Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 AM

369 posts, read 459,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfortytwo View Post
Eating downtown is ridiculously expensive and you have to pay to park.

I don't see the allure.

Happy I can go to Buku now without the hassle.

LOL! Have you ever been downtown? There are tons of restaurants at a vast array of price points. To say that all the restaurants in DTR are expensive is laughable.

Plus there is plenty of free parking and even if you have to pay its like $5. Not a huge amount of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 AM

459 posts, read 372,763 times
Quote:

I don't see the allure.

It was pretty normal to pay more than $15 to park in Los Angeles, I once accidentally paid $60+ to park in LA Live and $19 to park next to a Brazilian eatery.

Raleigh is still affordable.

I personally don't see the allure of living in suburbia where you have to drive absolutely everywhere just to do basic tasks like go grocery shopping. No wonder obesity is an pandemic in America. Walking and biking in DTR has really improved my health which makes sense the French like to jam as much butter in their mouths as humanly possible but they stay in shape because they walk it off.

Also Bu Ku was great when there wasn't much going on in Downtown Raleigh but the food they provide plays it really, really, really safe and Americanized. It reminds me of that 'authentic' bahn mi food truck we have here in Raleigh--they don't even offer pate on their bahn mi. Bahn mi has pate! You're telling me I can't even add it as an extra? That's not a bahn mi!

Old 06-20-2018, 01:33 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
I'd rather go eat downtown than try and eat at the Crabtree Kanki on a Saturday

Old 06-20-2018, 02:31 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I'm glad it's moving. Even though the Arboretum parking lot can get really crowded, it tends to be reasonable over on that side and you can always walk there quickly once you park for free at wherever you wind up.

Besides, it's very close to my house, so the convenience factor is a big thing regardless.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I'd rather go eat downtown than try and eat at the Crabtree Kanki on a Saturday
Doing anything at Crabtree on a Saturday is an exercise in futility.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
Quote:

I don't see the allure.

I don't see the allure of driving and eating in a mundane suburbia shopping center, then driving to the next destination.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:36 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:

I don't see the allure.

Funny, I would say the opposite on almost anything.

DT has lots of affordable options (already been said), but I am so disappointed in BuKu. Went there twice, and both times was underwhelmed. I've travelled around the world, not a ton, but I've been to Asia, S. America, Mid East and Europe, and I LOVE street food. I love trying what is common in the places I go. I think of it as an "Anthony Bourdain" (RIP) experience. BuKu is just overpriced, low quality, over de-simplified takes on the real thing. It's the international metaphorical equivalent to "The Pit" compared to Authentic BBQ. Sure, it may taste good, but it's way overpriced, overly "fancified", and loses exactly what it's trying to be in the process. I would say the same thing about Totopas, I'd much rather go to a Taquaria and get better food for 1/3 the price.

Glad for those that like BuKu. I'd like to try them again once in the new location, but to be honest, I'm not very motivated based on past experience, so I doubt I will. I wish them luck.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:36 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Funny, I would say the opposite on almost anything.

DT has lots of affordable options (already been said), but I am so disappointed in BuKu. Went there twice, and both times was underwhelmed. I've travelled around the world, not a ton, but I've been to Asia, S. America, Mid East and Europe, and I LOVE street food. I love trying what is common in the places I go. I think of it as an "Anthony Bourdain" (RIP) experience. BuKu is just overpriced, low quality, over de-simplified takes on the real thing. It's the international metaphorical equivalent to "The Pit" compared to Authentic BBQ. Sure, it may taste good, but it's way overpriced, overly "fancified", and loses exactly what it's trying to be in the process. I would say the same thing about Totopas, I'd much rather go to a Taquaria and get better food for 1/3 the price.

Glad for those that like BuKu. I'd like to try them again once in the new location, but to be honest, I'm not very motivated based on past experience, so I doubt I will. I wish them luck.
Agreed - Buku is one of those cases where they try and do a large variety of things but nothing really is outstanding IMO.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I don't see the allure of driving and eating in a mundane suburbia shopping center, then driving to the next destination.
And people who do not live downtown and just want to grab some food may not see the allure of driving down there to eat, either.

Sometimes, people want to eat and then go home. Sometimes, they want to eat and grab a movie... you can do that easily in the suburbs, all within a few miles of your house.

Eh.... not everyone will have the same needs, but it sounds like they had to move and there was an ideal spot not too far from everything, so they grabbed it.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:33 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
LOL! Have you ever been downtown? There are tons of restaurants at a vast array of price points. To say that all the restaurants in DTR are expensive is laughable.

Plus there is plenty of free parking and even if you have to pay its like $5. Not a huge amount of money.
Shhh. Keep them out. It's hard enough getting a reservation at all the good restaurants downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary