Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 11:45 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,545,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
LOL.

My current car only allows for CarPlay to cover 2/3rds of the iDrive Screen. So while driving following GPS I have Google maps on the left (which aligns to vehicle not North at top) and BMW map to the right, which is locked on North.

Can't stand the "North is always up" thing.

Generational differences are so much fun. Can honestly say I have never once driven with a paper map. First time I drove on my own to some place I didn't know (SE MA to Westchester Co NY) I had MapQuest directions printed out
Learning to navigate on a paper map spoiled me by being able to see the whole region in fairly decent detail. It's so frustrating to see the limited view on a 6,8,12 inch screen of a GPS compared to a 40" map. But they were crap for turn by turn/local instructions (unless you had the complete county/city road map book which had that detail) and my memory today wouldn't let me remember more than 2 turns ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 12:14 PM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Learning to navigate on a paper map spoiled me by being able to see the whole region in fairly decent detail. It's so frustrating to see the limited view on a 6,8,12 inch screen of a GPS compared to a 40" map. But they were crap for turn by turn/local instructions (unless you had the complete county/city road map book which had that detail) and my memory today wouldn't let me remember more than 2 turns ahead.

Shortcuts.
GPS too often is lazy and pads mileage by failing to note obvious secondary road options.

I worked with a very nice older lady about 20 years ago. She would have been a GPSer, for sure.
She commuted from Rolesville to Garner and had the route memorized.
They closed a segment to renovate a bridge, resulting in a half mile detour, and she freaked out.

I showed her the map book.
And, she did something I had never seen before. Or since.
Held the map to her face, flat, and tried to visualize the route and turns with her nose nearly on the paper.
Like she was a drone at 500'.
Yikes.
I said, "Hey. It is lunch time. Let's go for a ride."

Then, less than half a mile into the detour, we found the old roller rink she used to skate at 40-50 years earlier in her teens. She had to turn there to get back to her route.
That sealed the deal.

My wife is lost 5 miles or less from home.
GPS or not, I am never lost locally. Inconvenienced from time to time, yeah. Never lost.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:48 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times
Upcoming 5-week closure on Sauls Road.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...auls-road.aspx

Old 05-04-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
On or around July 25, a section of Pierce Olive Road will be closed for 8 months.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...live-c540.aspx
It's expected to be reopened tomorrow.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...rce-olive.aspx

Old 06-05-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Upcoming 5-week closure on Sauls Road.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...auls-road.aspx
It reopened on June 2.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-reopened.aspx

Old 06-09-2023, 07:51 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Not sure if my eyes/memory were playing tricks on me (Mandela effect?) or not....but in getting on 540 to drive up from 64 to Leesville road last night....the signs on 64 threw me off by reading " NC 540 West" and "540 East" instead of NC540 North and South respectively...which is what I swear they used to say at that exit up until now.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:14 AM

300 posts, read 973,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Not sure if my eyes/memory were playing tricks on me (Mandela effect?) or not....but in getting on 540 to drive up from 64 to Leesville road last night....the signs on 64 threw me off by reading " NC 540 West" and "540 East" instead of NC540 North and South respectively...which is what I swear they used to say at that exit up until now.
NCDOT changed the directional signs on the west side of 540 a few weeks ago, and it makes absolutely no sense. I-40 to NC 55 used to be "NC 540 West", because, you know, you were going West. Now it's "NC 540 East". NC 540 from NC 55 to US1 used to be East/West, and I believe it's now North/South, which makes a little more sense, but it's not consistent on signage.

I actually Tweeted NCDOT about this (yes, I'm old and cranky) and they claimed the directional change for NC 540 West to East is "to prepare for the completion of 540". I assume that means if you're on NC 540 in a counter-clockwise direction you'll eventually be going East again, but this makes absolutely ZERO sense. If you look at other beltways (ie: I-495 in MD/VA), the directional is always the actual compass direction, and it changes at major intersections.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:21 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
I have gone in the wrong direction on 540 because I assumed it was like the Washington Beltway. Now I use my navigation system as well apaper map.

Old 06-09-2023, 12:34 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,719,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
makes absolutely no sense.
I'm reminded of the infamous inner and outer signs on I-440, with the distinctive Capitol dome. NCDOT eventually solved the problem by removing I-440 along the south side of downtown. But Charlotte still has inner and outer signs on I-485.

540 between I-40 (near RDU) and US 1 (near Apex) should be signed north-south.
Between US 1 (near Apex) and US 70 (the Clayton bypass), should be signed east-west.
Between US 70 (the Clayton bypass) and US 1 (Wake Forest), should be signed north-south.
Between US 1 (Wake Forest) and I-40 (near RDU), should be signed east-west.
What is so difficult about that? Everybody in NC knows, or should know, what Four Corners means.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:53 PM

US-70 exit on I-40 near Garner to close for the weekend.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...0-project.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary