Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:12 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,642 times

Advertisements

AAA refers to Apple, Amazon and the Army HQ, potentially coming to Raleigh. NONE of the three have committed, although Apple seems to be the most likely of the three, at the moment.

If you think about it, Raleigh has an advantage over Seattle, at least as far as Amazon goes, as Amazon simply grew into Seattle. I doubt Seattle knew what it had when Amazon first arrived in their city. We are being given advanced notice, so we should use that to our benefit.

So, the city of Raleigh comes to you and asks you to outline a contingency plan in the event ALL three of the projects are given the go ahead. Let's say that the first new employee from any of the three companies doesn't set foot in Raleigh until late 2019 or early 2020.

After 2020, count on an early influx of 3,000 people the first year and an additional 3,000-5,000 a year for the next 5 years, at minimum.

Some things you already know or suspect. Amazon appears to want the Spring Hill area, while Apple is content with Weston Pkwy and then RTP.

What actions would you recommend to get ready for the influx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 07:34 AM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
AAA refers to Apple, Amazon and the Army HQ, potentially coming to Raleigh. NONE of the three have committed, although Apple seems to be the most likely of the three, at the moment.

If you think about it, Raleigh has an advantage over Seattle, at least as far as Amazon goes, as Amazon simply grew into Seattle. I doubt Seattle knew what it had when Amazon first arrived in their city. We are being given advanced notice, so we should use that to our benefit.

So, the city of Raleigh comes to you and asks you to outline a contingency plan in the event ALL three of the projects are given the go ahead. Let's say that the first new employee from any of the three companies doesn't set foot in Raleigh until late 2019 or early 2020.

After 2020, count on an early influx of 3,000 people the first year and an additional 3,000-5,000 a year for the next 5 years, at minimum.

Some things you already know or suspect. Amazon appears to want the Spring Hill area, while Apple is content with Weston Pkwy and then RTP.

What actions would you recommend to get ready for the influx?
I'm gonna open me a New American strip 'n tattoo joint and Pentecostal Gun and Pawn and used tire shop at the Arboreteum, with a branch at Mission Valley.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm gonna open me a New American strip 'n tattoo joint and Pentecostal Gun and Pawn and used tire shop at the Arboreteum, with a branch at Mission Valley.
LOL. Let me know if you are accepting memberships.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 AM

888 posts, read 806,565 times
My insurance company has its own roadside assistance so I'll use them.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
LOL. Let me know if you are accepting memberships.
Presale Platinum Lifetime?
Save $100,000 with a PPL $1000 purchase!

Old 06-06-2018, 07:40 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Buy as much real estate as possible?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:41 AM

Seriously, I am curious about who may be rolling the dice and speculating on properties.

I do like the "AAA," though.
There must be a fun domain name in there somewhere.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:46 AM

Where I was going with my opening post was, what forward thinking moves should be done now in preparation?

Immediately, I would think there would need to be some serious discussion about advancing some transportation initiatives. That includes looking into transit options, finding a way to really take advantage of the new Union Station, moving the RDU improvements forward and encouraging more high-density growth in downtown. Setup incentives for more companies to build high-density housing, not just for the high-end segment, but for every income level.

That would be where I would likely start. Thinking about setting the stage with the infrastructure now so we are ready when the new tenants arrive. If we wait for them to show up and build as we go, I believe it sets us up for a painful transition.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:48 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeru View Post
My insurance company has its own roadside assistance so I'll use them.
lols, my first thought when I saw the thread title as well.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Where I was going with my opening post was, what forward thinking moves should be done now in preparation?

Immediately, I would think there would need to be some serious discussion about advancing some transportation initiatives. That includes looking into transit options, finding a way to really take advantage of the new Union Station, moving the RDU improvements forward and encouraging more high-density growth in downtown. Setup incentives for more companies to build high-density housing, not just for the high-end segment, but for every income level.

That would be where I would likely start. Thinking about setting the stage with the infrastructure now so we are ready when the new tenants arrive. If we wait for them to show up and build as we go, I believe it sets us up for a painful transition.

Well, to be pedantic....
Your thread title indicates "Response," which is not the same as "Planning."

RDU is on their own timetable.
Replacing the runway is going to be tedious, but also a plus to prospective incoming employers.
Hopefully, another airline will step in to provide routine service to the west coast, besides Frontier's offerings.

I foresee the two new apartment complexes on Evans Road filling up real fast if Apple commits to Weston Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary