Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 03:05 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Philly area originally.
Suburban Philly I guess or on the Jersey side. Maybe Montgomery County probably went to a middle/upper middle class integrated school with a fairly cohesive population. However fifty years ago a different story in the area. I am probably way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 03:11 PM

805 posts, read 525,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Suburban Philly I guess or on the Jersey side. Maybe Montgomery County probably went to a middle/upper middle class integrated school with a fairly cohesive population. However fifty years ago a different story in the area. I am probably way off.
I’m not that old, haha, but yes a cohesive population. Smaller districts and same dynamics at play regarding real estate, school performance, race, etc.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
I’m not that old, haha, but yes a cohesive population. Smaller districts and same dynamics at play regarding real estate, school performance, race, etc.
No but you know the history. I am that old and know the history. I knew you were a child of a progressive suburban change.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:32 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's because affluent blacks have similar values and goals as affluent whites, latinos, asians, etc. and seek those who have similar ideas. Like I said before this isn't about skin color but people make it out to be.
This is exactly it. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to be around folks who have similar values and goals as yourself and your family. That is not racism.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:53 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
I might be a minority viewpoint, but I really like Garner because it's not like many Wake County suburbs, which seem to blur together more and more. I kind of like the blue collar, more laid back, traditional Southern vibe. Just like Cary and North Raleigh are places that the Westchester County, NY type crowd (nothing against them) migrates to because they feel comfortable in those surroundings, I see Garner as a place that someone from a more traditional southern area without so many transplants would feel more comfortable in. The diversity of places should be seen as an asset.

Does every place in the Triangle have to be an overly hectic, array of pricey homes on tiny lots and upscale chain businesses in fancy new buildings? It may eventually get more of that feel as the growth continues to push out (and then Smithfield and Siler City will be the closest places with the blue collar, traditional Southern feel), but can't it just be appreciated for what it is now?

Also, people who think Garner is "country" are making this observation in the context of its proximity to places like Cary and North Raleigh. If Garner were to be moved to most of the state's 100 counties with the same look and layout (minus the obvious different topographic differences in the mountains/coastal area), I would contend that it would be viewed as a fairly upscale and modern area. People only have the impressions they do because of what is nearby.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-03-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 09:20 PM

139 posts, read 109,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I might be a minority viewpoint, but I really like Garner because it's not like many Wake County suburbs, which seem to blur together more and more. I kind of like the blue collar, more laid back, traditional Southern vibe. Just like Cary and North Raleigh are places that the Westchester County, NY type crowd (nothing against them) migrates to because they feel comfortable in those surroundings, I see Garner as a place that someone from a more traditional southern area without so many transplants would feel more comfortable in. The diversity of places should be seen as an asset.

Does every place in the Triangle have to be an overly hectic, array of pricey homes on tiny lots and upscale chain businesses in fancy new buildings? It may eventually get more of that feel as the growth continues to push out (and then Smithfield and Siler City will be the closest places with the blue collar, traditional Southern feel), but can't it just be appreciated for what it is now?

Also, people who think Garner is "country" are making this observation in the context of its proximity to places like Cary and North Raleigh. If Garner were to be moved to most of the state's 100 counties with the same look and layout (minus the obvious different topographic differences in the mountains/coastal area), I would contend that it would be viewed as a fairly upscale and modern area. People only have the impressions they do because of what is nearby.
To step away from the landmine I apparently planted. . .

I think this is a great point. Garner’s more country than Cary, but a lot less country than Smithfield, or Dunn, or Clinton. Maybe that’s something to accept and celebrate. Maybe it’s just forever going to be ‘the less developed part’ of the Triangle and maybe that’s ok. Maybe it will forever be the preferred homebase for those who prefer sweet tea and homecooked biscuits to fusion sushi joints, and maybe that’s just great.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:46 AM

43,318 posts, read 77,165,481 times
I think of Garner more as "small town" than I do as "country."

Yes, the Garner ETJ is undeveloped, and could lend to a "country" label, but not so much more than a great deal of prior Cary or Raleigh's ETJs.
http://www.garnernc.gov/home/showdocument?id=234

And, it often is confusing to folks when a city USPS station services an area under the city Zip Code, but that area is not in the city.
That is true of most Wake County towns. The Zip Code is often from a municipality that does not have jurisdiction over the area. There is no "Wake County Zip Code," so properties must have a town Zip Code to receive mail, even when in unincorporated areas.
Add in areas in Johnston County, far exceeding the Garner town limits or ETJ limits, that have a Garner Zip, and "country" could be more accurate, IMO.
https://www.bing.com/maps?q=zip+code...29&FORM=HDRSC6

Old 06-04-2018, 06:26 AM

Mike raises a good point. We live in Johnston have a Clayton mailing address yet are not in the Clayton tax district. It is fully acceptable for us to say we live in Clayton. Our neighbors two blocks down also live in Johnston, not in the Clayton tax district with a Garner mailing address. Should they say they live in Garner or Clayton?

Old 06-04-2018, 06:36 AM

43,318 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Mike raises a good point. We live in Johnston have a Clayton mailing address yet are not in the Clayton tax district. It is fully acceptable for us to say we live in Clayton. Our neighbors two blocks down also live in Johnston, not in the Clayton tax district with a Garner mailing address. Should they say they live in Garner or Clayton?
"JoCo." Y'all live in JoCo.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"JoCo." Y'all live in JoCo.

That is another layer to the conversation. Vocabulary, dialect/accent and feeling comfortable around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary