U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 08:11 PM

403 posts, read 311,000 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an update to the Cary water restrictions? I know the current restrictions only went until March 31st. I am hoping they will go back to alternate day watering, as Jordan Lake is 3 feet over full.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 PM

146 posts, read 663,261 times
Cary says they'll start allowing "some" lawn watering next week - they'll make the official announcement regarding how much on Monday.
abc11.com: Cary officials say they will allow lawn watering to resume 3/29/08

Old 03-29-2008, 10:49 PM

3,193 posts, read 8,022,546 times
Just a rant here, but I work with a woman who lives in Cary and she's always saying..."Lake Jordan is full and it's because Cary has had restrictions in place for years". She really has no clue what's she's talking about. Jordan lake has a MUCH bigger water shed and it has MUCH less customers using its water. Does she really think that the average household in Cary uses less water than Raleigh and that's why Jordan lake is full, while Falls lake is still trying to get back there? I told here about Jordans water shed being bigger and the fact that it has far less users and she still thinks the reason they have plenty of water is because Cary had/has "limited" water restrictions in place while "Raleigh People" just kept watering their lawns! I've never watered my freakin' lawn and we would have been in the drought regardless of people watering their lawns.

Rant off

Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM

3,167 posts, read 7,126,916 times
Cary has relaxed the restrictions:

Cary, Apex Ease Restrictions on Outdoor Watering :: WRAL.com

And a note on waterboy's rant:

Yes, Cary has a far superior supply, but that is only part of the story. Cary has also had tiered water pricing. That and the alternating day restrictions really contribute to less usage.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM

202 posts, read 907,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Just a rant here, but I work with a woman who lives in Cary and she's always saying..."Lake Jordan is full and it's because Cary has had restrictions in place for years". She really has no clue what's she's talking about. Jordan lake has a MUCH bigger water shed and it has MUCH less customers using its water. Does she really think that the average household in Cary uses less water than Raleigh and that's why Jordan lake is full, while Falls lake is still trying to get back there? I told here about Jordans water shed being bigger and the fact that it has far less users and she still thinks the reason they have plenty of water is because Cary had/has "limited" water restrictions in place while "Raleigh People" just kept watering their lawns! I've never watered my freakin' lawn and we would have been in the drought regardless of people watering their lawns.

Rant off
Allowing Cary/Apex residents to water there lawns will not decrease the amount of water in Falls Lake. Like you said Apex/Cary are blessed with Jordan lake. There are advantages to living in Raleigh over Cary/Apex but unfortunately this isn't one of them.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,247,708 times
I was worried that we would not be allowed to water because it would look bad even though Cary has plenty of water, but I suspect the town didn't want to lose the revenue (it's very expensive to water your lawn in Cary, especially if you go over allocation). I am surprised that they are still allowing three days of watering because I thought they would go to two.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 PM

3,193 posts, read 8,022,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithgolf2000 View Post
Allowing Cary/Apex residents to water there lawns will not decrease the amount of water in Falls Lake. Like you said Apex/Cary are blessed with Jordan lake. There are advantages to living in Raleigh over Cary/Apex but unfortunately this isn't one of them.
My point was that this woman thought Lake Jordan was full purely because they had odd/even water restrictions. That is NOT why the lake is full. I could care less if Cary/Apex residents want to water their lawns...

Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,247,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
My point was that this woman thought Lake Jordan was full purely because they had odd/even water restrictions. That is NOT why the lake is full. I could care less if Cary/Apex residents want to water their lawns...
I agree with you, but it was somewhat irresponsible for Raleigh to have waited so long to put in restrictions. Also, my understanding is that in Raleigh it is relatively cheap to water your yard (at least compared to Cary). Dire Wolf is right about the tiered pricing. I hated it when we moved here, but now I appreciate the purpose of the pricing structure. Raleigh's situation would not be as severe if they had the same restrictions and pricing structure as Cary. I think it would still be pretty bad though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary