Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 11:14 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG718 View Post
Good morning everyone! I hope you had a nice 4th of July.

Some clarification, no car payments, it is just literally just $223 dollars a month for full car insurance. It's insane which is why I was wondering a round about price on car insurance in NC. I agree after thinking about it $30k is pretty low. So I am still unsure. However I appreciate all of your thought and comments on this matter!
You don't have to answer this if you don't want to obviously...but did you get into/cause a major accident?

$225 is an insanely high auto-insurance premium for one (presumably) used car.

I would imagine auto-insurance would be higher if you are in a very urban area like NYC compared to here....but if your premium is already that high; chances are it won't be THAT much lower here. I think it may be tough to get approved for an apartment with a DTI ratio that included an auto-insurance payment like that with a $30k AI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 11:33 AM

68 posts, read 77,840 times
Of course not. Never any car accidents (knock on wood) perfect credit, have been driving for over 10 years and have had my drivers license for 15 years. Vehicle total 6 month premium: $1,330.60. For full coverage. I also have an older car under my policy which is $662.90 per 6 months. That is only liability, nothing else. Monthly total for both cars comes to $337.50 and that is with the good driver discount and the defensive driving course! Pure robbery over here! I only gave information about the full insurance car because I was leaving the option open for myself to see approximately what NC charges for full insurance in case I wanted to finance or lease a car in NC.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:35 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
It depends. You'll probably bring home $2,000 - $2,200 per month. Do you have a car payment? Student loans? Any other debt?

If you are out of debt, live frugally and pay no more than $600 to $800 per month in rent (which means you'll most likely have a roommate) then its doable.
2,000 - 2,200 a month is very optimistic. That won't include insurance, 401k, etc. That's a very high take home from a 30k a year job. And it will have to be very frugal living unless you get a roommate.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:35 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
2,000 - 2,200 a month is very optimistic. That won't include insurance, 401k, etc. That's a very high take home from a 30k a year job. And it will have to be very frugal living unless you get a roommate.
My previous job had an annual salary of $32k when I started and $38k when I left (4 years later). Monthly take home pay was about 1800ish when I started and right around 2100 when I left (except for those two or three glorious months a year when there would be 3 pay-days in a month!). That was with 12% employer contribution to 403b and health insurance included (ie.....no monthly premiums/dues coming out of my check other than FICA and State Income Tax)

Old 07-05-2018, 12:48 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
I think you just need to be realistic. $30K is a doable salary, but not to have your own apartment and have a car payment. I made less at my first job, had roommates, no car payment, and really had to watch my budget (as I only got paid once a month). It would be hard for me to go back to that salary now that I'm married, have a house, husband, and a job. I think you just need to consider if there is room to grow or other opportunities that will be available to you.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:55 PM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
With no debt to worry about, 30k can be managed as a perfectly livable, though not comfortable, salary. Sure you have to stick to a budget, but plenty of people in this region make do with that or less.

It is inevitable that as people get accustomed to a more comfortable lifestyle, you forget how not everyone is so fortunate (I have been guilty of this as well).

Old 07-05-2018, 04:19 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Maybe. Most local governments provide individual health care at no charge to the employee, but Wake County could be different. And frankly, given the low salary, I was assuming the OP wouldn't contribute to a 401K temporarily until his/her salary went up. Although as I think about it, he/she will have a forced 6% contribution to the state retirement system.

But even with 30% taken out for taxes, etc, that would still leave $2,000 a month.

Last edited by BC1960; 07-05-2018 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-05-2018, 04:51 PM

68 posts, read 77,840 times
Which is what I am trying to get an idea of, if left with $2,000 a month and rent is lets say with no roommate $900 after car insurance, electric and whatever else apartment wise, what would I be left with? Approximately what is car insurance? Approximately what would a monthly electric bill be?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:22 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG718 View Post
Which is what I am trying to get an idea of, if left with $2,000 a month and rent is lets say with no roommate $900 after car insurance, electric and whatever else apartment wise, what would I be left with? Approximately what is car insurance? Approximately what would a monthly electric bill be?
I'd expect car insurance to $50 to $75 a month and electricity in a small apartment to be about the same (on average for a year). Internet will be $50. Don't forget cell phone, gasoline, vehicle maintenance...

Old 07-05-2018, 05:49 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'd expect car insurance to $50 to $75 a month and electricity in a small apartment to be about the same (on average for a year). Internet will be $50. Don't forget cell phone, gasoline, vehicle maintenance...
…. groceries, fast food/restaurant, entertainment, laundry, clothes, dental, medical not covered by insurance, ……...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary