Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:05 PM

21 posts, read 65,961 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

First, I want to say how much I've enjoyed reading all the posts and am so impressed with how nice and helpful everyone is.

I've been thinking about relocating to your beautiful area for quite some time but think I'm finally getting ready to make the jump and have managed to talk a friend into relocating also.

My friend has an 11 year old daughter so the school district and kid-friendly activities are important as is living in a safe, secure neighborhood. We are both in our 40's, single and interested in socializing, dating and nightlife also. I would like to live in a community that is within walking distance to at least a few stores or shops and has a community pool.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford a house right now but am hoping to find a townhome in the $200,000's range.

Does my ideal community exist, and if so, can I afford it?

Any suggestions on what communities and/or areas to consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Valerie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 02:56 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,053 times
Delta Ridge in Raleigh might work. Shopping is not too far.. but a grocery store I don't think is in this strip shopping center. I know there are a couple of restaurants and specialty shops & gas station. They have a community pool that is included in your HO fees. I'm sure there's more but I would have to think about it some more. By the way, you would also be able to afford a home in this subdivision.

Last edited by Janecj; 03-28-2008 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,952 times
Smile More areas to Choose from than you think

There are areas in Hillsborough, Carrboro, Chatham, and parts of Raleigh that would fit your interests and your budget. I suggest that you contact a Realtor who can help you start a search online - you will be under no obligation and you will gain a great deal of insight. Try it.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM

403 posts, read 353,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnn View Post
Hi All,

First, I want to say how much I've enjoyed reading all the posts and am so impressed with how nice and helpful everyone is.

I've been thinking about relocating to your beautiful area for quite some time but think I'm finally getting ready to make the jump and have managed to talk a friend into relocating also.

My friend has an 11 year old daughter so the school district and kid-friendly activities are important as is living in a safe, secure neighborhood. We are both in our 40's, single and interested in socializing, dating and nightlife also. I would like to live in a community that is within walking distance to at least a few stores or shops and has a community pool.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford a house right now but am hoping to find a townhome in the $200,000's range.

Any suggestions on what communities and/or areas to consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Valerie

I would suggest you look at possibly Cary and definitely Apex. They are great places to live, safe, lot's of shopping & dining and are close to the city for a little more action.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've already been in contact with one realtor in Chapel Hill but want to know what's really out there and consider all options before I limit myself to one area.

Does anyone know of any communities that actually have shops within walking distance such as Cary Park and Southern Village. I have a medical condition that sometimes prevents me from driving at all for long periods (sometimes for months at a time) so this is an important amenity for me.

Any thoughts on Cary Park or Southern Village?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Southern Village would be good, but the only thing you can get there for $200K or less is a 1 bedroom/1 bath condo (and I think the condo fees are about $150 a month). The condos are pretty close to the shops, so if that size works for you, then definitely check it out.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
I believe Southern Village may be out of that price range. However, the good news is that there are New Urbanism developments popping up all over the Triangle with pedestrian friendly walkways.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:54 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
If multi-family is what your budget dictates right now, consider a rental apt. Many decent communities w/o ownership/maintenance issues.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks for all the information. I spoke to a realtor and there are definitely one bedrooms (170's-190's) in my price range and possibly a few two bedrooms ($230's) in my price range in Southern Village.

Unfortunately the two bedrooms at Southern Village are not in my friend's price range and the three bedrooms (which she might need) is definitely not even close to her price range.

Can anyone suggest a nice community in a good school district with a community pool near Southern Village that has two bedrooms and possibly three bedrooms for $200,000 or under? We do not need to live in the same community but it would be nice to be near each other.

As for renting, there's a possibility I might rent initially to see if I like the area but ultimately want to own, not rent. I've always been a firm believer in owning, not renting although I realize that different options appeal to different people.

Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 AM

7 posts, read 18,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnn View Post
Hi All,

Thanks.

Valerie
Hi,

Welcome to the triangle!

I have been looking for a place to buy in the area, and I think you can find a nice small single family house around $250,000 in Cary, Apex or Morrisville. It's a buyer market, and you have lot of room for negotiation.

I am sure your realtor will talk to you about it. The problem I see with TH is when you decide to sell and there are other THs with similar floor plan on sale at the same time, the price just sinks...

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary