Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 03:59 PM

406 posts, read 623,925 times

Advertisements

Just watched a bunch of footage from the 11 foot 8 “can opener” bridge of all the trucks unable to clear the underpass. I have read comments from people stating that there are in fact warning signs, but people continually use poor judgement.

My solution is to build a template archway in either direction leading up to the bridge. If your truck is unable pass through the template, then you must turn around. The cost and effort of all the clean-up is unnecessary.

In fact, there may be an accident one of these days where somebody, perhaps another motorist, gets hurt by debris crashing through their windshield or the collateral effects of the collision. That may be grounds for a lawsuit. Either Durham, NC or an entrepreneurially minded person created a website where they can sell advertising space using public surveillance cameras as site’s feature and there are plenty of online videos using the same source. One significant lawsuit is going to make civic leaders sorry they didn’t take real steps to curb these accidents, especially when the plaintiff’s lawyer uses the footage as an example of what a well-known accident-prone location the underpass sat in. It seems more entertainment was created than real steps to prevent future collisions. Going further than posting signs is the right thing to do.

There’s a cliché that says something bad has to happen before appropriate steps are taken to prevent future calamities (usually in the context of when the safety procedures are up to a big corporation or government entity). I think that is the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 04:31 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
That already exists. People no longer hit the bridge, they are actually hitting something before the bridge. Saves on street and RR closures.

If you're talking about something that would not cause a crash, they've tried that in other places, usually using chains that will hit the top of the truck and make the driver think Hmmmm....wonder why they did that?! But people still go through it.

In the case of this bridge, there are sensors that cause a stoplight to turn red for over height trucks, so the driver can sit and look at all the signs and flashing lights and bail out. But as we see, it does not always happen.

And of course people are making claims for damages, as well they should. Proceeding through all the warnings is negligent, just as a truck dropping debris that damages your car is negligent (despite their "keep back 200 feet" signs).

Old 05-14-2018, 04:32 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
I don't understand how the "template archway" works. Can you explain?

Old 05-14-2018, 04:53 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That already exists. People no longer hit the bridge, they are actually hitting something before the bridge. Saves on street and RR closures.

If you're talking about something that would not cause a crash, they've tried that in other places, usually using chains that will hit the top of the truck and make the driver think Hmmmm....wonder why they did that?! But people still go through it.

In the case of this bridge, there are sensors that cause a stoplight to turn red for over height trucks, so the driver can sit and look at all the signs and flashing lights and bail out. But as we see, it does not always happen.

And of course people are making claims for damages, as well they should. Proceeding through all the warnings is negligent, just as a truck dropping debris that damages your car is negligent (despite their "keep back 200 feet" signs).

This. Plus the videos are very amusing to watch.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:57 PM

715 posts, read 1,039,615 times
Default At least two can openers in Durham have "template archways" already

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
Just watched a bunch of footage from the 11 foot 8 “can opener” bridge of all the trucks unable to clear the underpass. I have read comments from people stating that there are in fact warning signs, but people continually use poor judgement.

My solution is to build a template archway in either direction leading up to the bridge. If your truck is unable pass through the template, then you must turn around. The cost and effort of all the clean-up is unnecessary.

In fact, there may be an accident one of these days where somebody, perhaps another motorist, gets hurt by debris crashing through their windshield or the collateral effects of the collision. That may be grounds for a lawsuit. Either Durham, NC or an entrepreneurially minded person created a website where they can sell advertising space using public surveillance cameras as site’s feature and there are plenty of online videos using the same source. One significant lawsuit is going to make civic leaders sorry they didn’t take real steps to curb these accidents, especially when the plaintiff’s lawyer uses the footage as an example of what a well-known accident-prone location the underpass sat in. It seems more entertainment was created than real steps to prevent future collisions. Going further than posting signs is the right thing to do.

There’s a cliché that says something bad has to happen before appropriate steps are taken to prevent future calamities (usually in the context of when the safety procedures are up to a big corporation or government entity). I think that is the case here.

At least two Durham RR bridges have super heavy I beam steel lateral beams (the I's look to be at least 18 inches tall) set up at the max clearance height just before the bridges. It's a template that would cold stop the vehicle if they Don't turn around. steel I beam pillars holding them up on the sides plus they have two angled 'stands' that go down to the ground behind the pillars to resist the forward momentum of a truck knocking the lateral clearance I beam forward toward the bridge.

The two I've seen are at the Rr bridge over Gregson just south of Main St next to bright leaf square. And another one just south of W Main St, where 9th street turns into Erwin - just southwest of Duke's east campus. These things look like they wouldn't budge if hit by a box truck at the posted speed limit. There might be another one south of the old courthouse by the bridge passing over Roxboro, by Ramseur. Maybe more for all I know.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Apparently they have done something to reduce the amount of collisions with the bridge. In addition to having something that simulates the passage clearance or a template, a live person might be necessary to communicate with the driver while at the red light that their vehicle is too high. Not sure how all this could be coordinated without knowing the vicinity or familiar with the arteries that are near the bridge.

The most recent post to the website has a truck carrying "secret military equipment" (not sure how anybody would know that) as recent as March 2018.

With all the safety warnings in place, do people still win damages?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I don't understand how the "template archway" works. Can you explain?
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
At least two Durham RR bridges have super heavy I beam steel lateral beams (the I's look to be at least 18 inches tall) set up at the max clearance height just before the bridges. It's a template that would cold stop the vehicle if they Don't turn around. steel I beam pillars holding them up on the sides plus they have two angled 'stands' that go down to the ground behind the pillars to resist the forward momentum of a truck knocking the lateral clearance I beam forward toward the bridge.

The two I've seen are at the Rr bridge over Gregson just south of Main St next to bright leaf square. And another one just south of W Main St, where 9th street turns into Erwin - just southwest of Duke's east campus. These things look like they wouldn't budge if hit by a box truck at the posted speed limit. There might be another one south of the old courthouse by the bridge passing over Roxboro, by Ramseur. Maybe more for all I know.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:19 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:

With all the safety warnings in place, do people still win damages?
Dude, what would be the defense to driving into the bridge (or the beam before it)? Of course, if someone runs into the bridge and the debris rains down on you, you're going to collect from them. Why wouldn't you? I'm not talking about just injuries.....there are plenty of innocent cars damaged by those trucks.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
This:
So, they already exist. Most, if aot all, of these bridges are railroad bridges, so its the railroad's decision whether to install them or not.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Dude, what would be the defense to driving into the bridge (or the beam before it)? Of course, if someone runs into the bridge and the debris rains down on you, you're going to collect from them. Why wouldn't you? I'm not talking about just injuries.....there are plenty of innocent cars damaged by those trucks.
So there are claims against the drivers, not the municipality. In my OP, I meant that if somebody is severely injured or dies, their lawyer will probably go after the town making a seemingly expensive option to prevent the accidents seem cost effective by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary