Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 09:36 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,335,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
We have Sheetz here, so many PA people should feel at home
Unless they have goose blood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:59 AM

678 posts, read 734,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Unless they have goose blood...

Is that a beer name, or like literally goose blood? Sheetz here do have Yuengling

Old 05-04-2018, 10:08 AM

151 posts, read 146,780 times
Or unless their allegiance is to WaWa. Philly area loves their WaWa. So I am a bit ignorant here so when you guys need a big city fix what do you consider the closest big city to visit? Charlotte? Do you just go further to DC?

Typically Philly for me a great city just wish it could be moved to a nice warm place. Or in the south is that Atlanta?

Old 05-04-2018, 02:38 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Or unless their allegiance is to WaWa. Philly area loves their WaWa. So I am a bit ignorant here so when you guys need a big city fix what do you consider the closest big city to visit? Charlotte? Do you just go further to DC?

Typically Philly for me a great city just wish it could be moved to a nice warm place. Or in the south is that Atlanta?
We just don't go to big cities until we travel out of state for some reason.

Meh. There's no need unless you just want to smell car exhaust, see big buildings, and/or attend some function one can ONLY find in a big city. We have museums. We have traveling productions of musicals, we have sports teams, and we have concerts.

We have plenty of outdoor activities unless one needs an ocean for them, which people then travel to the coast for that.

If one wants some mountains (unless one wants to ski) one usually just drives up around Asheville.

I have never "driven to Charlotte for a city fix." Ever.

It's not that much bigger than Raleigh.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Yeah, we don't need no "big city fix" around here, but if you're dying for some traffic hop on I-95 and head to DC. It's about 4 hours on a good day, or 7 hours on a bad day.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:03 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,573,732 times
For a big city fix I hop in a plane and go to Boston or Chicago which are short flights. But driving to dc works too - just not my preferred city. Not a NYC fan.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:42 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
I definitely need a big city fix. I like to walk everywhere, so the bigger the place, the more to explore, the better. I love exploring different neighborhoods and corners and taking in the vibe of big cities. I get energized from it, so cities that have small, walkable cores don't cut it for me over a long-time period. I also dislike driving into cities, so cities where I can take the train or bike in really improves the experience for me. (Although driving into Raleigh and Durham are pretty easy.)

My ideal day is walking around DC, checking out an exhibit at a museum or walking along the Mall to see what festival is going on or biking downtown along the C&O canal into Georgetown and grabbing lunch or walking along Embassy Row on Embassy Open House Weekend (this weekend and next! https://www.culturaltourismdc.org/po...gnature-events) and being immersed in different cultures. Or taking the train into NYC and exploring the Lower East Side, looking at the architecture, trying out a variety of ethnic foods, people watching, etc.

I've lived here for 6 years (originally from Philly and then DC) and generally I go to DC 4-5 times per year, head up to Philly twice a year, Miami once per year and do NYC about every other year. Since I've lived here I've also been to Montréal twice, Toronto once, Boston once, Charlotte once, and Pittsburgh (not necessarily a big city, but dense and walkable) once. I keep planning to go to Atlanta, but it never seems to work out.

I don't like to fly, so we drive to all of these cities. Except for DC (and Charlotte), all of our travel occurs over the summer or Christmas/Thanksgiving/Spring breaks because if you are driving, really only DC and Charlotte are doable for a weekend trip and maybe Atlanta for a 3-day weekend. As soon as my husband retires, we are likely moving to a big city for at least part of the year.

And while Sheetz is okay , WaWa is the name of the game, especially their HoagieFest. Just named best sandwich shop in America! Wawa has the best sandwiches in America - Business Insider

Old 05-05-2018, 04:44 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRGUY View Post
Hello, considering a relocation to the RD area and was hoping for some feedback on how you like-dislike the area? Any NE folks or Pa specifically such as Lehigh Valley or NEPA?

I realize RD isn't going to be Philly or Pittsburgh from an urban amenities standpoint, but I am sort of imagining a bigger more lively Lehigh Valley? Is that totally off base? With better weather of course these Pa winters are atrocious anymore.

Thanks
Born in NEPA, where I still have family, lived in central PA, and many years in NW PA.

I moved here from Lebanon, PA about 21 years ago.
Depressed, smaller town, of course.

Never looked back.
Nothing in PA is going to draw me back, other than family visits. Certainly not to live there.

I am personally motivated by the far better climate here, preferring the hotter weather here over the stupid winters in PA.
Additionally, the economic environment in the Triangle surpasses a great deal of the depressed small towns and rural areas in PA. Of course, that probably doesn't describe all of the Lehigh Valley.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 AM

151 posts, read 146,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Born in NEPA, where I still have family, lived in central PA, and many years in NW PA.

I moved here from Lebanon, PA about 21 years ago.
Depressed, smaller town, of course.

Never looked back.
Nothing in PA is going to draw me back, other than family visits. Certainly not to live there.

I am personally motivated by the far better climate here, preferring the hotter weather here over the stupid winters in PA.
Additionally, the economic environment in the Triangle surpasses a great deal of the depressed small towns and rural areas in PA. Of course, that probably doesn't describe all of the Lehigh Valley.
Mike, great stuff and I assumed the Triangle was much better financially. Not totally familiar with central P.a.besides HBurg but Nepa is as economically distressed as ever. LV is actually doing well but you can't change the awful weather! Scranton and Wbarre are a mess financially. There aren't many jobs, weather is really terrible, not much to do etc.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,483,237 times
I saw almost as many Terrible Towels on people's cars there as I did in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary