Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 10:13 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,684,625 times

Advertisements

Forget the job fist silliness. Live where you want and make it work.

Of these, Raleigh may be the best choice career wise. Charlotte would have more “big city” energy.

They are all good choices, IMO. Welcome to the East Coast. You’re gonna love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 8,183 times
Thanks for informing me of the type of industries popular in the area. I have been browsing jobs randomly in those areas to figure it out.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:54 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
First the job ...
I never understand this thinking. I could get a job in any of those three places. Jobs are everywhere. I like Raleigh, NC.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 8,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Forget the job fist silliness. Live where you want and make it work.

Of these, Raleigh may be the best choice career wise. Charlotte would have more “big city” energy.

They are all good choices, IMO. Welcome to the East Coast. You’re gonna love it.

I really have been conflicted with finding a job first before leaving. I made the decision to just do it as I may not be as bold later to do something risky. Of course I will seek jobs before leaving (hopefully I can land one), but it will not dictate when I will leave. I am leaving by November and I am sticking to it. Thank you! I am really excited to be moving from the mid-west to experience something new.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:45 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,962 times
My wife is a woman of color (raised in the US in a Jamaican family with strict Christian values and a powerful work ethic - strong emphasis on education.) I am Irish-German (or so I think,) and have values congruent with hers, although our backgrounds are quite different. We moved to Raleigh in October 2017 from Syracuse NY. We love our hometown, but it has a struggling economy and long, dark cold winters. For many reasons, we chose NC as the logical destination. We both visited Charlotte numerous times and found it to be oddly lacking in what we think of as "character" (varied and hilly terrain, a mix of older and newer buildings and neighborhoods, sense of history, etc.) Charlotte also has lots of sprawl and a growing traffic problem. We rented in Raleigh but will soon move into our first house here. Durham was on our list, but we researched the city, toured neighborhoods extensively, and found it to have much of the openly visible poverty that exists in Syracuse, with fewer large areas that we found amenable. In its defense - Durham is more racially diverse. Raleigh has a much smaller black population, with the majority of more affluent black folks (i.e. usually professionals) living in suburban areas like Brier Creek, or segregated into an increasingly small area to the southeast of the city center. Overall, we love it here. Traffic is an issue only in morning and afternoon rush on 440 and 540, but there are plenty of alternate routes on local streets. She is 43 and I am 62; both her sons and my daughter are adults. Our perspective may not be helpful for a person in your situation, but keep in mind - affordable high quality rental apartments in good areas are abundant, with more being built every day. I would start in Raleigh but spend time in Durham and Chapel Hill checking out the cultural and social scene. You'll figure it out quickly enough.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:48 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
Raleigh is: what Country Club you belong to.
Charlotte: what Church you go to.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:46 AM

61 posts, read 51,373 times
Durham.

You mention a wish for diversity and Durham is definitely the most diverse of the three cities you mentioned, and specifically black people if that is what you are politely trying to ask. Nothing wrong with wanting to be in a place where your culture is represented

Durham county is a large county with one city "Durham" and two small towns. That means there's a huge area called "Durham" that isn't in the city proper. No big deal - but keep that in mind when looking at housing and jobs. With such a huge area covered - as you can imagine that includes bad and good neighborhoods - so be sure to check crime maps for the areas you look at.

There is even a small part of Durham county that has Morrisville addreses - even though Morrisville is technically in Wake county. That area where Durham hits wake is on fire with development - as western Wake county is about out of room. Since that is happening- development is spilling into Durham county there and is a fast-growing spot.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:48 AM

56 posts, read 37,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Job first, then find a place to live. Though Raleigh and Durham are next to one another, you really don't want to commute between the two.
Is it a bad commute or distance?
Google Maps shows 30 mins from Durham to Raleigh.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:25 AM

1,228 posts, read 797,653 times
In typical rush hour conditions, a Downtown to Downtown would take about an hour based on my experience. If there is a wreck on I-40 or N.C.-147 then longer, as they are huge bottlenecks with few alternate routes. When it rains, there are always wrecks here. US-70 has lots of lights and congestion, so it takes similar times. Times will only get worse with growth. On a nice Sunday afternoon, 30 min. is reasonable... I was stuck on I-40 during a major “icing event” over a decade ago. That time it took me almost 12 hrs. I still have nightmares. In distance, it’s like driving from the Loop in Chicago out to Highland Park on 90/94.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 PM

80 posts, read 53,304 times
I laugh about the Bible Belt comments for Charlotte because I live in Charlotte and I know hardly anyone who goes to church regularly. I only go occasionally so maybe that's the problem lol. I have the impression of Raleigh as being more religious. I wonder if UNC-Charlotte has the program you are interested in? UNC-Charlotte may be a lot more accessible to you than the major universities near Durham/Raleigh (Duke, NCSU, UNC-Ch). My spouse got 3 degrees from NCSU (BS, BS, MS), and 1 from UNCC (MBA). I only hear great things about UNC-Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary