Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,614 times

Advertisements

No, not on Capital. The section of homes on the west side of Falls of the Neuse. By the horse barn. Some of those houses are pretty far north and I think they fall in Wake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I know somebody in Virginia who lives on a road called "Four Wheel Drive".

Some people just like using catchy names.

There are lots of catchy names out there. There was a top 10 list that was released last year. The top one was "Psycho Path."

I personally saw a community that was near Marietta, GA where all the streets were named "Noah..." My personal favorite was "Noah Way."

Old 04-01-2008, 01:11 PM

45 posts, read 120,958 times
Most of Wakefield Plantation have a Raleigh address and the Wakefield estates (across the street where the barn Gregory Poole used to own) has a Wake Forest address.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,586 times
I was born at Wakefield in 1959 when my grandfather owned it.......it is so hard to drive past it now and see all those people playing golf and hitting the barn with golf balls.......my mother always told me that the house was haunted or as she said " there was a haint that lived there". Many years after we moved away and it fell into dis-repair I went into the house and up to the attic......the whole time I was there I felt like I was being watched...........my mother said that there was a cold spot in the house that was not always in the same place.......we moved away in 1963 or 64 but I always came back to fish or hunt till it was sold to N. Hills.....

Old 11-03-2008, 07:20 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,088 times
NEWSFLASH: Neighborhoods and subdivisions are often given fancy-sounding names by developers to increase the appeal while not necessarily having anything to do with the history or geography of the area.

See also: Bay Ridge in Durham. There's no bay, there's no ridge. Can residents sue for false advertising?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,240,116 times
Lead Mine Road used to have a REAL mine.

Is there a point to this thread?!! (wink wink)

Vicki

Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,036 times
How do you know newcomers' voices are rich with some amazing history? I just think it's a nice neighborhood.

Who gives a Baby Ruth about what the land was formerly used for?

It would make no difference to me whether my house was built on the site of an old McDonald's or the Fountain of Youth.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Um, who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
The Greg Poole family owned the 5000 acres or so before they sold to Dr. Goodnights lackeys. Do any on this board know who the Poole family is? Can you name the Poe's, the Williams, the Broughton's, the Finley's, the Eure's, the Winston's, the York's,

Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM

79 posts, read 226,947 times
Wakefield plantation was a working plantation, where the horse stable is now was the main living area of the plantation. The Family that now owns the barn has many of the old pictures of the plantation it's some interesting history

Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina chick View Post
What's more is that there was already a Wakefield area around Zebulon. It was more of a "crossroads" type thing, but I thought it odd that another area would call themselves Wakefield when one already existed down the street, so to speak.
A little background on the Wakefields community near Zebulon: That land was given as a grant to Peter G. Foster of Mathews Co. Virginia for his services in the Revolutionary War. Where the Fosters built it into a large plantation. Augustus John Foster, Peter's Grandson, was responsible for much of the growth. The Fosters would later relocate to the Ingleside area of Franklin County. Peter G. Foster is my g-g-g-g-grandfather.

Bill Harris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary