Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 01:06 PM

805 posts, read 524,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
We're they passing on the school due to racial makeup, or academic performance? Big difference.
Uninformed pass based on school make up: free and reduced lunch, low English proficiency students, etc, and assumptions about academics.

The education my child received was second to none. She was identified highly gifted, and if I recall correctly (it's been a while), the school had extra money for gifted services because it was Title One.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 01:06 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

...one large thing thwarting residential development in Garner is the Swift Creek Watershed and surrounding areas. Garner can't grow north towards Raleigh, and the watershed forms a "barrier" along the south.

now that seems to be a salient point.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:28 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
We're they passing on the school due to racial makeup, or academic performance? Big difference.
Academic performance of a school is one measurement. School culture/climate is another. Both can be a plus or a negative to parents Black and White. Make no mistake there are affluent Black parents who are just as selective.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Academic performance of a school is one measurement. School culture/climate is another. Both can be a plus or a negative to parents Black and White. Make no mistake there are affluent Black parents who are just as selective.
That's because affluent blacks have similar values and goals as affluent whites, latinos, asians, etc. and seek those who have similar ideas. Like I said before this isn't about skin color but people make it out to be.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's because affluent blacks have similar values and goals as affluent whites, latinos, asians, etc. and seek those who have similar ideas. Like I said before this isn't about skin color but people make it out to be.
That is a Bada Bing! In fact is there more or less racial harmony at one of the schools compared to the other? Wouldn't surprise me if student interaction especially outside of school is more integrated at Panther Creek. I say that because the history of Garner is not necessarily one of Whites embracing Blacks while Panther Creek is newer and many came from previously affluent integrated areas. In fact I know that any number of transplants have sought out Cary because of its widely held reputation for racial integration and harmony.

I will share that from personal experience here, there and other where that it often is about skin color for some. I am thinking more about Garner than Cary when I say that. Old Garner isn't necessarily a place to get warm fuzzies. I have had personal negative experiences in Garner from Black and White. Why my guess is economic and the most direct confrontation came from another Black male who objected to the way I was dressed. Funny thing is I had a conversation with a couple in line who warmed up when I told them where I was from. We came from the same area and had pensions. They shared they also had pensions and were afraid to let people know this because transplants with pensions weren't liked.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
That is a Bada Bing! In fact is there more or less racial harmony at one of the schools compared to the other? Wouldn't surprise me if student interaction especially outside of school is more integrated at Panther Creek. I say that because the history of Garner is not necessarily one of Whites embracing Blacks while Panther Creek is newer and many came from previously affluent integrated areas. In fact I know that any number of transplants have sought out Cary because of its widely held reputation for racial integration and harmony.
And that’s another potential reason that racism keeps Cary buyers from choosing Garner: they may perceive Garner as having a racist atmosphere.

It’s all complex. I don’t think that race and racism should be excluded from the conversation.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
And that’s another potential reason that racism keeps Cary buyers from choosing Garner: they may perceive Garner as having a racist atmosphere.

It’s all complex. I don’t think that race and racism should be excluded from the conversation.
Race and racism are part of the discussion. The question is who are more racist? Folks in Garner or Cary. My votes are all Garner. My wife and son would agree.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Race and racism are part of the discussion. The question is who are more racist? Folks in Garner or Cary. My votes are all Garner. My wife and son would agree.
I agree with that.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I agree with that.
Where are you a transplant from?

Old 06-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Where are you a transplant from?
Philly area originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary