Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 03:02 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times

Advertisements

I think soft blues or grey/blues are the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 03:09 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Can't do grey myself, but I am neither in the market to buy or sell so not sure my opinion holds any water. Way too depressing for me.
I painted my office Agreeable Gray, and was ready to hate it. I love the walls, because I have large photos on the wall, and they pop!

I see color photos, and hardly see the walls. The gray becomes a background to color.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:41 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
buttery yellow timestamps you to 2008 or earlier.
kilim beige to 2010-2015
revere pewter is a nice color, but agreeable grey is the #1 star currently.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I painted my office Agreeable Gray, and was ready to hate it. I love the walls, because I have large photos on the wall, and they pop!

I see color photos, and hardly see the walls. The gray becomes a background to color.
That's what my wife said. I was complaining about the lack of color, she said you add the accent colors and use the walls as a base/backdrop.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:19 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
I just realized that Kilim Beige was the exact color of my house when I moved in. Every single room unless it had wallpaper.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:30 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Thank you for all the feedback. This is cracking me up. Agreeable Gray and Versatile Gray!

Why not Pretty Gray? Stimulating Gray? Dazzling Gray? Is Gray none of those things? I think it can be pretty, I really do. I just think the tyranny of the fashion is interesting.

Funny thing...when I bought my house the bedrooms had been painted...white, maybe? I don't remember. In the closet of the small bedroom I found the walls painted a beautiful shade of green. A green I loved. I would have much preferred that color.

I would never in a bajillion years wear brown shoes with gray slacks. or Black or gray shoes with brown pants. Never. I would literally feel awkward and uncomfortable. Since my floors are wood and my furniture is wood, I have an issue with gray walls not 'matching'. Also, I'm a 'Summer' and i never wear black or gray next to my face. They are not flattering to me so I think the walls would be unflattering also!

Y'all must think I"m totally crazy. When I was married and we bought our first house, my husband wanted everything to be done in the most 'saleable' fashion. He wanted beige walls and carpet because that is what buyers wanted. I figured if I was going to live in the house for several years before I sold it, my opinion was more important than that of the future buyers. We argued about that every time we made a decorating decision and I almost always won. Yet we doubled the value of that home. I think that is why I have such a bee in my bonnet about this.

Shhhhh...don't tell anyone, but the walls in my bedroom are the palest purple. You can only tell in certain lights. No one has ever said anything. If anyone asks me, I'll tell them it is light gray.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I have bold bright colors all over my house. I love it, but I don't care about trends and I'm not putting on the market anytime soon. Just googled "agreeable gray". It does not agree with my sensibilities.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Why not Pretty Gray? Stimulating Gray? Dazzling Gray? Is Gray none of those things? I think it can be pretty, I really do. I just think the tyranny of the fashion is interesting....
Some years ago, I needed a gallon of antique white paint. This is a standard pre-mixed color. As I lifted it from the shelf, I noticed a nearby can labeled China Silk. What is that? Green perhaps? Red?

As the salesman rang up my purchase, I inquired. He started laughing. This was the funniest thing he'd been asked all day.

He told me that that paint color had just been renamed. He knew it was the same color because the paint identifier number was the same, only the name had changed. Another guffaw.

As "beige" it had sat on the shelf gathering dust but as the renamed China Silk, he couldn't keep it in stock!

Old 05-24-2018, 08:04 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just found this link. I found it interesting that "Kilm Beige" is almost exactly the color of all my walls in my home.

https://www.expresshomebuyers.com/pa...my-house-fast/
kilm beige is what the contractors used prior to the gray mania that is going on now. Personally I also hate gray,

Old 05-24-2018, 08:39 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
If you DO decide to do a yellow (and it can make a room look cheerful), I like Benjamin Moore Ylang-Ylang. It's a soft yellow, not too bright, looks creamy in certain light. Creamy colors are tricky because some of them look drab and almost khaki in certain light. Get some samples and try them out at different times of day.

That said, gray seems to be THE color right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary