Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:30 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Just because it's a big bank doesn't mean it will be bad. Our best mortgage rate was from Wells Fargo and I couldn't believe how low it was. Beat the local credit unions. Our Wells Fargo agent was quick and super responsive and even now, all questions are answered quickly.
And I didn't say they were bad because they're big. They're bad because they have a track record of fraud, deception and class action lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:25 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Better rates and lower fees than the average lender. Wells Fargo mortgage and Wells Fargo bank are two different things FYI. Also who gives a crap? When I get something im paying money on every month for years I want the best deal I can get. If it's Wells Fargo then so be it. All these big banks were involved with some crap during the mid 2000's writing mortgages for people that shouldn't have had them. They all have done shady stuff. Getting your mortgage sold is really annoying and Wells keeps almost all of them. Another plus in my book.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:28 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Why does it have to be in the Raleigh area? We had first mortgage with BOA and the loan officer was in MD. We had a quote from Wells Fargo too and BOA total cost was better. We had some special circumstances back then which prevented me from shopping around more.

Later I refinanced with a random company I found online. They sold the mortgage to someone else but it’s just a small change (I pay through online banking).

Both times never visited any office in person. I’d just go with the best total cost, no matter where the company is.
When you get in a multiple offer situation having a local lender will be a positive. Out of state lender will be a negative. Being able to meet with the loan officer in person is a positive, especially if you need clarification or have an issue.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:43 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
When you get in a multiple offer situation having a local lender will be a positive. Out of state lender will be a negative. Being able to meet with the loan officer in person is a positive, especially if you need clarification or have an issue.
And, local processing and UW are also big plusses.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:59 AM

61 posts, read 51,283 times
Mark Wooten, SunTrust in Cary

We shopped several lenders - they gave us the best rate/terms and they were great through the entire process.
Closed within 30 days on a VA loan.

Can't recommend them enough.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:05 AM

124 posts, read 121,407 times
I used a local broker and everything went very smoothly and I received excellent personal service. I used American dream Residential. The rate I got was very competitive.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:

this, and as MikeJ said - local processing/underwriting.

If you've got a straight vanilla loan need (W2 employee, money has been siting in the Bank, easily-identified needs, house easy to appraise for contract price, plenty of due diligence time and no need for rushing to closing/occupancy) - then Wells or BofA are perfectly acceptable. You're just looking for the lowest rate/closing expenses.

The problem is so very few people wind up being that straight vanilla.

As to recommendations, your highly-capable Realtor will have at least 2 different people that they work with. People that provide value to the end-goal, with reasonable rates/fees. And those lenders will work hard to smooth over any issues, because they understand that Realtors are their best source of business. They don't pay us anything, and we wouldn't say they're good when they're not.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Better rates and lower fees than the average lender. Wells Fargo mortgage and Wells Fargo bank are two different things FYI.
Yeah, thanks, I'm aware. All the articles I posted relate to WF mortgage, and the company's shady dealings and ripping off consumers.

Quote:
Also who gives a crap?
Anyone who doesn't want be in business with crooks and con artists. You do? Thats cool. I'll pass, thanks.

Quote:
All these big banks were involved with some crap during the mid 2000's writing mortgages for people that shouldn't have had them.
That has nothing to do the articles I posted.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:39 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
And I didn't say they were bad because they're big. They're bad because they have a track record of fraud, deception and class action lawsuits.
And what big bank doesn’t? Do I or someone else care about that? No.

I got the best rate with WF Mortgage, agent was top class, loan was approved quickly and I have very easy online access to all mortgage issues and stats thanks to big bank online access portals. All questions answered right away whenever needed. Too much news these days - Who the hell cares about all that other stuff. This is my money and WF Mortgage helped me.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
And what big bank doesn’t? Do I or someone else care about that? No.
Actually, lots of other banks make mortgage loans without committing fraud. No need to get in bed with criminals. But hey, if it works for you, more power to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary