Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2018, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 7,266 times

Advertisements

Anyone can give us any advice for the area around Wake Tech community college, the specific address is 8821 Reigate Lane, Raleigh NC. We are trying to move to the area from Tampa, Florida and have been a bit hard to get some feeling of what areas are safe and have good schools. What we are measuring in our search is:

• Good schools/daycare, the little one is just a few months.
  • Low crime community.
  • People not being very conservative (Mostly because Christian education)
  • Or not friendly to foreign folks, we are Cubans and moved here just 2 years ago, we say Y'all and everything but still, we have our accent.
  • Nice outdoors.
  • Close to downtown or RTP for future jobs (I'll be working from home for now but I work for a tech startup that may not work out or run out of funds in 2 or 3 years and wife is working on her online business as well).

Does anyone can give us some advice on the area and given our needs/situation? We will be highly grateful for that.

Last edited by codeadict; 05-05-2018 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 07:21 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeadict View Post
Anyone can give us any advice for the area around Wake Tech community college, the specific address is 8821 Reigate Lane, Raleigh NC. We are trying to move to the area from Tampa, Florida and have been a bit hard to get some feeling of what areas are safe and have good schools. What we are measuring in our search is:

• Low crime community.
  • People not being very conservative or not friendly to foreign folks, we are Cubans and moved here just 2 years ago, we say Y'all and everything but still, we have our accent.
  • Nice outdoors.
  • Close to downtown or RTP for future jobs (I'll be working from home for now but I work for a tech startup that may not work out or run out of funds in 2 or 3 years and wife is working on her online business as well).

Does anyone can give us some advice on the area and given our needs/situation? We will be highly grateful for that.

It kind of seems like you are saying conservatives don't like foreign people? I really hope that wasn't your intention because that is just ridiculous. Either way it's a really stupid question to ask. Nobody will care you are foreign, from Cuba, what you say, or how you say it. Conservative, Liberal, or anyone in between. Please keep the racist card in your wallet.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:04 PM

That wasn't really the intention, is why i said "or". Sorry if i didn't expressed it well but had some bad experience in the past and i think is fair wanting to be in an area where the community that surrounds me and my family is a friendly one, which have been the case 99% of the time here in America. The Conservative i refer mostly because of schools, while we respect al faiths don't want daugther to be in a Christian school.

Last edited by codeadict; 05-05-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 05-06-2018, 05:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeadict View Post
  • Low crime community.
  • People not being very conservative (Mostly because Christian education)
  • Or not friendly to foreign folks, we are Cubans and moved here just 2 years ago, we say Y'all and everything but still, we have our accent.
  • Nice outdoors.
I am about 1.5 miles from this neighborhood and have lived here for the last 11 years.

The schools in this area are "good". They're not "great" if you compare them to the schools up in West Cary and Morrisville, where proximity to RTP puts them in a higher league, but they're good. You would be assigned to Banks Elementary, which has a year-round calendar. You can also apply to attend Fuquay Varina Elementary, or Lincoln Heights Elementary, which both have a traditional calendar. I am not specifically familiar with any of the Fuquay Varina schools and daycares as our neighborhood is assigned to schools in southern Cary and Raleigh.

No need to worry about crime. There may be some minor break-ins, but nothing serious. This is a semi-rural area that is just starting to become "suburbanized". For the last 10 years, our neighborhood has been surrounded by soybean, pumpkin, tobacco, and strawberry fields, depending on the season.

People here are conservative, but I have never encountered any hostilities

The commute to downtown Raleigh is not bad. I would say 20 minutes WITHOUT traffic. RTP is a bit worse. I would say 30 minutes WITHOUT traffic. Depending on when you commute, it will be worse than that. For the entire time that I have lived here, I have worked in Morrisville and southern RTP. My commute (leaving house at 6:30 am to arrive at office by 7am) has been between 25 and 35 minutes.

BUT. . . . . HERE IS THE BIGGEST THING THAT YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED WITH!!!!

There is a new freeway being built in this area. It will be started this year, with plans to complete it in the next 3 or so years. I want you to watch this video, and fast forward to time 2:25 or so. Then decide if you want to live in this neighborhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU3U...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-06-2018, 06:07 AM

61 posts, read 51,366 times
>while we respect al faiths don't want daugther to be in a Christian school.

Then don't send her to private christian school...?

Raleigh isn't the rural south. It's a metro area, and is very diverse.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:09 AM

634 posts, read 912,940 times
I'd agree with NewUser that the 540 project will be a headache, especially all around this neighborhood. Have a look at the NC DOT detail for this area - https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA...40_dphm_03.pdf

The neighborhood entrance will be affected and a new road will be going in behind the house, rerouting the Donny Brook Road connection to 401 down to the Wake Tech main entrance light (no picnic in itself).

Yes, once finished, 540 will likely reduce travel time to some other areas, but that bright spot is dulled as it will be a expensive per mile, TOLL road.

Also, the traffic at commute times through the Ten-Ten / 401 intersection, especially going west is heavy and getting worse by the year. I'd also add that, at least for me, the house and vehicle insurance seems somewhat hiked in the 27603 zipcode, perhaps because it extends all the way up into the city.

The drive to the Banks Road Elementary school is pretty easy, especially via Randsdell Road. I don't recall a daycare center being nearby.

Last edited by ncdust; 05-06-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I am about 1.5 miles from this neighborhood and have lived here for the last 11 years.

The schools in this area are "good". They're not "great" if you compare them to the schools up in West Cary and Morrisville, where proximity to RTP puts them in a higher league, but they're good. You would be assigned to Banks Elementary, which has a year-round calendar. You can also apply to attend Fuquay Varina Elementary, or Lincoln Heights Elementary, which both have a traditional calendar. I am not specifically familiar with any of the Fuquay Varina schools and daycares as our neighborhood is assigned to schools in southern Cary and Raleigh.

No need to worry about crime. There may be some minor break-ins, but nothing serious. This is a semi-rural area that is just starting to become "suburbanized". For the last 10 years, our neighborhood has been surrounded by soybean, pumpkin, tobacco, and strawberry fields, depending on the season.

People here are conservative, but I have never encountered any hostilities

The commute to downtown Raleigh is not bad. I would say 20 minutes WITHOUT traffic. RTP is a bit worse. I would say 30 minutes WITHOUT traffic. Depending on when you commute, it will be worse than that. For the entire time that I have lived here, I have worked in Morrisville and southern RTP. My commute (leaving house at 6:30 am to arrive at office by 7am) has been between 25 and 35 minutes.

BUT. . . . . HERE IS THE BIGGEST THING THAT YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED WITH!!!!

There is a new freeway being built in this area. It will be started this year, with plans to complete it in the next 3 or so years. I want you to watch this video, and fast forward to time 2:25 or so. Then decide if you want to live in this neighborhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU3U...ature=youtu.be
Wow, talk about a headache! I’d hope it would be required to disclose this information to all potential buyers in the area. If you are moving from outside of the area, you may have no idea that the beautiful area is about to become a war zone in a matter of months.

OP: While the next 2-3 years is going to be total havoc, I’d bet it will pay off once the job is complete. It will relieve congestion on major roads and will also raise property values in the area as people avoid the area since it’s known to be a traffic nightmare.

I’d say that overall this area is conservative but I’ve never had any religion shoved down my throat (except for the JWs, which you pretty much have to run out with a baseball bat ).

If your username means what I think it does, there will be (and are) plenty of coding jobs here.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2018, 08:38 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
540 construction notwithstanding, generally the further south and you go from Raleigh (especially), the more measurably conservative it is. It also gets less expensive. The further you are from the cities in NC, the more conservative and religious communities get. This is really not a Raleigh thing though; it's the prevailing model across the country.
That said, the larger the Triangle gets, the more the edge areas change with communities, and practically entire suburban towns like Holly Springs, seemingly coming out of nowhere.
While Raleigh and Wake County governments are now generally "blue" with the majority of people very politically active in terms of participation, the entire county lacks the palatable tension and hostility that one might expect from the cross section of political discourse in a fast growing, rapidly changing, & highly educated Southern city.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
Wow, talk about a headache! I’d hope it would be required to disclose this information to all potential buyers in the area. If you are moving from outside of the area, you may have no idea that the beautiful area is about to become a war zone in a matter of months.

OP: While the next 2-3 years is going to be total havoc, I’d bet it will pay off once the job is complete. It will relieve congestion on major roads and will also raise property values in the area as people avoid the area since it’s known to be a traffic nightmare.

I’d say that overall this area is conservative but I’ve never had any religion shoved down my throat (except for the JWs, which you pretty much have to run out with a baseball bat ).

If your username means what I think it does, there will be (and are) plenty of coding jobs here.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, the traffic is no major issue in upcoming years to me because I will be working from home and coffee shops for now, I will stay on the same company I have been last 2 years and I know a tech that is rare to find programmers so I'll most likely have a job for some time. In the future Redhat looks appealing to me and is why I wanna stay relatively close to downtown without the big price hit, plus we are mostly outdoors people, kayaking and hiking is mostly what we do for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary