Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephz1008 View Post
That is exactly what I am saying, the "locals" while they may voice their concerns, are nothing but "truly southern" in their gracious and welcoming attitudes. Yet I have met in person and on this board, several transplants who seem to think the more of us "northerners" or "transplants" that come down, the worse the area gets.
Te only transplants I've ever encountered who behaved that way are the individuals on this forum. That's it. That's all. I have not come across ANYone in real life who were unwelcoming to transplants - be they natives or transplants themselves. Also I have not met anyone who did the whole, "Well, back in XYZ, we did things this way." I have only ever heard people complain about hearing those comments here on this forum. Not once have I heard that in real life.

But hey ... who is to say whether my experience is typical or unusual, you know? I can only tell you about my own experiences and they have been overwhelmingly positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 AM

269 posts, read 944,292 times
Well, I am glad to see my experience is not the norm and that there is hope I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten the "Oh, you are from New York" eyeroll Personally I enjoy the diversity, but there are plenty that seem to not like it.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 AM

Stephz, I wonder if maybe my husband and I have had a differnt experience not just because we've encountered different people, but possibly because we didn't move here from New England. Afterall, I'm from Oklahoma and my husband is from England. We're kinda unusual around here!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Stephz, I wonder if maybe my husband and I have had a differnt experience not just because we've encountered different people, but possibly because we didn't move here from New England. Afterall, I'm from Oklahoma and my husband is from England. We're kinda unusual around here!
That might be a small part of it, Mrs. Steel. When I moved to the Pacific Northwest, people from parts OTHER than California were welcomed!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 AM

144 posts, read 496,763 times
Quote:
Te only transplants I've ever encountered who behaved that way are the individuals on this forum. That's it. That's all. I have not come across ANYone in real life who were unwelcoming to transplants - be they natives or transplants themselves. Also I have not met anyone who did the whole, "Well, back in XYZ, we did things this way." I have only ever heard people complain about hearing those comments here on this forum. Not once have I heard that in real life.

But hey ... who is to say whether my experience is typical or unusual, you know? I can only tell you about my own experiences and they have been overwhelmingly positive.
So here is the thing. While I agree with your statement that the transplants and natives were equally welcoming when you talk to them in person or live around them. I agree that only in this board that people talk about wanting to stop transplant migration,etc.
But the fact is that they get to voice their free opinion in this board so they come out with their true opinion. When you meet someone in person you normally wont be rude to them saying " oh, you are from xyz, then get the hell out". People are polite (for most part) and not argumentative when you meet them in person. On top of that, I feel the true "southeners" are more polite and more hospitable, in my opinion. So you dont really know what they are thinking until they get to voice their free opinion.

Again, it is their personal opinion and they are welcome to voice it. No way that is going to stop me from moving down there. But it is interesting to see that resistance comes mostly from transplants and not from natives.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,360 times
I don't get it. I have moved here over 2 yrs ago and I have found nothing but huge welcomes. I live in Willow Spring and work in Cary and its been overwhelmingly welcoming. I work with many natives and the jokes are there about me being the yankee and all but its all in good fun.. I wouldn't have it any other way. They would give me the shirt off their backs.

Maybe some people that move here have issues they don't know about and the natives pick up on it.. Just a thought.

L

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM

Nickandy, what can I say. I can't read people's minds. I cannot possibly know if a transplant who is nice to my face might actually feel differently inside. I can only tell you what I've experienced in my day-to-day life and in that day-to-day life I have never been made to feel unwelcome here.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 AM

144 posts, read 496,763 times
Quote:
Nickandy, what can I say. I can't read people's minds. I cannot possibly know if a transplant who is nice to my face might actually feel differently inside. I can only tell you what I've experienced in my day-to-day life and in that day-to-day life I have never been made to feel unwelcome here.
Again, I am not saying that they actually do that. All I am saying is that the tansplants in this board (not just one, but I have seen quiet a few) are against migation/ gentrification. So like stephz I am wondering if it is just this few, or more old transplants aginst the new ones.

All in all, I dont see any original/ native NCs say anything bad or saying wanting to stop people moving in by building the next great wall.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickandy View Post
So like stephz I am wondering if it is just this few, or more old transplants aginst the new ones.
Based on my experience over the last two years, those few do not reflect what I have encountered in my day-to-day life.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
As both a Southerner and a native North Carolinian, I apologize for such rudeness. Southern-born and Southern-bred will find such behavior inexcusable.

That said, "welcome." I am flattered you liked the area well enough, and found most people amiable enough to want to live here, and call NC 'home.'

Regardless of where you ever go, I think you'll find folks who complain about the transplants. I don't think the Romans were too popular, historically, everywhere they went. But, if you can step back and assess that most of the feelings have been good ones, there's little point in dwelling on the negatives.

Unhappy people are just unhappy, and negativity just breeds negativity.

Next time someone wants to make you feel unwelcome, just smile, graciously, and say something like, "thank you for putting out the welcome mat." They'll likely surmise you are a complete idiot, but you will not have let them get-to-you, and I never like feeling as if I have stooped to another's level, or acknowledged the negativity. I think it ultimately comes back to them, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary