Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:12 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
"Similar" is subjective, but "identical" is not. There is no almost.

I don't think anyone ever said we almost have identical twins.

Well he meant similar if it wasn’t crystal clear so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 03:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I don't think anyone ever said we almost have identical twins.
Seriously?! You're going to critique my using of the phrase "almost identical"* and you're going to go and say "I don't think anyone ever said..." REALLY!! No one EVER in the history of the whole world has ever said the phrase "we almost have identical twins"?!! Get off it. Have you never heard anyone say something like that? Cause I have many, many, many times over. Grandmas upon looking at their grandchildren in matching outfits, "We almost have identical twins!" People with cars of the same make and model, "We almost have identical twins!" Even people who order the same freaking thing at a restaurant may use a phrase like that!

There is nothing wrong with the phrase "almost identical". Did you never do those little spot the differences in almost identical pictures?

*which again, I maintain, is true, in fact many people, especially in the Charlotte metro, would say the Carolinas share a single culture

Let me help you out a little more since you seem to have trouble understanding words.

Quote:
al·most
ˈôlˌmōst/Submit
adverb
not quite; very nearly.
"he almost knocked Georgina over"
synonyms: nearly, (just) about, more or less, practically, virtually, all but, as good as, close to, near, not quite, roughly, not far from, for all intents and purposes;
Quote:
i·den·ti·cal
ˌīˈden(t)ək(ə)l/Submit
adjective
similar in every detail; exactly alike.
"four girls in identical green outfits"
synonyms: indistinguishable, (exactly) the same, uniform, twin, duplicate, interchangeable, synonymous, undifferentiated, equivalent, homogeneous, of a piece, cut from the same cloth; More
Put it together and what do you get?

"not quite similar in every detail"
"very nearly exactly alike"
"nearly indistinguishable"
"(just) about (exactly) the same"
"more or less uniform"
"practically twin"

Which — you know what — is EXACTLY what I meant!!

Last edited by poppydog; 06-21-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 04:31 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

*which again, I maintain, is true, in fact many people, especially in the Charlotte metro, would say the Carolinas share a single culture
I'm sure that many people in Charlotte would say that about the Carolinas, because Charlotte is more similar to the culture in South Carolina, but Raleigh is not. You're making very general statements about the entire state and that is what i'm rejecting.

There are many states that have cities and regions within that state which are dissimilar. If you don't agree with what i've stated above, just ask others who live in Raleigh and have spent time in South Carolina.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 06-21-2018 at 04:41 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 05:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Again, I was just responding to the original poster. They brought up the culture of NC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Sounds like the culture is a bit different in NC where people prefer to go to malls & downtowns aren’t really vibrant centers of commerce.
I responded to that, in fact I quoted it, and also disputed it and brought it back around to Raleigh. I think the culture of NC is almost identical to SC and I think Raleigh is more like Columbia SC than Sacramento, Pittsburgh, or any of the other cities in the original list.

You may disagree but “almost identical” is a very appropriate phrase and it was very appropriate to respond to the OP’s introduction of the state culture.

And Charlotte and Raleigh are extremely similar. I prefer Raleigh but the idea that they are vastly different cities is off base. In fact they are sibling cities and more like each other than either is like any other city, including Columbia SC, however, there are many similarities between Raleigh and Columbia (which I have elaborated on) and since the OP is from SC I thought Columbiamight be a more familiar point of comparison.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:48 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times

Old 06-22-2018, 04:00 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Well, with all due respect, actually, it is nearly identically similar to that....

Old 07-24-2020, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,297 times
Default Yup

I assumed the only people responding to this are southern people bragging on their history in the south. I did not thing it was going to be an open forum about what you really think about Raleigh good or bad. I'm kind of sick of southern people using city data to gripe about the way they feel transplants treat them. Maybe you should get a shrink if it's bothering you so much.

The way I see it, southern people are not inclusive. They are ridiculous about this. They deserately hold onto the old southern ways like well racism, culturalism, and eliteism. Generally northern people are very tolerant of almost anything. If you move to Maryland from any state, Marylanders welcome you with open arms. They encourage it. We like new types of people. It's one of the reason why people consider maryland liberal like Denver, CO. In particular Maryland is very diverse, a large african amerian population in Baltimore.

We don't have any culturalism, in Maryland. The beautiful part about living in Maryland was that when new people moved in we embraced them, new ideas we basiclally loved them as people.

I don't know where people got the idea that southern people are friendly, and have something like southern charm.

Southern people are very stand offish, and very into southern culture. They are very closed minded about outside ideas. You would be hardpressed to males that were openly gay here. Lesbians who were openly gay here. There are not alot of Asian people, or Indian people, or people from Pakistan.

I'm just going to say it the way it is. Southern people have an inferiority complex about people from NY, or Maryland, or Virginia, or DC, or Boston.

Southern people are not very intellectual, open to change. They are the slowest to make friends, or IMO are mentally unable to make friends with anyone except people who their clones.

IE southern males only make friends southern males. Southern females don't let non southern females into their life.

So if your thinking of moving south because rent is cheaper or whatever myth you have heard. I would do my homework.

You will find that if your not from the south, they will reject you. I mean it. I'm just saying this to save you from the heartache that I experienced.

I have had alot of friends, many girlfriends, am extroverted. I love to have to good time. I go regularly. I am educated, middle class. I drive a nice car. By normal standards I'm attractive male.

When I visisted Florida right before I moved to North Carolina, I met numbers of girls, who were very pretty, sweet, funny, nice. One girl hung out with me all night. We became friends, she was very sweet, very attractive.

When I decided (foolishly) to move to North Carolina, all of the good times ended. People in North Carolina, are shy, stand offish, the women here are very shy, and not very extroverted.

In fact there are cliques here in Wilmington, NC that are disturbing.

Heres the lowdown.

Retirees: They tend to want attention from younger people. I am in the 35-49 demographic. I am still young. They want attention from women in this demographic badly. They will go out of their way to get their attention. Retirees will then 'diss' you when they get such attention. I don't personally care about retirees. I don't think about them much. They will use you if your a male in this age group, to get attention attention from other people. Verdict. Retirees in Wilmington act narcisstic.

College Students: I am also a grad of a respected state University. I can relate to some of the ways the UNCW folks act. They are clean cut, educated, do things together. But if your over 30 they will not talk to you. Rarely unless they have to, or are bartenders.

This is another issue because in Florida it's not that way. People in their late 20's hang out with people in their 30's and even early 40's. Here in the south, they are not flexible with this.

Ok onto male standards in the south.

I'm from the MD/Philly/DE/NY area. The standards there for males are males who are athletic, nice hair, good job, nice car, good personality they gernally can meet women. It's a fact.

Here in the south. Hold the phone. Southern males are not like guys from the Mid Atlantic.

Here are some of the things that nobody told you about the south.

Southern males wear buckknives out where they go. You heard me right. They carry hunting knives. This is accepted. It's not like being in NYC where that BS wouldn't fly with the cops. Males in the south tend to be very over weight. They many times weight 400-600lbs are grossly obesse. In NYC that kind of guy would be hated.

In the south they are popular. Women here tend not to like men from the North East. Don't get any fairy tale ideas about you and a chick from the south hooking up. Unless you attened UNCW then maybe.

If your not from the south, they don't let you connect with them. You can try anything, and nothing works.

Right off the bat, if your a single guy say aged 24-49 I would consider this. You will not be as popular with women in the south as you were say in NYC, or Baltimore. I mean it. You will be lonely. I"m just telling you.

Finally people in the south don't value cool people with cool personalties. If your from NYC, or Baltimore, or Boston people from those cities make deep and lasting friendships with people. These are very special to them. I have relatives from Boston, lived in Baltimore, family from New Endland. I know the facts.

You will find that people in the south do not allow you to have special friendships that make life complete. The one where you meet your future wife, or your all time best friend.

Frankly I suprised no one told you this.

I have met people here who have lived in Raliegh for years and still don't have a friend. Thats sad. I have been in Wilmington NC for 1 year and I am still friendless. Thats unusuall for me.

Part of the reason I believe is that there is too much culturalsim in North Carolina. People here are narrow minded, reluctant to change, and when they have something good, they will not let you have anything.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:24 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowape View Post
I assumed... anything.
Yeah. We see that.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:27 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
. I have been in Wilmington NC for 1 year and I am still friendless. Thats unusuall for me.

Based on your post here, I am not surprised at all lol

Old 07-24-2020, 04:29 PM

628 posts, read 399,608 times
Quote:
I have been in Wilmington NC for 1 year and I am still friendless.
That doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, it makes total sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary