Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 PM

47 posts, read 247,514 times

Advertisements

My family moved to Wake Forest about 15 years ago onto a large country street that was owned entirely by members of three families. We got the "Go home, Yankee!" for about ten years until everyone got over the fact that we weren't leaving and we weren't as rude as the rumors of northerners suggest.

One of our neighbors actually used to sit on her back porch, working her way through a case of beer while shooting her shot gun at toys of ours that had made their way into her yard. We had neighbors across the street with a pack of pitbulls who would run free and snarl at us if we tried going on their side of the road. (We played inside a lot as kids... heh.)

If you got a warm welcome from born-and-raised North Carolinians, things must have changed a lot since my family relocated! =p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 PM

28 posts, read 17,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
The Romans were a bit heavy-handed in their approach.

.....as are some transplants.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:33 AM

546 posts, read 2,417,453 times
We have always felt welcome here. I don't think anyone has said anything unkind to us (in regard to moving here from up north). It has been a very easy and pleasant transition for us.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
We have always felt welcome here. I don't think anyone has said anything unkind to us (in regard to moving here from up north). It has been a very easy and pleasant transition for us.
Again...its always how YOU relate to others! I can tell from your posts that you'd never had problems getting along with others as well as I can tell from other posts who will have trouble getting along with anyone. That's human nature! Some people are nice and some are not!!!

I do think the issue with this forum is that there are those that are so anonymous that they feel like they can say anything. That always surprises me. And there are those that just say what they can to stir up trouble.

Those of us that use our real names tend to be more realistic in our answers and are here to help others, not bash them.

Welcome to NC!!!

Vicki

Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I think most people would argue that the gridlock was a result of bad road conditions created by the sudden winter storm.
Let me try this yet again.

I agree. An unexpected late afternoon winter storm can make a mess of the best intentioned work crews. Add to that the media-induced rush created by those headline grabbing "it's the storm of the century" trailers and you have people leaving work in droves, getting into their cars, and duking it out to get home. Normal rush hour which would seem bad enough to locals, suddenly becomes Dante's fifth level of inferno!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 AM

282 posts, read 835,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeeler View Post
.....as are some transplants.
Do you have examples you'd care to share? It's always seemed to me that how this area grows was based on the LOCAL government, not the transplants? I mean - the tech growth, the jobs, expanding the area, turning the area economy into something viable and not based on tobacco, ramping up the education system - all of that was planned for in the 50's, by the area leaders at the time. All that we are seeing today is a result of that planning and execution. How do the "transplants" play into that, or rather, have any influence over that?

It seems to me that it would take years for "transplants" to have any influence. And by that point, are they "transplants" anymore?

As an asider - how long does it take for the stigma of being a transplant to wear off? Is there an actual definition? A proficiency test?

Really - just curious.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 AM

90 posts, read 296,971 times
I think Sweetpea's statistics are probably pretty accurate myself - and once again, feel like Mrs.Steel probably should write a book or something as her wisdom is impressive! =)

I've been here 15 years and have been fortunate enough to have been privy to some very serious and open discussions about this subject with groups of native friends. Night shifts are good for that. One is openly antagonistic (hateful even.) Several honestly don't really care for what they see as a "Yankee" personality - but they try not to be judgemental. Really. And many have serious concerns about the growth and would give their eye-teeth to have things back the way it was when they were growing up.

And although it hurt my feelings a little, many agreed that in their hearts, they DID not believe that my children (both born in Raleigh) were Southerners. "If the cat has kittens in the oven, you don't call them biscuits." I don't know exactly what that makes my kids. They've never lived anywhere but here. But citizens of the world is okay by me.

This came from people whom I am close enough to consider like family!!

I've found Southern pride to be very unique and complex - and as much as I don't want to be pigeon-holed and stereotyped, I don't want to do the same to my native NC friends.

I've never been treated badly by anyone save that one person - and that was only after he knew me fairly well. To him, he was being honest. Frankly, though, he's not the most likeable guy. And he wouldn't be all that likeable in San Fransico, Chicago, Buenos Aires, Amsterdam or anywhere.

Most people I know who moved here from metropolitan areas have a huge culture shock - but it isn't because the people are rude (or dumb or ignorant or any other stereotype.) The people here are complex, vibrant, interesting and friendly. And in the Triangle, they are generally extremely educated, which is cool. But generalizations are just that.

That's my wordy $0.02, anyway.

If you like warm weather, gorgeous landscape, friendly communities, trees, mountains and ocean... I'm not sure anywhere on earth is better. =)

Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 AM

269 posts, read 944,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristennc View Post

And although it hurt my feelings a little, many agreed that in their hearts, they DID not believe that my children (both born in Raleigh) were Southerners. "If the cat has kittens in the oven, you don't call them biscuits." I don't know exactly what that makes my kids. They've never lived anywhere but here. But citizens of the world is okay by me.
I guess by that token, none of the people telling you this are Americans

I wonder how many generations make you a southerner.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 AM

282 posts, read 835,359 times
Quote:
Well - sorry to hear that. You can't fix bigotry, and like it or not - that's what that is. That's a cold-hearted thing, even IF it was wrapped in all of the prettiments of the Southern "politeness" model. A slur is still a slur, even when it's wrapped in "Please", "Bless your heart", and "Ma'am" or "Sir". Stabbing someone in the heart isn't "more pleasant" when the person doing it has a smile on and is serving you Sweet Tea.

Even from "friends", although I would have to find myself questioning that description if in their minds they feel the need to actually make that distinction after all of that time.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,679 times
YOU'RE the one who had the kittens/biscuits comment made to you. I've been racking my brain trying to think of who that was. Then again, there isn't much of my brain to rack these days!

I can only hope that once I make the move that we'll fit in. At least my husband already has an accent. He was born and raised in southern Virginia. I don't know how far back his family goes in that area, but I'm assuming it's pretty far.

I was born and raised here in Florida. My type is referred to as a Florida cracker because my family dates back pretty far (for Florida standards anyway). It's my type that's being run out of my state. So, I can definitely relate to what some of the native North Carolinians feel about the recent influx of new residents. I just hope that I'll be welcomed once I make the move.

My maternal grandfather was originally from North Carolina, although I'm not sure about the area. But there's an elementary school in Wake County that has his same last name (Baucom Elementary), so I'm wondering how the school got its name.

I look forward to making the move and certainly hope that we'll be accepted once we arrive. I've been doing my best to join some online parenting groups local to Johnston County so that I can get to know people prior to my arrival. It'll make the transition easier.

Quote:
I think Sweetpea's statistics are probably pretty accurate myself - and once again, feel like Mrs.Steel probably should write a book or something as her wisdom is impressive! =)

I've been here 15 years and have been fortunate enough to have been privy to some very serious and open discussions about this subject with groups of native friends. Night shifts are good for that. One is openly antagonistic (hateful even.) Several honestly don't really care for what they see as a "Yankee" personality - but they try not to be judgemental. Really. And many have serious concerns about the growth and would give their eye-teeth to have things back the way it was when they were growing up.

This came from people whom I am close enough to consider like family!!

I've found Southern pride to be very unique and complex - and as much as I don't want to be pigeon-holed and stereotyped, I don't want to do the same to my native NC friends.

I've never been treated badly by anyone save that one person - and that was only after he knew me fairly well. To him, he was being honest. Frankly, though, he's not the most likeable guy. And he wouldn't be all that likeable in San Fransico, Chicago, Buenos Aires, Amsterdam or anywhere.

Most people I know who moved here from metropolitan areas have a huge culture shock - but it isn't because the people are rude (or dumb or ignorant or any other stereotype.) The people here are complex, vibrant, interesting and friendly. And in the Triangle, they are generally extremely educated, which is cool. But generalizations are just that.

That's my wordy $0.02, anyway.

If you like warm weather, gorgeous landscape, friendly communities, trees, mountains and ocean... I'm not sure anywhere on earth is better. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary