Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Who paid for 15k red t-shirts today? Just curious...
The teachers I know bought their own. Or made them.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
The teachers I know bought their own. Or made them.
Yes, a know a teacher who was making them and people could buy them for like $10.

Red shirts have always been the color of protest for teachers, they will wear them to board meetings too, so many of them probably have shirts already.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Right, but it is an affiliate of the NEA, which is the national teacher's union.

Interesting that the national teachers union would have interest in a non-union state...hmm.
They have always had an interest. I taught about 15 years ago and they had an interest then and, to my knowledge, had one prior, so...

Old 05-16-2018, 11:05 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Probably the NCAE or something. Maybe the teachers paid for their own shirts. They pay for so much other stuff, they might as well.

I do not think the taxpayers did, if that's your worry.

The taxpayers paid for those school buses that were used to transport teachers and students to the protest though, and that took some audacity in my opinion.

And I love how now, teachers are the only profession to ever spend a dollar out of pocket for their chosen career. Really? That's silly. I paid $75 yesterday, to renew an annual licensure. One of two I just renew each year. Only a fraction if what I spend each year.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:05 AM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I don't know if we've fully funded it or not but you have to either raise taxes or cut services. Many of those states in the article have punishingly high tax rates especially in the Northeast. Why do you think we are getting so many transplants? Wisconsin may not have the high tax rates but they have half the population of NC..
I'm from the NE, so I'm aware and agree that the property taxes are SUPER high.

What strikes me as disingenuous are the claims that NC has raised taxes to fund education, when we remain at 6th from the bottom in funding.

The teachers are asking the state to aim for the middle of the pack. Right now, we are 6th lowest in funding and rank 39th in test scores (higher than what may be expected considering our funding). What happens if we are 25th in funding rather than 44th? We don't have to have NE level taxes. We can have middle of the pack taxes and middle of the pack funding.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
The taxpayers paid for those school buses that were used to transport teachers and students to the protest though, and that took some audacity in my opinion.

And I love how now, teachers are the only profession to ever spend a dollar out of pocket for their chosen career. Really? That's silly. I paid $75 yesterday, to renew an annual licensure. One of two I just renew each year. Only a fraction if what I spend each year.
Sure, most professions have licensure and professional development related costs. Teachers may have that, too.

But teachers buying supplies is more like servers being expected to bring napkins to the restaurant for the customers. And crayons for the kids. And maybe even extra shirts for people with spill food on themselves. Oh, and some of the food, too.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:15 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
its better to peg pay to neighboring states and in that regard we do pretty good

Kind of senseless to ask to be made middle of pack when so many states are COL

Old 05-16-2018, 11:16 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I'm from the NE, so I'm aware and agree that the property taxes are SUPER high.

The teachers are asking the state to aim for the middle of the pack. Right now, we are 6th lowest in funding and rank 39th in test scores (higher than what may be expected considering our funding). What happens if we are 25th in funding rather than 44th?
That would be interesting to see. Though throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve it.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:20 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
We're going to see some skyrocketing taxes around here in the very near future. Hope people are ready - no complaining!

What this really comes down to has nothing to do with teacher pay, and all to do with demographics. As mentioned above, schools where there's parental involvement seem to be doing fine.

What we *do* need to put money toward is relief of overcrowding, and funds to keep up with drastic population increases - cause it's only going to get worse.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
That would be interesting to see. Though throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve it.
Yes, I agree. And we are currently "outperforming" our funding level (which is good!)

But there does seem to be an overall trend between funding and performance, while not a direct relationship. The research seems mixed in regard to how much increased funding affect scores. But sitting at 6th lowest in funding and complaining about results seems a bit futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary