Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
OP, note that the name of the venue is KOKA Booth.
And FYI, Koka Booth is the person for whom the venue was named. First and last name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
I stood on the field *well, in a chair on the field* in 1988 to see Pink Floyd at Carter-Finley. They played in the rain and it rained off and on all night.

When the show was over, the mud on the field was so thick I wound up with it up to my ankles by the time I waded out.

I had to get a friend to help tug me up the first couple of stairs. LOL.

It was a great show and the rain through the laser lights was something I'll never forget. In fact, that show is my absolute favorite stadium concert of all time.

Dress for the weather, OP. Outdoor shows are like that.

Here... enjoy a setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pink-...-1bd7cdcc.html

Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 PM

Re: Koka Booth last night, though... I have several friends who went and it looks like they had a blast, despite the rain.

Also... I saw Willie Nelson there around this time last year and it was like a fetid rainforest outside that day. The heat was BRUTAL. The man played his whole set into some industrial fans.

I almost wilted and some dude beside me was vaping so hard, I left smelling like mango-pineapple-vanilla mist.

Was a great show, btw.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
Oh P.S - someone told us (group of about 20 British women!) to sit down during Thompson Twins. We are at a concert people - the idea is to get up and dance etc!!!!

Old 07-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
Oh P.S - someone told us (group of about 20 British women!) to sit down during Thompson Twins. We are at a concert people - the idea is to get up and dance etc!!!!
If you are in the assigned seats at Koka, they expect you to sit.

If you want to dance, they expect you to go out on the lawn.

It's a very small venue.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,546 times
We were on the lawn!!
But I've NEVER been to a concert where people just sit in their seats. Broadway shows - yes. Cabaret - yes. Chamber Music - Yes.
Bruno Mars - No!

Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM

124 posts, read 121,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
But, they should have a way to communicate over the speakers or at least have a standard built in PA. Having a dude come out once with a megaphone and point it randomly so everyone hears only a bit here or there doesn’t work.
I just assumed they were trying to stay away from electrical equipment like microphones, plugged in guitars etc, to reduce the risk of getting struck by lightning.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:15 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
And FYI, Koka Booth is the person for whom the venue was named. First and last name.
The venue was named the Amphitheatre at Regency Park when it opened in 2000. Was renamed in 2005 for Mr Booth, who had retired from politics after serving as Mayor of Cary for 12 years.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...e10030451.html

Old 07-18-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
We were on the lawn!!
But I've NEVER been to a concert where people just sit in their seats. Broadway shows - yes. Cabaret - yes. Chamber Music - Yes.
Bruno Mars - No!
I've never been to any like that that were rock shows except for at Koka Booth.

Asking people to sit down on the lawn is odd. Were you blocking some people who were there before you?

Old 07-18-2018, 05:46 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
I was there last night with my wife and 2 sons (13 and 9).

I have seen the B-52s about 6 times over the last 30 years (twice at Koka Booth) and they are always excellent. It's amazing that they are still going strong in their 60's. I was so disappointed that their set got cut off.

We left at 8:45 when the second soaking started, so we did not get to see Culture Club. I was looking forward to that show because I had never seen Culture Club.

Now. . . "Thompson Twins' Tom Bailey" was not "Thompson Twins". It was purposely billed this way as to not imply that we were seeing the Thompson Twins. Even though Tom and his all-girl band played the Thompson Twins hits, I was not impressed with his/their performance. He kept switching things up by altering the tempo, cadence of the lyrics, and adding weak guitar riffs. I had trouble singing along. He totally butchered my favorite TT song; "If You Were Here".

Oh, and my kids loved the rain. I think that they may have loved the excitement of the rain more than the concert itself.

Oh and as a side note. . . . . I have never seen more gray hair, varicose veins, and cellulite at a concert as I did last night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary