Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,581,696 times

Advertisements

I wasn’t aware of this until I went to Walgreens to pick up a prescription. The guy in front of me was literally screaming at the pharmacist and techs about it. Using all sorts of colorful language because clearly they can control it.

Not surprised though. Rite-aid was never that popular and I don’t know of anyone who used them (granted I’m sure some did and just aren’t in my circle of friends).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,810,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Rite-aid was never that popular and I don’t know of anyone who used them (granted I’m sure some did and just aren’t in my circle of friends).
Me either. When we were still living in Goldsboro, we used Eckerd a lot but once it became Rite-Aid, we stopped. I’ve been told that particular Rite-Aid closed recently too. We’ve been using Walmart pharmacy for the past few years since most of our prescriptions are on their $4 list, though I had a bit of sticker shock last month when my PCP called in Propranolol to help control my terrible bouts of PVC’s and sinus tachycardia. Walmart charged $44. For some reason, all of the other beta blockers are on the $4 list except Propranolol.

My PCP initially gave me Metoprolol and it made me sick, then my cardiologist gave me Carvedilol and it did nothing for my PVC’s and refused to give me something else, so my PCP gave me Propranolol and so far, it’s helped a lot.

Last edited by LM117; 07-06-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 12:06 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
For the last decade at least it seems that everytime RiteAid built a pharmacy, Walgreens built another one across the corner from it. That always had me mystified as to the reasoning, other than to drive RiteAid out of business. Success!

Old 07-06-2018, 01:24 PM

634 posts, read 912,253 times
What other businesses slot into the Rite Aid sized, often stand-alone buildings with drive-throughs?

Drive-through only groceries, anyone?

Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
For the last decade at least it seems that everytime RiteAid built a pharmacy, Walgreens built another one across the corner from it. That always had me mystified as to the reasoning, other than to drive RiteAid out of business. Success!
Clustering is common among retailers, especially competitors. It's why you'll often see a Burger King a stones throw from a McDonalds as well. These kind of "convenience" retailers have similar models which cause them to end up in similar locations. It also has been shown to yield increased traffic to a particular area when there's more of one thing.

They do it for a reason, it's not all that crazy when you look at the rationale behind it.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:51 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrkd View Post
What other businesses slot into the Rite Aid sized, often stand-alone buildings with drive-throughs?

Drive-through only groceries, anyone?
I’ve seen Dollar Tree stores pop up in vacant Rite-Aids. As a matter of fact, the Dollar Tree at NC 55/High House in Cary was an Eckerd/Rite Aid that didn’t last too long.

Dollar General is another possibility, but you don’t see that as much; That chain took on a couple of the shuttered Walmart Express stores a few years ago.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:45 PM

1,288 posts, read 1,595,482 times
I’ve seen anything from a daycare to a Trade-It store take over a Rite Aid. In Boone they split one in half and one side is a Dollar General, the other is a bicycle shop.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,344,590 times
Many of the former Eckerd/RiteAid locations have now been converted to dollar stores in Charlotte as well as Greenville, SC areas. I always liked Eckerd and thought their locations were nice. They never seemed to maintain their customer base after becoming Rite Aid.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:03 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,705,470 times
N&O has a list of closings in the Triangle: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...214686200.html

Old 07-13-2018, 03:38 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
currently, i'm working on the RA/Walgreens project. previously, i did the Kerr/Walgreen's switch. the RA's are closing where
they are close to a Walgreens...right now, that's the RA at Timberlyne in Chapel Hill which is a 7-iron from a newer Walgreens.
here's something that might be of interest:
usually, the RA branded items are clearanced at a high discount (Kerr brands were 70% off), so my advice
is to scout your local "to be closed" RA. personally, i stocked up on first aid items, batteries, and paper products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary