Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 02:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
NC corporate tax rate is 3%, the lowest in the country. Maybe increasing that to 6% (the average rate in the US) could provide all the money the schools need. Let's not pretend our state is a major economic powerhouse because of that low rate so its completely unnecessary being so low.

I would argue the only reason this area is so strong economically is because of education, and yet there is little concern for maintaining or improving the quality of education. Without it NC would still be majority pig farms and agriculture.
Said by someone who doesn't pay taxes.

If you're going to increase taxes do it on individuals not businesses since they are regressive and transferred directly to the consumers.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if the hardest part of the teachers' job is that parents are negatively affecting the situation - be that complaining about their perfect little Sally getting a bad grade or causing trouble, or be that not giving a damn and encouraging work and achievement at home .... that problem doesn't come close to getting solved by raising teacher pay.

The front-line teachers should be paid more. Teachers should not HAVE TO buy supplies.
Of course not... but, would you not want more pay for the extra work it takes to wrangle unruly parents?

And, of course they should not have to buy necessary supplies. The fact that they have to is awful.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup, it was a job for "old maids" LOL. My DS' kindy teacher in NY was that type, she was the best! She was like a grandma but when they tried to stick it to her, she was ready for it. I swear these kids would have followed her off a cliff if she asked them to, they were absolutely hypnotized by her!
My son's kindy teacher here was like that. She had had kids, but they were long grown and she had been teaching forever. I think his class was her last before she retired. They adored her.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
https://imgur.com/VWCiGiq

Reinstate career status
End pay for performance

LOL
That has more to do with performance being based on kids' test scores that it does teachers not wanting to be judged on being good teachers.

In an ideal world, pay for performance would be the standard, but when you are not being offered ideal students, that sort of goes out the window.

Nobody has yet invented a metric for pay for performance that is fair to students AND to teachers, which is why teachers are opposed to it.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Honest question about supplies. At the beginning of the school year we get a list of community classroom supplies that we need to purchase, and everyone purchases/contributes. If teachers are spending so much on other supplies, why aren't they included? Or, why not just have each family contribute an Amazon gift card or something? I am more than happy to donate supplies or money for supplies.

I realize this wouldn't work as well in some school districts....

Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
What is the pay at catholic schoold
Are you considering a career change, perhaps?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:39 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Teaching is a female dominated profession and has been so historically.
Non-scientific single data point. My son has had more male teachers than female teachers since entering the public school system in grade 4 (he is now in grade 6). This year in 6th grade, he has 2 core teachers who are men and 2 who are women. That may be an aberration, tough.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:40 PM
rfb

Quote:
What is the pay at catholic schoold
In general, lower than public schools. I'm not sure that is relevant to the general discussion, though.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 PM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That has more to do with performance being based on kids' test scores that it does teachers not wanting to be judged on being good teachers.

In an ideal world, pay for performance would be the standard, but when you are not being offered ideal students, that sort of goes out the window.

Nobody has yet invented a metric for pay for performance that is fair to students AND to teachers, which is why teachers are opposed to it.
I'm not sure how that is different than most technical industries. Within a business, not all products produce the same ROI. Yet they find a (maybe flawed) way to evaluate individuals across these products even when the results are rather disparate. Is it perfect? Nope. Is it better than tenure-based pay raises? Absolutely (IMO at least).

Old 05-15-2018, 08:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I really don't think we need to motivate teachers to want to teach. Most already do which is why they are in the profession.

Thinking back in school most of us can think of maybe a few bad teachers out of dozens if not low hundred that we've had.

Are bad teachers really the issue here?

Pay market rate to attract good quality people and let the chips fall where they may. There is just so much outside their control as far as if students learn or not. Personally it would be frustrating getting stuck with the ones who don't GAS and just barely even show up for class. My GAS meter would be pegged at zero for them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary