Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 06:27 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
How was the pizza at Kroger???

Kroger is based in Cincinnati. Need I say more?

(Don't EVEN get me started on their "Chili")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I expect that Kroger is making higher margins with HT, and is willing to reduce the dilution of their stake with letting HT strengthen market position.
Reduce distribution OH for 14 stores, retaining the best 8 locations for HT, and cash out on a few, and make more on the 8 as HT distribution is already established.
I don't believe that 1500 jobs will be lost. "Affected?" Sure. New T-Shirts and name tags.
Kroger is union. HT is not. Not sure in NC how that plays in.

Kroger has introduced their house brand into HT in some areas already so they can make a nickel off their own brands.

And, Kroger has a history of opening and closing stores T/O the area.
New Bern Avenue.
6 Forks @ Wake Forest.
Kildaire Farm Rd.
Wakefield.
NC 55 @ High House Rd.
South Raleigh. MLK or Poole Rd? I'm not sure.

I am sure there are several others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Has anyone ever noticed that we spend an inordinate amount of time on this forum talking about groceries and food in general? Not that I mind, just an observation. I wonder what percentage of our threads are about food?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Yes I have. I've noticed it quite a great deal
"Hipsters Hankering Hummus!?"
"Yuppies Yammering for Pizza?"

Old 06-14-2018, 07:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
The Kroger Company's Kroger Mid-Atlantic Division exits North Carolina through the transfer, divestment, and closing of its stores.

I am monitoring the Kroger Company's Kroger Atlanta Division stores in South Carolina. Kroger co-exists with Harris Teeter in Beaufort County. Kroger is present in Aiken, Horry, Lexington, and Richland counties. Harris Teeter is present in Charleston, Dorchester, Florence, Lancaster, and York counties, and will be returning to Greenville County this summer. I would not be surprised if the Kroger Atlanta Division transfers all of its South Carolina stores except Aiken and Beaufort counties to Harris Teeter. Kroger has presences in Augusta and Savannah, Georgia, to keep its Aiken and Beaufort county stores as Kroger.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:21 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Well, Does anyone knows who else sells Homestead Creamery Orange milk? The HTs I go to don’t sell it, and good luck getting glass bottle milk at Food Lion. They have a yellow one as well but I don’t think I would like it.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what are these items that they charge 3x the price for?

I shop at HT for about 90% of my non-Costco food purchases. I generally buy everything, though I'm certainly cognizant of buying specially-priced items.
I don't know about 3x but, for example, a gallon of milk at Kroger/Food Lion/Aldi/Costco is typically $1.99/gallon. I don't know if I've ever seen it under $3/gallon at HT.

I don't know if that additional markup is typical on all products but I do "feel" like I spend about 20% more when I shop at HT. So my $500/mnth grocery bill becomes $600 at HT.

That $100/month, invested at 7%, over 40 years = $262,000.

Even worse if you pick up a latte from the Starbucks in the HT foyer!

Old 06-14-2018, 09:10 AM

32 posts, read 35,349 times
The removal of Kroger on Timber in Garner is a real shame. I wish I had an idea of what they were going to do with that space.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
We buy almost all our groceries at Trader Joe's but we have a small family and enjoy trying their unique products. We shopped at Kroger for some staples and odds and ends.

That said, we are waiting impatiently for Wegman's. Too big for me to shop on a weekly basis but lots of fun for prepared food and interesting items. Deli sandwiches are excellent. I also hope they bring their excellent customer service with them when building new stores here.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:27 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
We buy almost all our groceries at Trader Joe's but we have a small family and enjoy trying their unique products. We shopped at Kroger for some staples and odds and ends.
I do most of my shopping at TJ's as well, but a few months ago discovered that Kroger sells organic greens by the pound. So, the same exact bunch of kale that is $2.99 at Whole Foods is usually around $1 at Kroger. I get a HUGE bag of organic kale for $3. Chard is also cheap. Oh well, maybe that's why they are shutting down. :-/

Old 06-14-2018, 12:02 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I shop at HT for about 90% of my non-Costco food purchases.
Same here. We spend ~85% of our grocery money at Costco. Virtually all the rest is spent at HT for items not sold at Costco, sold in quantities too large to store, or items not amenable to long-term storage.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:35 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
I have to think that this decision has to do mostly with changing demographics in the region. For a long time, NC has been dominated by chains like Winn-Dixie and Food Lion that are geared more towards lower incomes. As income levels in the Triangle have risen, along with the influx or people from the north and west, we have seen the arrival of more and more higher end and specialty grocers like Publix, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and now Wegmans.

From a business standpoint, it is smart of Kroger to focus its resources in areas where it can compete most effectively long into the future. In the next 5-10 years this area may see more closings of grocers like Winn-Dixie and Food Lion in areas that are becoming more affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary