Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 02:09 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,445,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

But it goes beyond that. The constant changes in standards and curriculum cost money. My child started 8th grade this year and guess what new curriculum for Math 1 complete with about 8 workbooks for every child in it. They somehow find money for that. They are also paying A TON of money for teachers to work the reading camps for kids who aren't hitting 3rd grade reading EOG targets. For like 2-3 kids each session. It is complete BS. They ALWAYS find money for this stuff. Always.
Wait - are you saying it's BS to fund materials to support changes in curriculum brought on by the changing politics of the state legislature? And that it's BS to work intensively with struggling third grade readers as required by state law? (The strongest predictor of high school graduation is third grade reading scores, btw.)

Ok.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:09 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,806,388 times
https://www.wral.com/cooper-calls-fo...ises/17545296/

Old 05-11-2018, 09:53 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,972,215 times
Why this Durham teacher isn't going to Raleigh May 16 | The Herald Sun

To my DPS colleagues protesting on May 16 please don’t ever complain about students doing another teacher’s work during your class. You are protesting and doing your thing on the students' time.

RELATED STORIES FROM DURHAM HERALD SUN
Charter school teachers: ‘We won’t be a Trojan Horse for dismantling public schools’
Charter school teachers: ‘We won’t be a Trojan Horse for dismantling public schools’

What to do with your kids on the day of the teacher rally? GOP offers up Coconut Charlie's.
What to do with your kids on the day of the teacher rally? GOP offers up Coconut Charlie's.

N.C. superintendent doesn't want schools closing so teachers can attend protest

Will Chatham County Schools close May 16?

Read more here: http://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/art...#storylink=cpy

SHOTS FIRED

Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 AM

11,219 posts, read 8,288,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Wait - are you saying it's BS to fund materials to support changes in curriculum brought on by the changing politics of the state legislature? And that it's BS to work intensively with struggling third grade readers as required by state law? (The strongest predictor of high school graduation is third grade reading scores, btw.)

Ok.
I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I think the claim that they can't afford to pay teachers a fair wage is what is BS. The point (as I read it) was that when there's a will, they always find a way. The takeaway here is that ultimately "they" don't value teachers enough to give them a raise, otherwise it would have already happened.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Why this Durham teacher isn't going to Raleigh May 16 | The Herald Sun

To my DPS colleagues protesting on May 16 please don’t ever complain about students doing another teacher’s work during your class. You are protesting and doing your thing on the students' time.

RELATED STORIES FROM DURHAM HERALD SUN

Read more here: Why this Durham teacher isn't going to Raleigh May 16 | The Herald Sun

SHOTS FIRED
I think the Governor disagrees, but this teacher has every right to his/her beliefs on the issue.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,972,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think the Governor disagrees, but this teacher has every right to his/her beliefs on the issue.
Hmm a politician wouldn’t take a position to his political benefit, you’re right

Old 05-11-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Hmm a politician wouldn’t take a position to his political benefit, you’re right
Of course he might.

Doesn't mean it's a wrong position, though.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Going to the polls in November might prove more effective than a rally, given how stubborn the General Assembly is...

Old 05-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Going to the polls in November might prove more effective than a rally, given how stubborn the General Assembly is...
Though, with the amount of gerrymandering still in NC...

Old 05-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Though, with the amount of gerrymandering still in NC...
Point taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.