Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:50 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times

Advertisements

Add me to the ‘It’s nice to visit, but would never live there’ camp. California is too expensive, overcrowded, and stressful for me to live.

Florida and Hawaii are pretty much in the same boat for me although Florida is less expensive than the other two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 08:27 PM

67 posts, read 80,378 times
Just go back to complaining about people from NY, NJ, and FL while we continue to invade your special piece of southern oasis. Actually, I’m surprised there aren’t more Californians here considering how liberal Raleigh is. Austin TX is filling up fast so your turn is coming soon.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
The triangle version in my best California southern accent:

I took Six forks to the beltline south from North Hills, crossed under I40 and then got on the 1, stayed on it for 7 miles than hooked a louie onto 55 south headed straight into Fuquay Varina.
NC native and I spent 5 years in SoCal in the 90's.

Almost perfect, but I don't think NC'ers say "the" 1 (US1)". I would think they'd just say "got on 1" or say "US1"

Also locals that have dealings with the town usually refer to it just "Fuquay, and seldom do you anyone speak the word "Varina".

Any they just go "to the beach", not distinguishing which unless fishing then they're "going to Hatteras"

Old 05-20-2018, 06:56 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
So, are these folks gonna vote the same way like they did in Cali, ya know the policies/politicians that made the state so expensive to begin with?
People from the NE are doing it here, so there's no reason Californians wont do the same thing. You leave your home state then you should leave the things you hated about it behind. It doesn't work there and it wont work here.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:02 PM

12 posts, read 11,379 times
A friend of mine moved from the triangle to northern CA for a few years, and worked for Facebook. Recently returned and lives in Apex. Said he could no longer stand working for a company that creates "promiscuity profiles" of their users, who knows what they will do with the data. Other than that and the cost of housing he liked it there.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Is anyone else noticing a serious uptick of people from California on the scene the past two years?
Actually...not at all. I haven't met one person from CA.

But this is a timely thread because just yesterday I was driving and said "Seems to be a lot of Texas license plates in the area"...which I found random.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Actually...not at all. I haven't met one person from CA.

But this is a timely thread because just yesterday I was driving and said "Seems to be a lot of Texas license plates in the area"...which I found random.

Im from California! Nice to meet ya!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Im from California! Nice to meet ya!
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2018, 12:07 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
So, are these folks gonna vote the same way like they did in Cali, ya know the policies/politicians that made the state so expensive to begin with?
I sure hope so. We need to get rid of people who support stupid legislation like the "bathroom law." The main reason why CA is so expensive is that its economy has been booming since the Jerry Brown and the Dems took over from Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Reps. They went from having a $15B budget deficit to a $6B surplus.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:13 PM

23 posts, read 19,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
'California is the last state in the union I would move to lol" As a former Californian, I'm curious about your bias about the state of California. Not picking on you, but why would it be last on your list of potential states to move to ? Is it due to personal experience, or something you've heard/read/learned about the state ?
I left over 40 years ago, and would never consider returning, but my dislike is based on personal experience.

Regards
Gemstone1

It's a pretty high consensus between a lot of people here in California in my opinion. I'm still here, but plan on moving within the next year. I know a lot of people that are dying to move. They just don't know where they want to move. Just to give an idea, the most complained about thing here is the housing, population, and traffic. If you talk to anyone from here they'll complain about one of those three things. Again, that's the majority of what I hear. There's numerous other factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary