Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:17 PM

703 posts, read 780,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You guys totally miss the point of these types of venues. They are not envisioned to be operations that mainly cater to families in suburbia who want to fill up the minivan on a weekend and head out for a nice Sunday dinner.

These places are designed to be urban, innovative places that serve popular food items to people on the go. These are people who walk or bike from their offices, or condos, or apartments, or other businesses to these locations. That's why you see more and more of these food halls popping up in dense urban cores.

It's amazing how some people always complain about the same thing again and again as their first issue with a place, and that thing is parking. If that is your only concern, then this venue may not be for you.
No one is complaining here, and don't assume that everyone's just not "getting" it, like you obviously do. I would love to see this spot be successful. But I've seen a lot of good ideas in businesses - especially food-related, that just somehow miss the mark. It's often a very fine line between success and failure when it comes to the consumer marketplace. Nothing is "can't miss". There are eons of places that were great in concept and design, but failed in execution. No doubt this food hall is a great concept. We'll see how well it executes. I'll stop back with my thoughts after my first visit, hopefully later in the month. Hoping for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
No one is complaining here, and don't assume that everyone's just not "getting" it, like you obviously do. I would love to see this spot be successful. But I've seen a lot of good ideas in businesses - especially food-related, that just somehow miss the mark. It's often a very fine line between success and failure when it comes to the consumer marketplace. Nothing is "can't miss".
Of course nothing is can't miss, but i'm bullish on this for a number of reasons. First, it's situated in a congested and growing area of downtown which is basically a lunchtime "food desert." I know because I live in that area. Secondly, this venue offers many local entrepreneurs an opportunity to have a cost effective brick and mortar operation which they might not have a chance to have otherwise.

Knowing the demographics in this area, their lifestyle, and how they like to socialize and consume food, I think that this is a winner. Furthermore, I know the owner and founder of this food hall, and he has a solid reputation for developing food and beverage establishments that are crazy successful.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I've been to the Morgan Street Food Hall for a sneak peek on their media day. I agree nothing is a "sure thing" but I believe this place will be a success. There are 20+ food vendors, a florist, and indoor/outdoor bar and plans for an additional bar. There is a ton of seating both indoor and outdoor and an additional two vendors outside in container boxes. Parking is readily accessible at the nearby Dillon Parking deck for $2 an hour. Actually I found free street parking when I went.

I think the Food Hall will be a game changer in the Warehouse District. The Hall along with the recent addition of The Dillon - housing, office and retail and the recently opened Union Station have completely transformed that part of downtown.

It may not be designed to be a destination for people driving in from North Raleigh or some other bedroom community, but think there are enough people already living and working downtown combined with people who will already be in that part of town for other things that there is a healthy customer base.

The Hall will open on July 23rd so we don't have to wait to long to see how busy it gets.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 PM

459 posts, read 373,418 times
Yeah this food hall will service the workers, visitors, and people living in DTR--almost all those living in DTR have above average incomes especially within walking distance of this Food Hall. There's many car centric mix-use areas in Raleigh meant for those that can't see themselves walking more than a hundred feet. Cameron Village is probably the transition between suburban and urban mix-use and Brier Creek would be the car heavy suburbia mix-use example.

I haven't used my car since coming back from Portugal in April so I'm looking forward to this even though I wish there wasn't as many local chains. Compared to the food halls I've visited throughout Europe and the US this one is middle grade on the foodie scale but the other food hall (Transfer Co. - Olde East) is only a few months away from opening and will have more options so can't really complain.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Haven't been there yet, but I feel like it's like the Faneuil Hall food court in Boston. Which is extremely popular (but Faneuil Hall draws lots of crowds due to history).

Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
My first thought after viewing the pictures was, 'there's a mall somewhere in America missing it's food court'. Anyone got a list of all the vendors?
It's pretty much a hipster expensive trendy foodcourt. There are a few here in Chicago and a burger and fries costs $20. Meanwhile, the non-trendy hole-in-the-wall burger joint down the street has a cheeseburger combo with fries and a drink for $6.99.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's pretty much a hipster expensive trendy foodcourt. There are a few here in Chicago and a burger and fries costs $20. Meanwhile, the non-trendy hole-in-the-wall burger joint down the street has a cheeseburger combo with fries and a drink for $6.99.
What's the name of this joint? I'd love to check it out when i'm back in Chicago?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Don't discount the synergy between a fun bar setting and casual quick bite options. I can totally imagine this as a go to place on nice evenings with friends.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:26 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Yeah this food hall will service the workers, visitors, and people living in DTR--almost all those living in DTR have above average incomes especially within walking distance of this Food Hall. There's many car centric mix-use areas in Raleigh meant for those that can't see themselves walking more than a hundred feet. Cameron Village is probably the transition between suburban and urban mix-use and Brier Creek would be the car heavy suburbia mix-use example.

I haven't used my car since coming back from Portugal in April so I'm looking forward to this even though I wish there wasn't as many local chains. Compared to the food halls I've visited throughout Europe and the US this one is middle grade on the foodie scale but the other food hall (Transfer Co. - Olde East) is only a few months away from opening and will have more options so can't really complain.
What's going in Transfer Co? I haven't really heard much about that one.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 PM

459 posts, read 373,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
What's going in Transfer Co? I haven't really heard much about that one.
It's coming together. The core of it is done but the grocery store will take longer to build. I guess by late fall it will be up and running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary