Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I always get my pies from https://www.facebook.com/MBs-Tasty-P...7332710725488/ MBs Tasty Pastries.
That's the cutest place I've ever seen. I may have to take a road trip from Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 06:16 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,629,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's the cutest place I've ever seen. I may have to take a road trip from Cary.
I have a banana cream pie on order for tomorrow. Can't wait!

Old 05-12-2018, 06:38 AM

342 posts, read 386,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I always get my pies from https://www.facebook.com/MBs-Tasty-P...7332710725488/ MBs Tasty Pastries.
THIS! These are the best key lime pies. You have to know where you are going because it's located behind a little store at the corner of Forestville and Burlington Mills in Wake Forest (near Heritage High School) and they are only open weekends.

If you can't get one from here, then Publix is honestly the next best thing. I'm a huge key lime pie snob and Publix will do in a pinch.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:40 AM

342 posts, read 386,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Everything I have ever had from here is fabulous. The lemon bars are DIVINE. If you want something specific you should order it or go early because she often sells out.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:46 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,249,011 times
I've made a key lime pie from the recipe on the Nellie and Joe's key lime juice you find in the store. Pretty easy to make and yummy.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:46 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,234,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I stopped at the Butchers Market on Falls of Neuse on my way home today to pick up steak tips for a family get together tomorrow (the maple bourbon are to die for!). I had seen the post about the key lime pie and looked at them. They looked fabulous but they were $30!!!! For a pie! Too expensive IMO. I'll stick with Costco. They're also very good and very reasonably priced.
The best key lime pie is at Joe's Stone Crab, Miami Beach. A institution. But ordering pies is way too expensive as they ship on ice overnight. (1) $68.95; (2) $94.95; (3) $109.95.
Joe's Stone Crab

Old 05-13-2018, 10:43 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,400,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
The best key lime pie is at Joe's Stone Crab, Miami Beach. A institution. But ordering pies is way too expensive as they ship on ice overnight. (1) $68.95; (2) $94.95; (3) $109.95.
Joe's Stone Crab
Wow.....I do believe you get what you pay for but this is steep!

Old 05-13-2018, 12:24 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,176,270 times
I bought the key lime pie from Publix. It was okay, but the crust was lacking that rich buttery graham cracker taste. I think I would be better off just making it myself.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:27 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,400,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I bought the key lime pie from Publix. It was okay, but the crust was lacking that rich buttery graham cracker taste. I think I would be better off just making it myself.
I'm still of fan of the Key Lime from Costco. We bought one yesterday for a family party and everyone e enjoyed it. My nephew graduated from NCSU....go Pack!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,421,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nene817 View Post
Anyone know where I can pick up a good key lime pie in Raleigh? It's my mom's favorite so I was thinking of grabbing one tomorrow for Mother's Day. I'd need somewhere I can buy a whole pie, not just a slice.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think you have to make that yourself.
Yeah I'm of the opinion it's easier (and cheaper) to make one yourself in the future. They're stupid simple and take practically no time at all. I've made them for work the night before and it's fine and dandy. Likewise for an Atlantic Beach Pie - they're functionally the same technique although with a different filling (lemon rather than lime) and a different crust (saltines instead of graham crackers). You also don't need to use real key limes - most people can't tell a flavor difference between a key lime and a regular Persian lime and Persian limes are much easier to work with than key limes. This is the recipe I go with (with brand recommendations where possible)

Ingredients

Lime Filling
  • 4 teaspoons grated lime zest
  • 1/2 cup lime juice from 3 to 4 limes (Note - these are regular, Persian limes. If you choose to use actual key limes you'll need about 20)
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (Brand recommendation - Borden Eagle Brand - NOT the fat free version)
Graham Cracker Crust
  • 11 graham crackers, processed to fine crumbs (1 1/4 cups) (Brand recommendation - Keebler Graham Crackers Original, Honey Maid Honey Grahams)
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Whipped Cream Topping
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 lime, sliced paper thin and dipped in sugar (optional)
Instructions
  1. For the Filling: Whisk zest and yolks in medium bowl until tinted light green, about 2 minutes. Beat in milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to thicken
  2. For the Crust: Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix crumbs and sugar in medium bowl. Add butter; stir with fork until well blended. Pour mixture into 9-inch pie pan; press crumbs over bottom and up sides of pan to form even crust. Bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
  3. Pour lime filling into crust; bake until center is set, yet wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return pie to wire rack; cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours. (Can be covered with lightly oiled or oil-sprayed plastic wrap laid directly on filling and refrigerated up to 1 day.)
  4. For the Whipped Cream: Up to 2 hours before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks. Adding confectioners' sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, continue whipping to just-stiff peaks. Decoratively pipe whipped cream over filling or spread evenly with rubber spatula. Garnish with optional sugared lime slices and serve.
Other Tips
  • To make sure the graham crackers form a firm, coherent crust on the bottom of the pie pan, press them down firmly with a cup or glass. Be careful not to cover the pan's lip with crumbs.
  • If the finished pie sticks to the pie pan when you're ready to cut, simply dip the pan into a bowl of warm water to loosen the pie.

And for an Atlantic Beach Lemon Pie

INGREDIENTS

Crust
6 ounces saltines (about 53 saltines (roughly one-and-a-half sleeves)

1/8 teaspoon salt

10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1/4 cup light corn syrup

Filling
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

4 large egg yolks

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest plus 1/2 cup juice (3 lemons)

1/8 teaspoon salt

Topping
1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled

2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

1. FOR THE CRUST: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine saltines and salt in food processor and pulse to coarse crumbs, about 15 pulses. Add melted butter and corn syrup and pulse until crumbs are broken into oatmeal-size pieces, about 15 pulses.

2. Transfer saltine mixture to greased 9-inch pie plate. Using bottom of dry measuring cup, press crumbs into even layer on bottom and sides of plate, using your hand to keep crumbs from spilling over plate edge. Place plate on baking sheet and bake until light golden brown and fragrant, 17 to 19 minutes.

3. FOR THE FILLING: Whisk condensed milk, egg yolks, cream, lemon zest, and salt in bowl until fully combined. Whisk in lemon juice until fully incorporated.

4. With pie plate still on sheet, pour filling into crust (crust needn't be cool). Bake pie until edges are beginning to set but center still jiggles when shaken, 15 to 17 minutes. Place pie on wire rack and let cool completely. Refrigerate pie until fully chilled, about 4 hours.

5. FOR THE TOPPING: Using stand mixer fitted with whisk, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes. Spread whipped cream over top of pie. Serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary