Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 AM

18 posts, read 48,567 times

Advertisements

When taking a right turn into a road with two lanes in each direction, is it legal to turn directly into the left lane? In my former state it was illegal, but I see it done here all the time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 AM

72 posts, read 256,756 times
Default It's illegal

I was surprised at the prevalence of this too. I couldn't find anything on this in the NC Drivers manual, but the statutes (available here: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedl...chapter_20.pdf) do specify:
Quote:
§ 20-153. Turning at intersections.
(a) Right Turns. – Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
This to me clearly means that a right turn must be made into the right lane, unless there is an unusual situation like a double right turn.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyBikes View Post
When taking a right turn into a road with two lanes in each direction, is it legal to turn directly into the left lane? In my former state it was illegal, but I see it done here all the time.

Actually it's not illegal here in NC in certain circumstances. I'm sure an officer could ticket for crossing a double-solid or failure to yield to right of way if it's a car that just blatantly wants to take the turn at an excessive speed and crosses into the oncoming lane. However, if it's a truck it's recommended to turn into the oncoming lane of the street the truck is turning on to. In the CDL manual is states to stay to the right side of the street the driver is currently on and not to "swing out".

go to pg.55.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv.../CDLmanual.pdf

Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
For left turns, for example, the statute actually says:

Quote:
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of that vehicle, and, after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction upon the roadway being entered.
There's no restriction on which lane you complete the turn into.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-14-2009 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text, as that post also deleted.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Actually it's not illegal here in NC in certain circumstances. I'm sure an officer could ticket for crossing a double-solid or failure to yield to right of way if it's a car that just blatantly wants to take the turn at an excessive speed and crosses into the oncoming lane. However, if it's a truck it's recommended to turn into the oncoming lane of the street the truck is turning on to. In the CDL manual is states to stay to the right side of the street the driver is currently on and not to "swing out".
I could be mistaken, but I believe you're misinterpreting what the OP is asking. I believe she is asking about a situation where you're on a 2 lane road, turning/merging onto a 4 lane road. With the driver turning into the left hand lane instead of the right hand lane. No double solid lines or oncoming traffic comes into play. In the state where I learned to drive, it was called "changing lanes in an intersection", and was illegal.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:36 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
You'll find such activities as not using turning signals and not stopping at stop signs are enforced far more often in other areas than they are in North Carolina, too.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You'll find such activities as not using turning signals and not stopping at stop signs are enforced far more often in other areas than they are in North Carolina, too.
Yeah, they don't enforce this one much either:

Quote:
The driver of any vehicle upon a highway or public vehicular area before starting, stopping or turning from a direct line shall first see that such movement can be made in safety, and if any pedestrian may be affected by such movement shall give a clearly audible signal by sounding the horn.
Dang Southerners won't honk even when the law requires it!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
This is the least of one's worries on NC roads. People's general inability to use turn signals in this part of the country is far more disconcerting.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 AM

234 posts, read 822,737 times
No it is not legal, but people here do it all the time. I have almost been hit a number of times from people doing this!

John

Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
So turn into the right lane and immediately throw on your turn signal and continue into the left lane. Problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary