Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 06:48 PM

197 posts, read 958,011 times

Advertisements

If you move into Wake County from another school district, will WCPSS take your child’s test scores from the prior year (ITBS/COGaT) and identify them as AIG upon enrollment and let them immediately take AIG classes, or do they only take test scores/identify AIG after you are enrolled in WCPSS, meaning they could not take AIG classes the first year of enrollment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 07:04 PM

466 posts, read 700,731 times
This is timely as we are moving to Cary and our second child was recently identified as AIG. Here is what I found out, and anybody please correct me if this is incorrect:

If your child has an AIG designation, you can apply into an AIG magnet school (although based on the timing of when you move this may be difficult--we did not look into this as the magnet schools are far away from west Cary).

If you stay at the base school, your child will be in a regular classroom but will have pull-out instruction with other AIG students as well as differentiated assignments in certain areas compared to non-AIG students.

WCPSS will take test scores from the previous year and from out of state, just keep the records/forms that you receive as proof.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 PM

197 posts, read 958,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
This is timely as we are moving to Cary and our second child was recently identified as AIG. Here is what I found out, and anybody please correct me if this is incorrect:

If your child has an AIG designation, you can apply into an AIG magnet school (although based on the timing of when you move this may be difficult--we did not look into this as the magnet schools are far away from west Cary).

If you stay at the base school, your child will be in a regular classroom but will have pull-out instruction with other AIG students as well as differentiated assignments in certain areas compared to non-AIG students.

WCPSS will take test scores from the previous year and from out of state, just keep the records/forms that you receive as proof.
Thanks!-
When can you apply to a magnet? As a transfer for the current incoming year, or during the magnet application period (Jan-Feb) for the following year?

Different topic, but do you know how hard it is to enroll at a traditional calendar school if you move into a YR school district ?

Old 06-20-2018, 05:57 PM

466 posts, read 700,731 times
I think you have to register with your base school first and then try to apply to either a magnet school or a traditional calendar school in the usual Jan-Feb time period. Whether you can apply before you start, I dunno. May be worth a call to the central office. The nice thing about WCPSS is that the central office is open most of the summer due to the different school calendars.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
If you are moving this summer? You won't be able to apply for a magnet until Jan-feb.

I went around this by buying a house in a magnet school neighborhood. My daughter went to Martin Middle and Broughton.

My daughter's ITBS/CoGat scores placed her in the top 4% of her grade level in our former district. When we moved here, she was tested again. But WCPSS declined to put her in AIG because her grades/achievement did not reflect her aptitude. She has ADD so school is hard for her.

As a middle schooler the loss of this designation did not seem to matter one bit. At Martin, all classes are available to all students. Students are not limited to what courses they can take if they are a neighborhood student v. magnet student. In high school, I'm sure it did not matter at all.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Do a quick search for Wake school assignment questions on this forum, there are some good insights.

You are always guaranteed a place at the “base school”. An alternative calendar school is possible if there is space but I believe there is some element of luck and once they decline it’s pretty much impossible to appeal.

The magnet lottery and the whole school musical chair game is in January-February, so I suspect at least for the first year you might be stuck with base school.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:27 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post

I just realized...I thought my daughter's previous scores were not accepted so they retested her, but now I don't know if they tested her IQ and/or her aptitude. I mean, she had aptitude scores from her former school as well. I don't know what test they gave her here. I never thought to specify and they did not share her exact scores. If only she had taken her Adderal that day, she would have aced whatever it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary