Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 01:16 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times

Advertisements

Garner has Cabelas. That gets me to Garner a few times a year.

I personally know a couple local families who've relocated to Garner in order to buy a brand new house, when priced out of other parts of the Triangle. I think I'd rather live in Garner than Holly Springs, but I'm obviously not in the majority with that opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
My wild guess is that Garner and it's ruling political upper crust do not care about taking the developers money in exchange for the changes it would bring to their town.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:32 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't remember the details about it, but several years ago there was a serious narrative about the possibility of Garner being absorbed by Raleigh due to its inability to manage its city services properly. Does anyone remember that being discussed? Frankly, I don't think that's a bad idea. It's obvious by the replies to this thread that the town has an image problem, and inability to adequately manage itself as a town can't possibly be good for encouraging development, municipal improvements, etc.
When I drive US401/US70 business from downtown Raleigh and through Garner, I am always struck by how different it feels from the rest of the county. It's underdeveloped (not undeveloped), more sprawled, and feels stuck in the 1970s.
I vaguely remember that ... I thought it was mostly dealing with water & sewer . If anyone finds an article , please post .

Old 06-05-2018, 07:12 PM

735 posts, read 1,583,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's like if Brentwood was an entire city.
That’s it! That is exactly what Garner feels like.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
That dumb move by the General Assembly only added to the delay.
Did not the Garner mayor etal ask them to do this?

and as soon as they did, it basically meant/said "if this is where you insist on putting it, we don't want 540" thus effecttively killing that route anyway?

I mean, any sensible party would look at that route and immediately ignore it. But the USGovt wouldn't, for whatever reason.

And now, after all these years, we've still got lawyers that are paid by the year and not by successfully achieving results that are suing the route that all the human stakeholders had agreed on for decades.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:39 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Garner has Cabelas. That gets me to Garner a few times a year.
Garner has Agri Supply. That got me to Garner as often as I could get there. I dropped by last time I went to Raleigh.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Can tell many of you don't get this way much. People are particularly unfair when comparing Garner to other towns. People look at the JoCo side of Garner and compare it only to the shiny side of Cary and say "Seee ...It sucks! ...It's not Preston!". Yeah...ok.

No notable dining experience? Angie's. Rated top 10 restaurant multiple years by many local rags like the N&O and Independent. But with downtown Raleigh only fifteen minutes away does it matter?
No notable festivals? July 3rd Celebration has seen attendance numbers of 40,000 people and includes the NC symphony. But with downtown Raleigh only fifteen minutes away does it matter?
No notable Parks? Lake Benson and White Deer Park. An excellent war memorial located there as well. I highly recommend visiting it. Award winning. But with downtown Raleigh only fifteen minutes away does it matter?

That's the point and a great part of Garner people don't realize. ALL of the amenities of Raleigh are right here and yet pay considerably less for the real estate. Best secret in the county. To get to Bond park from any where in Cary will be more then 15 minutes. LOL

The merging of Garner to Raleigh was about water and sewer only. Had nothing to do with local mismanagement. Raleigh has long sought new supplies for its water-sharing alliance, which includes the towns Wake Forest, Rolesville, Knightdale, Wendell and Zebulon. ...Is Wake Forest mismanaged? In fact, a couple of years ago Raleigh was looking to expand into water supplies in Johnson county and maybe as far as Wayne county. So no... it's not an example of a mismanaged city.

As I drive down Timber in Garner it looks identical to Maynard in Cary. Multi-storied vinyl sided cookie cutter houses with an HOA. No idea what makes one better then the other.

Back to answering the OP's original post - Nothing impacted Garners growth more then that 540 red route expansion fiasco. It impacted amenities coming, restaurants, real estate agents from recommending the area, housing growth, ...it halted everything. Thankfully we are past that and are now looking at 2386 new home construction taking place in Garner right now.

Garner in my opinion is an awesome little secret. It offers anything the rest of the county has and proximity to Raleigh has a lot to do with that. And if Amazon does move to the Centennial Campus area or DT Raleigh, that secret will be over.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:44 AM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post

That's the point and a great part of Garner people don't realize. ALL of the amenities of Raleigh are right here and yet pay considerably less for the real estate. Best secret in the county. To get to Bond park from any where in Cary will be more then 15 minutes. LOL

As I drive down Timber in Garner it looks identical to Maynard in Cary. Multi-storied vinyl sided cookie cutter houses with an HOA. No idea what makes one better then the other.
I'm not familiar with Timber Drive, but I'm curious and will drive that way some Saturday to experience more of Garner. But Maynard in Cary is mostly older development, lots of brick, no HOAs. That's the part of Cary I love, and it's also close to Bond Park.

If Garner is like old Cary, I'd love that.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,056 times
The section of Garner within the boundaries of Timber (maybe even using Lake Benson as the southern border) , Vandora Springs, 70, and either Aversboro Rd or 50 has several neighborhood that remind me of Old Cary - 60s-80s housing stock, brick, split levels, some larger lots, etc. My inlaws live within that boundary and their house would easily be $100,000 more in Cary than where it is, but while the "culture" may be more "NC native" than "transplant", they are not lacking for conveniences at all, younger families are starting to move in and fix up houses as long-time owners move on. I love their proximity to downtown Raleigh. I also like Lake Benson and White Deer Park. I had a perspective change in the last few years, and think I would choose their neighborhood over new in FV or Holly Springs now (we have moved from FV to Old Cary), especially if mu husband or I worked in downtown Raleigh. Looking at older neighborhoods with a new eye really did take a paradigm shift for me, but now I adore the 60s-70s neighborhoods.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:33 PM

467 posts, read 426,887 times
Growth is not necessarily always a good thing. If the growth comes too quickly or is unsustainable, it is better to have no growth at all.

NC's cities, as most people know, are very good at growing. In fact, they're downright booming. The challenge now is to make sure that the growth is sustainable and that new developments and projects will improve the landscape, not detract from it. Unfortunately, too many tract-type housing developments, strip malls, and big box stores, among other more "cookie-cutter" type developments, have continued to leave an ugly mark. What happened to people actually caring about the aesthetic qualities of architecture and not just low-cost this and low-cost that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary