 PM

598 posts, read 333,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Not necessarily RDU news, but it looks like Wegmans finally opened their Brooklyn store.

And, by the way, even people in NEW YORK CITY are really excited about Wegmans:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/d...navy-yard.html

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...ns-in-brooklyn

Old 10-31-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
1) Harris Teeter -- good inviting atmosphere, $3.99 foot long subs, $4.99 fried chicken, prices great on weekly sale items
2) Wegmans -- better atmosphere and selection than Harris Teeter, a few prices better than HT but found most to be much more expensive, fresh bakery outrageous prices, subs much more expensive
3) Food Lion -- good prices on produce, poor atmosphere
4) Lowes/Publix -- prices not good, atmosphere better than FL but worse than HT
I agree with these observations, except that, as hertfordshire said, Wegmans bakery outclasses HT's by miles and as those are indulgences, I can kind of justify their prices, and, they help keep me in check not to buy that stuff often.

Was in HT tonight, and saw the same old same old boring and mostly sub-par, unappetizing bakery items. I hope they step up their game, but like Lowes, seem to be ignorant to the changing levels of quality and offerings.

On the other hand, I don't expect FL to change much, nor do they really need to as I see them catering to a different demographic, but if their prices don't stay steady, won't be going there for the things we do.

Lowes? Don't see the point of that place at all. Oblivious.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:10 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Lowes? Don't see the point of that place at all. Oblivious.
Lowes is miles better than they were a few years ago, but still waaaaay behind the others.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:58 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,591 times
My HT is one of the larger newer ones maybe their bakery dept is better than other HTs? I find it sufficient. For example, my favorite is Tiramisu at HT. Half a whole Tiramisu at HT is about $5.99, when I was at Wegmans I wanted to try the same. For the same size, at Wegmans it was $24.99. Sorry, no thanks.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:27 PM

And then there's this from a related thread, sad but some truth there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
...the area.... I find it very bland - a replicating sameness.

Look what over-excites some here - shopping at supermarkets for cripes sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary