Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:12 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
As both a Southerner and a native North Carolinian, I apologize for such rudeness. Southern-born and Southern-bred will find such behavior inexcusable.

That said, "welcome." I am flattered you liked the area well enough, and found most people amiable enough to want to live here, and call NC 'home.'

Regardless of where you ever go, I think you'll find folks who complain about the transplants. I don't think the Romans were too popular, historically, everywhere they went. But, if you can step back and assess that most of the feelings have been good ones, there's little point in dwelling on the negatives.

Unhappy people are just unhappy, and negativity just breeds negativity.

Next time someone wants to make you feel unwelcome, just smile, graciously, and say something like, "thank you for putting out the welcome mat." They'll likely surmise you are a complete idiot, but you will not have let them get-to-you, and I never like feeling as if I have stooped to another's level, or acknowledged the negativity. I think it ultimately comes back to them, anyway.

I think we see more on this board because of the nature of the forum. But whether or not that's how people really think but put on a different public face, or if the opinions on this board are truly a minority is a question we can't answer.

The Romans were a bit heavy-handed in their approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
As both a Southerner and a native North Carolinian, I apologize for such rudeness. Southern-born and Southern-bred will find such behavior inexcusable.

That said, "welcome." I am flattered you liked the area well enough, and found most people amiable enough to want to live here, and call NC 'home.'

Regardless of where you ever go, I think you'll find folks who complain about the transplants. I don't think the Romans were too popular, historically, everywhere they went. But, if you can step back and assess that most of the feelings have been good ones, there's little point in dwelling on the negatives.

Unhappy people are just unhappy, and negativity just breeds negativity.

Next time someone wants to make you feel unwelcome, just smile, graciously, and say something like, "thank you for putting out the welcome mat." They'll likely surmise you are a complete idiot, but you will not have let them get-to-you, and I never like feeling as if I have stooped to another's level, or acknowledged the negativity. I think it ultimately comes back to them, anyway.
Some folks think I'm one of the unwelcoming ones since I came here from New Orleans in 1989 after a collapse of the Louisiana oil economy.

I love meeting new residents and enjoy their experiences. Great to meet them and help with any info about the area, etc.

It's not the folks, it's the quantity of them that hurts our great lifestyle. There was always room for a few, but this is now out of control and overwhelming our infrastructure.

Thanks to the greed of politicians, development is not required to pay its way up front shafting all taxpayers in the county.

There are many outlying counties desperately needing industry and good jobs. Wake has enough.

The complete traffic gridlock a few years ago when snow fell mid-day illustrates how the influx and added sprawl has set up Wake for a big fall.

It's time to say enough! Perhaps more residential opportunities in RTP and a complete shutdown of road expansion might stop the spread of sprawl.

Do we really want a Southern branch of New Jersey?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:23 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Call me 'Pollyanna,' but I don't think the area will become Southern New Jersey any time soon. And in the meanwhile, the energy it takes to make one individual feel bad about having made the choice to move here, might be better spent sending emails to local legislators, and writing letters to the editors of the local papers.

About all you have achieved in being rude to an individual is making yourself look bad.

I certainly agree, SaturnFan, that the influx of folks moving here is placing a strain on the infrastructure, but rolling up the welcome mat and slamming the door in my neighbors' faces isn't going to accomplish much.

Nice thing about the forum, is you don't have to respond to the negative ones. On the streets of my neighborhood, I have to pass them.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Call me 'Pollyanna,' but I don't think the area will become Southern New Jersey any time soon. And in the meanwhile, the energy it takes to make one individual feel bad about having made the choice to move here, might be better spent sending emails to local legislators, and writing letters to the editors of the local papers.

About all you have achieved in being rude to an individual is making yourself look bad.

I certainly agree, SaturnFan, that the influx of folks moving here is placing a strain on the infrastructure, but rolling up the welcome mat and slamming the door in my neighbors' faces isn't going to accomplish much.

Nice thing about the forum, is you don't have to respond to the negative ones. On the streets of my neighborhood, I have to pass them.
I don't advocate rudeness either.

However, it's time to stop encouraging businesses or residents to move here.

Don't slam the door, but stop making it seem like the door leads to Heaven.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:28 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The complete traffic gridlock a few years ago when snow fell mid-day illustrates how the influx and added sprawl has set up Wake for a big fall.
I think most people would argue that the gridlock was a result of bad road conditions created by the sudden winter storm.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
applauds the politeness and articulation in your response.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 AM

306 posts, read 1,306,116 times
Of ten random Triangle people I estimate:

One person openly hates transplants, of all kinds, northern, foreign, from Charlotte etc. If your great great grandparents (and everyone born since) were native to the Triangle then you are approved. They begrudge the presence of all others.

Two people dislike transplants and complain about them amongst themselves. They also rant anonymously online. They are sometimes natives but often not. Occasionally they will find an individual transplant to be acceptable. They will remark upon this curiousity.

Three people like transplants on a personal level but may have reservations about how the population growth is being managed.

Four people love transplants and are welcoming to pretty much everyone. The more the merrier attitude prevails.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Interesting statistics, Snowpea. Probably fairly accurate.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 PM

269 posts, read 943,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I don't advocate rudeness either.

However, it's time to stop encouraging businesses or residents to move here.

Don't slam the door, but stop making it seem like the door leads to Heaven.

Saturn Fan, please do not take this as a personal attack, but this is exactly the type of thing I am speaking of. I have personally never heard this sentiment from anyone but a transplant. (that doesn't say that there isn't any native that hasn't said it, I just have not encountered it)

How would this statement have affected you if someone were to say it before you left New Orleans?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 PM

55 posts, read 146,060 times
I certainly welcome whoever wants to move here, regardless of where they're coming from. I reserve the right to dislike people based on who they are, rather than where they're from. :P I'm a native looking to move out, actually. Maybe it's because I'm young, or have a strong liberal education, but although I understand the area's appeal, I don't share it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary