Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:07 PM

149 posts, read 515,420 times

Advertisements

its a very small percentage of parents who scream and stamp their feet regarding reassignments. Most parents are happy with WCPSS and understand that reassignments are part of living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:49 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalzoo View Post
its a very small percentage of parents who scream and stamp their feet regarding reassignments. Most parents are happy with WCPSS and understand that reassignments are part of living here.

I totally agree with you, on this point. But its been this way for YEARS! And yet, people act like it only started after they moved in! Sometimes I have to explain to my clients, over and over again, that the high school that their address is currently assigned to will not be the high school that their 3 year old will go to!!!

Vicki

Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 AM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
Just looking back to years ago when I lived in NJ - I was reassigned and had to go from walking around the corner to 3 miles down the road by bus. It happened after I completed 3rd grade and a lot of the kids in my school went to another school.. we got split up big time.

Its just a point that this can happen ANYWHERE and it will happen in ANY popular growing locations. Its hard to keep up with the growth. People are moving in faster than the schools can be built or expanded.

My area (Wake County Willow Spring) has gone year round and most parents love it. I don't know much about it... we have decided on another option for now and sticking to it but NOT due to the changes in the schools. We have our own personal desires and are meeting them.

I have not heard any bad (other than on this board) about the schools in Wake County. I see a lot of people in my MOPS group and not one has made a complaint about their school system (many are attending WCPSS) . If anything I hear positives. (all ages through high school) So as for the schools, come here with an open mind but if you think you might not be able to accept the changes due to the fact that people like yourselves are moving here quickly, you might or should reconsider where you move to.

As for snakes. I lived in Hunterdon County NJ for 5 yrs. I saw more snakes there than I have in the 2 1/2 yrs I am in NC. AND I am in a rural location and no snakes. Spiders... yes, snakes NO. And the snakes won't kill ya. They are just passing thru.

Linda

Old 03-28-2008, 06:56 AM

92 posts, read 369,394 times
Talking After 18 years, we still love Raleigh!

Quote:
its a very small percentage of parents who scream and stamp their feet regarding reassignments. Most parents are happy with WCPSS ...
I must concur! We have lived here for 18 years and have four children in the WCPSS - and my oldest is graduating this June and is going to UNC with 2200 SATs. The next in line, a HS sophomore this year, has had such a "poor" education he hopes to go to the NC School of Science and Math in the Fall. Between the three oldest, all in HS, they had one "B" between them and the rest "A"s. My youngest just got reassigned to a brand new year round elementary school, and I couldn't be happier! I spent 10 years growing up on YR schools and I loved it. The principal at his current school is transferring to the new school as are several of the teachers. As is true in everything in life, complainers are going to complain and you shouldn't let a few rotten apples spoil your cider. One thing I have noticed however, alot of the screamers and stampers hail from new areas in Cary.

Regarding the snakes, in my entire 18 years here in the Raleigh area, I have seen no more than three snakes - and one of them was at Umstead State Park. But what's the big deal with snakes? I think that most educated people consider them to be a valuable part of our ecosystem - they help regulate the rodent population. I've always believed that if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Wasn't it their land first after all?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Quote:
I also believe that parents who scream and stamp their feet are not necessarily doing what is best for their kids.

I'm NOT suggesting that reassignment isn't a huge hassle for some, particularly families where some children are year round while others are traditional. I AM suggesting that how the parents handle such things can easily have as much negative effect on the kids as the reassignments themselves.

If you let your kid see you flip out over something that you end up not able to change to fit your desires, remember well that the child could possibly take on the attitude that they are being cheated and that mommy and daddy weren't able to fix it. That's a bad thing.

Kids take everything they are told literally. How do they know that year round schools aren't the greatest thing ever? Because their parents said so-the same parents that told them about Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM

90 posts, read 296,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I think that is unusual, especially the traditional options being less than a mile away. I am glad that it worked out that way for you, though.

I agree that the teachers here are great. We have had no problems whatsoever with the teachers or principals/staff. They have all been great. Its the administration and the policies that I have an issue with.

Research, research, and research some more. Get info from WCPSS but do not stop there. Really ask questions about the policies and how they are applied.

Your children will not receive an awful education in Wake County, but like I said earlier in this thread it does not live up to the hype.
I think it may be unusual as well - and I think our individual principal and our individual town government being so vocal probably had a lot to do with it.

However, next year is a different story - and we live with uncertainty. Holly Springs has seen several reassignments that are honestly incredible - in a bad way. Luckily, it just hasn't effected us.

Like I said earlier - I'm all for changing the school board, though. Those decisions -

And yeah - saying that a WCPSS education is fantastic - on a national level? Huh?

I think it requires the parents really working with what they've got. Not easy when you are a working parent, but I don't think we'd be as satisfied if my husband and I weren't both on the PTA board (even with a toddler and jobs.) We're lucky we can do that.

I just wish we didn't feel like we needed to be that involved, ya know?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post
With all the talk of WCPSS reassignments and snakes, the "outsiders" are feeling like you want us to stay that way!

SERIOUSLY, does anyone have any positive stories about the Wake Schools? Can you put your children in a school with any security?
Oh no! There is no scaring here. Holy Factoid! WCPSS is crowed and growing. New schools are being built to meet the demand but that takes time. New schools take children to be truly called schools and those children have to come from the communities the schools are built in give or take a few neighborhood surrounding the area the schools were built in. I'm 100% sure there are WORSE school systems as I am equally sure there are better. If your moving here solely for the educational quality of your children you will want to research ALL your options within WCPSS and private schools. But that goes for anywhere in the country you may want to relocate too.

As far as snakes are concerned I can talk of that subject from a 'far away as possible' amount of knowledge. Yes there are snakes here and there and mostly over there. But I lived in the north east and they had snakes too. I don't know what the statistics are but I think its one of those where your more opt at getting in a car accident going to work than getting bite by a snake or two even. I am also sure that if you look for snakes you will find them or they will find you, either way it will be an encounter!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodee View Post
But what's the big deal with snakes? I think that most educated people consider them to be a valuable part of our ecosystem - they help regulate the rodent population. I've always believed that if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Wasn't it their land first after all?
Yeah, I guess the snakes are the ones who REALLY should be ticked at all the growth. We're chopping down trees and taking their habitat away and paving over farms where their mice dinner use to live. All along they have smaller homes and have to work harder to feed their kids. Man, I feel a snake rebellion coming. I think I'm going to put some sulfur out in my yard right now.

EDIT: this should be in no way construed as discouragement from moving here. The Triangle is a fine, fine area, unless you are a snake.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:01 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Default You think THAT's s-c-a-r-y?

Did anyone think to mention the extraterrestrials that land here from time to time?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Did anyone think to mention the extraterrestrials that land here from time to time?

The ones from the North East or the ones from CA?

(joking of course!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary