Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 03:05 PM

33 posts, read 48,309 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I was recently accepted into the unc school of dentistry to become a patient there. Just wondering if anyone else has done this before? My name was drawn for their monthly lottery and I didn’t know what to expect. I am hoping to get a crown put on there. I know it’s done by students. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:24 PM

58 posts, read 40,937 times
Hi. I have been a patient there for years.

Overall, I think it is worth it. You will save money and you will get good service (at least I have). The main thing to know is that you are at a school and they operate much slower than a regular dentist. I have had 3 visits to have a crown completed. It just takes a long time. They normally work in 3 hour blocks and most of the time I am there at least 2 and 1/2 hours.

You should be assigned a student dentist. There is always a professor there and the students don't do much of anything without the professor giving their OK.

I had a job where it was pretty easy to get off but if time is an issue for you, you might want to consider another alternative.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentsammy View Post
Hi. I have been a patient there for years.

Overall, I think it is worth it. You will save money and you will get good service (at least I have). The main thing to know is that you are at a school and they operate much slower than a regular dentist. I have had 3 visits to have a crown completed. It just takes a long time. They normally work in 3 hour blocks and most of the time I am there at least 2 and 1/2 hours.

You should be assigned a student dentist. There is always a professor there and the students don't do much of anything without the professor giving their OK.

I had a job where it was pretty easy to get off but if time is an issue for you, you might want to consider another alternative.
Ok thanks! I am a stay at home mom so it shouldn’t be an issue being able to go. I just need a crown placed so nothing too major. I heard it was so much cheaper there vs a dentist office since it is students doing the work.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:07 AM

385 posts, read 346,806 times
I took a friend there for a root canal. It took 3 visits and cost $250. I had a root canal a few years back at a regular dentist and my insurance copay was $1000! It may have been worth it though as root canal only took one visit.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:26 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,234,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcrasher View Post
I took a friend there for a root canal. It took 3 visits and cost $250. I had a root canal a few years back at a regular dentist and my insurance copay was $1000! It may have been worth it though as root canal only took one visit.
I should have studied to be a dentist. $1000 copay for root canal? What was total cost?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:20 AM

569 posts, read 438,291 times
Both me and my stepdaughter had braces at UNC. Excellent care and cost. It is a hassle to take off work and go out there all the time but worth it for the great results!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:57 AM

Ok thanks all! My first step is to get a cleaning and go from there. I hope they will continue to see me. I don’t mind the visits, we don’t have dental insurance so this will save lots of money! Anyone know about the pediatric dentistry at unc? About the same I’m assuming?

Old 05-30-2018, 12:30 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
I should have studied to be a dentist. $1000 copay for root canal? What was total cost?
I had a root canal with post buildup and temp filling done within the last year and my copay was only 200 bucks.

I think it really depends on the insurance. This was with an endodontist, not a dentist.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:31 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi4484 View Post
Ok thanks all! My first step is to get a cleaning and go from there. I hope they will continue to see me. I don’t mind the visits, we don’t have dental insurance so this will save lots of money! Anyone know about the pediatric dentistry at unc? About the same I’m assuming?
Not sure about pediatric, but my nephew got braces there in high school and he had a very positive experience. My brother and his wife had regular health insurance, but no dental with orthodontic option, so this really saved them a bundle.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:40 PM

569 posts, read 438,291 times
My husband needed some major dental work this year and we were able to save a ton by doubling up on dental insurance since each of our employers offer it from different providers and they allow coordination of benefits. I think his covers 50% for major restorative and mine covers 80%. Had to pay more monthly premium but it has definitely been worth it for the savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary