Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times

Advertisements

You should really check out the new Street View functionality at Google Maps. They haven't mapped out every street yet, but sure do have a lot of them. It is an incredible feature. You can map out the entire route, and then do street view of whatever sections concern you and simulate driving the street.

I for one am more than happy not to have all the light pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
It doesn't matter if the highway is in the city limits. If it's a state highway the state has the responsibility unless they have an interlocal agreement with the municipality that states that the muni will maintain and provide lighting. Only one city in NC has a agreement with NCDOT to maintain (not provide lighting) on NCDOT roads in that city. That city is Durham and even in that case the State reimburses Durham for the repairs and whatever else may have been done to the road.

If it's a federal highway the feds have responsibility. I don't think that any of the highways mentioned are operated and maintained by an local municipality. Second, while highways in most states may not have lighting along the complete stretch of the highway, in and around major cities those highway will most likely have lighting.

I think the reason you don't see it in NC is simply it is a money issue, meaning the State does not want to pay Duke Energy for the electricity that those lights would require. Which is a shame in my opinion. When you're on those roads you still feel like you're in the country because of this issue.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:53 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
I've been here nearly 20 years and I'm still not used to the unlit highways, not to mention many of the dimly lit city streets, including in my neighborhood. We did luck out and get a streetlight at the end of our driveway recently when our sub-division did a neighborhood crime prevention inventory and decided some streets needed better lighting.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
So, if any of you see me struggling someonestruggling find their way on a poorly lit highway in the near future, be patient, that'll probably be me! Two weeks from Tuesday. Thanks for all the feedback. Look out!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
"One thing for retirees to consider especially about 540.

The interstates are almost 100% unlighted. If your night vision is not the greatest any more, you will find night interstate travel here terrifying to say the least. Even the link on 40 to RDU has no streetlights except in the airport itself."

Saturnfan mentioned this in a previous post. He is absolutely correct. DH and I were very surprised at how dark 540 was while driving at night. We thought it might be that the highway was new and that lights would eventually be installed. Is this the case or will it remain dark? One reason I'm asking is that my dad may decide to live with us at some point. He is 82, very spry and independent. He does have glaucoma and I am concerned the dark roads may be prohibitive for him; otherwise his vision is fine.
I think it is more because there are a lot of giant houses and rich people along areas of 540. All that light wouldn't be good for their home values.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM

115 posts, read 464,218 times
It's not really the lack of lights that bother me...that's what headlights are for. But I do wish they would use white reflective paint when painting the lanes. It can be so difficult to see where the lanes are, especially if it's raining.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:31 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbgirl View Post
It's not really the lack of lights that bother me...that's what headlights are for. But I do wish they would use white reflective paint when painting the lanes. It can be so difficult to see where the lanes are, especially if it's raining.
Here, here. The overhead lighting hasn't really been an issue for me, but I understand the need. However, having reflective paint and reflectors on the road would help achieve a greater degree of safety alone since the headlights, at night or raining, would pick them up well. Obviously from Los Angeles, we have loads of well marked reflective features. My first rain here at night, I was not surprised to see the number of vehicles not within their lane. It was like a free for all. And incredibly dangerous. At the very least, reflective features must be increased and improved, imo.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:44 PM

3,306 posts, read 8,559,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Here, here. The overhead lighting hasn't really been an issue for me, but I understand the need. However, having reflective paint and reflectors on the road would help achieve a greater degree of safety alone since the headlights, at night or raining, would pick them up well. Obviously from Los Angeles, we have loads of well marked reflective features. My first rain here at night, I was not surprised to see the number of vehicles not within their lane. It was like a free for all. And incredibly dangerous. At the very least, reflective features must be increased and improved, imo.
The weird thing about LA and I've driven there only once so maybe this isn't the case everywhere there, but the lanes on I-5 and I-10 were marked only with retroflective material and where not painted. It was so hard for me to see the lanes when it was really sunny. I'm sure during the rain they showed up really well though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary